Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Anyone been in 747 first class lately? VH-OEB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat

Was seeing if anyone had a review of this rare birds refreshed first class and or comments. It appears i am flying on it in december from syd to hnd and snagged the last seats available in "first".
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
See this article. Basically just a small change in the colour Pallete of the seat walls and coverings

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-refreshes-boeing-747-first-class
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by kar don
Was seeing if anyone had a review of this rare birds refreshed first class and or comments. It appears i am flying on it in december from syd to hnd and snagged the last seats available in "first".

As pointed out, only a change in colours, but you definitely want a seat in the F cabin. Biz class is angled beds.
kar don likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:09 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It's still a great product on the Queen of the Skies. Old school glamour.
kar don and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:21 pm

VH OEB.Finally retired today. Just landed in SFO on qf73. Theres no qf74 tonight. Instead she is off to the desert tomorrow. Was not the greatest flight as a 1.40 hour delay (had to wait for OEB to arrive from HNL as there was no other frame that could do the 73 today) then no IFE, not much power, ovens etc (but the engines did work...) Still. This was the F cabin that was state of the art for 15 years or so ... and heres the last picture of zone A just after arrival today..... empty and off to the scrap yard, but I bet more than a few of us got our first taste of F on an opup or, for the younger ones, a points upgrade (or great value redemption courtesy of FT or AFF) .. in these very seats. Here is is for the nostalgic, one last time....
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:18 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have so many memories in 1A. She will be missed.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kangaroo route
Still. This was the F cabin that was state of the art for 15 years or so ... and heres the last picture of zone A just after arrival today
It was not state of the art for 15 years. It was very good when it was first introduced, but was not that long before it was surpassed
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have so many memories in 1A. She will be missed.
1A was good for the forward view during take-off and landing, but row 1 was a fair bit shorter in length than other seats. Row 3 was better for sleeping (and often possbile to move if the cabin wasn't full).
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It was not state of the art for 15 years. It was very good when it was first introduced, but was not that long before it was surpassed
A little hyperbole is allowed when speaking of the dead
eminere likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
A little hyperbole is allowed when speaking of the dead
Factual accuracy is far better - it is an aeroplane , it was a machine and never alive

That seems to be the time that Qantas stopped trying to be a leader in airlines - once the others overtook it, Qantas never made an effort to leapfrog ahead
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Saw her flying overhead on approach to LAX yesterday evening and thought to myself: why is there a QF 747 coming to LAX? Now I see why.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
The aircraft has not retired from QF fleet. @dkc192 you saw its final flight as a QF plane. It left Australia last Sunday as QF73 and is not to return.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:41 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
The aircraft has not retired from QF fleet. @dkc192 you saw its final flight as a QF plane. It left Australia last Sunday as QF73 and is not to return.
It sure has left the QF fleet, sold to GE and ended up at Tupelo where no doubt her fate will be the same as the former VH-ANA, ie broken down.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by markis10

It sure has left the QF fleet, sold to GE and ended up at Tupelo where no doubt her fate will be the same as the former VH-ANA, ie broken down.
Wow. Looking at the pics of VH-ANA it reminds me of AN’s massive investment in the 2000 Olympics only for QF to skilfully “ambush” all the publicity and get the benefits without the investment.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
My first first class experience was in that cabin, when the 747 still flew SYD-MEL-SIN-LHR. Redeemed using QF points to fly SYD-MEL in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.