Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Skipping last leg of return = no show fee??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP

Hi all,

Been reading various threads on FT about this but still unsure when it comes to QF - fare rules quote $500 "no show fee", wanting to skip last leg of IAD-LAX-BNE-MEL as want to have a few days in Bris with family but have been quoted ~$700 to make the change to the last leg (sale fare).

Considering not checking in luggage (giving to travelling companion who has allowance) and not showing for BNE-MEL, and booking a cheap one-way with Tiger or Jetstar.

Is this advisable? Will it be a "no-show" if I show up to first two legs but not third? The only sensible (sort of) alternative I can think of is to immediately fly back to BNE from MEL with Tiger or Jetstar, and then fly back a few days later.

Would love any thoughts from anyone who's done anything similar!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:12 pm

A no-show fee isn't for not turning up. It's for not turning up and then changing the flight after that.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gilby08
A no-show fee isn't for not turning up. It's for not turning up and then changing the flight after that.
Thanks! Can't believe I didn't know that.....
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Should be no problem skipping the last segment

As for baggage - you will have to retrieve your checked baggage at BNE, to go through Customs
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Do you have a return trip planned?
If so, I wonder if it might be an idea to contact QF after you've "missed" the final flight to say you felt unwell or something, just so they aren't led to cancel a return ticket....
If you're not returning to IAD on a QF booking, it mightn't matter so much.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:23 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by gilby08
That is not correct, at least for some fares -- and yes, it happened to me. That "no show fee" was for checking in (using online checkin 24 hours before) and then not making the flight and refunding the ticket (which had no cancellation penalty otherwise, btw). Was told if not checked in then no fee Now missing a connecting flight would be considered checked in at the origination, I think -- but who knows ... certainly not QF staff, only the computer knows for sure when it calculates the charges. In any case doubt QF would try to do an additional collection, just no refund due on what is already non-refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.