Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Linking 2 separate Qantas tickets - check bag through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I've got two separate Qantas bookings. LHR - DXB and DXB - SYD.
Am I able to link them so I can check my bag LHR - SYD?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I take it that you are not connecting QF2-QF2 or QF10-QF10 , since if you are, you have a bigger risk that the booking could be cancelled out

iirc, Qantas will perform online baggage transfers , so if on QF2-QF10 or QF10-QF2 , there should be no issue
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From link in QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

https://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf...hecked-baggage (this is un dated)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
I don't think you even need to link the bookings.

I had a revenue booking in QF economy class SYD-BNE and an economy award booking BNE-SIN-BKK on EK and 3K twice in the past 3 months and each time the luggage has been tagged through to BKK.

And the second time last month I was even able to short check the golf clubs SYD-BNE and then check them in to BKK from there.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnK
I don't think you even need to link the bookings.

I had a revenue booking in QF economy class SYD-BNE and an economy award booking BNE-SIN-BKK on EK and 3K twice in the past 3 months and each time the luggage has been tagged through to BKK.

And the second time last month I was even able to short check the golf clubs SYD-BNE and then check them in to BKK from there.
have done exactly this in USA a dozen or so times over the last few years. A Qantas USA domestic frequent flyer ticket to LAX & then connecting QF ticket back to Australia, most times they tagged the bags straight through, but had to go to QF check in at LAX to get new boarding passes. Once, they said they couldn't check bags thru & had a 2.5 hour connection, which meant it was going to be tight, if first flight was late or bag delivery was slow. I pushed the point (nicely) & eventually they said they would tag bags all the way. Once was on another QF ff ticket, on AA & connecting at LAX on an AA ticket LAX/FIJI & again they said they couldn't tag bags all the way, even though actual AA flight to codeshared AA flight(not AA metal).

What you have to remember, in the case of USA check in, is that check in agents probably have 99% of passengers they see flying domestically only & some don't know how to handle domestic to international.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

After calling Qantas on 3 separate occasions I was told they are not obligated to check a bag from QF to EK to the final destination but did all mention if they were part of One World it would be different.

When I pushed the three consultants that as per the Qantas website they will interline bags they all said 'not as per the information we have'.

I am a bit concerned because I bought a ticket with a TIGHT connection based on the website.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by 747-444
After calling Qantas on 3 separate occasions I was told they are not obligated to check a bag from QF to EK to the final destination but did all mention if they were part of One World it would be different.

When I pushed the three consultants that as per the Qantas website they will interline bags they all said 'not as per the information we have'.

I am a bit concerned because I bought a ticket with a TIGHT connection based on the website.
QF does not publish anything to general public ( that I am aware of ) that states that there is any entitlement to through checking on separate itineraries

Booking a tight connection is a big risk in its own right since there is no protection should the 1st flight be delayed and the onward flight missed

How long is the connection time?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:06 am

That's not quite right, Qantas will through-check baggage from a QF to EK flight, regardless if they're on the same or separate PNR: link

Assuming you booked the flights separately, the pertinent question is whether your connection time is legal. If not you won't be able to rely on the above policy.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by eminere
That's not quite right, Qantas will through-check baggage from a QF to EK flight, regardless if they're on the same or separate PNR: link

Assuming you booked the flights separately, the pertinent question is whether your connection time is legal. If not you won't be able to rely on the above policy.
I am afraid that you have a comprehension issue... The link that you included, clearly states (highlights are mine):
If travelling on a oneworld flight booked on separate tickets in separate bookings, the baggage will not be checked through and the customers’ will not receive the boarding pass for their onward flight.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Yes QF to EK not obligated (but they will probably do it). If they were part of One World, they definitely would not do it, if on separate bookings
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I am afraid that you have a comprehension issue... The link that you included, clearly states (highlights are mine):
Who has the comprehension issue? The OP is not talking about QF to oneworld, but QF/EK separate bookings. The pertinent part of the posted link for this discussion is the table, that suggests

Scenario: QF to/from EK
Separate PNR
Baggage = Yes
ozflygirl747 and eminere like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Both tickets were booked through QF.

The first flight is QF 1 and the second is QF 8404, operated by EK.
I am worried if they argue and don't check my bags through as the connection time is 85 minutes but I did call QF beforehand to check the connection time.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Charming. I suggest you re-read 747-444's post.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Who has the comprehension issue? The OP is not talking about QF to oneworld, but QF/EK separate bookings. The pertinent part of the posted link for this discussion is the table, that suggests

Separate PNR
Baggage = Yes
Thank you.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh

Separate PNR
Baggage = Yes
The posted link is not on a public page of the Qantas website and so not something that I would rely on being guaranteed to be able to rely on

I would expect the checking of baggage to occur , but if the agent says no, there is not a public statement that can be used to counter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.