FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   SYD QF F Lounge - losing its gloss (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1869944-syd-qf-f-lounge-losing-its-gloss.html)

og Oct 2, 2017 12:52 pm

SYD QF F Lounge - losing its gloss

I’ve been an occasional visitor to the QF SYD T1 F lounge since it opened. Years ago the “wow factor” was 10 out of 10. Brilliant food, attentive and spirited service, a sparkling environment and the creation of an altruistic feeling towards QF. In recent years I’ve noticed a subtle but noticeable degradation to the above “wow factors” - haven’t really been able to put the finger on just what has changed, but it’s changed - downhill. The clincher was yesterday. Long delay before we could be seated for food. Long delay before first drinks (coffee) arrived - about 15 minutes. Exceptionally long delay before food arrived - about another 30 minutes. No checking if we needed any more drinks (of any sort). No apparant monitoring by the server. No acknowledgement that we were stressed about the time delay or that other diners on either side of us had arrived after us, eaten their food and gone while we were still waiting (and yes, we asked any staff nearby when food would be delivered).

The tables used to be set perfectly. Now they look like things have been thrown at them from a distance. The table mats are dirty. There are scuff marks on the funishings. Its just like .. an ordinary restaurant.

Wait staff still wear the Sofitel badge with their name tags, so I suppose it is Sofitel’s problem, but its still the QF lounge and they are ultimately in charge. Perhaps they don’t care except to try to reduce costs.

Yes, the lounge was busy, but that’s no excuse for sloppy service. It’s more than that. QF have let this lounge run downhill from its former glory. Yet another reason to question why one should have an altruistic feeling towards QF.

Platy Oct 2, 2017 4:16 pm

Because of repeated experiences of non service (elements of orders never arriving, etc), I always try to:

1. Sit at the "bar" seats facing the open the kitchen
2. Engage the supervisor in polite conversation and put my orders through that person

These days I'm more content in the far more exclusive SQ first lounge when going through SYD!

Blackcloud Oct 2, 2017 4:42 pm

To be fair, although I was not a WP the year it opened, it did encourage me to attain WP and while I had it I very much enjoyed the First Lounge.
However I remember the first couple of years I used it, service seemed very slow, only received a Spa treatment once as it was always booked out....granted this was during the LHR rush hours....and the food was not exceptional fine dining (did they ever advertise it as such). Since losing WP a couple of years ago my occasional visits to CofS or guesting I have not noticed the service to be that bad, granted they have been after QF1 departs. I do say though the First Lounge is comfortable, the food remains nice to good, but it is not enough for me to want to spend the extra money nor time away from the family to regain WP....as long as I have access to the EK lounge as the International Business Lounge is just not worth a visit....unless things have drastically improved over the last 12 months.

Himeno Oct 2, 2017 6:08 pm

I've never had an issue at any of the QF F lounges (MEL, SYD, LAX). Was last in the MEL F lounge 2 weeks ago, was at LAX in July. Will be in SYD next week.

You don't have to sit in the "restaurant" area to get food. They'll bring meals/drinks anywhere in the lounge. You just have to get the attention of a staff member. Usually that just means going up to one of the "cashier" points (where they enter the orders), asking for a menu and telling them where you're sitting.

serfty Oct 3, 2017 3:23 pm

I believe the SYD F Lounge has a limited (all day dining?) menu currently do to renovations or something.

sxc Oct 3, 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 28890202)
I believe the SYD F Lounge has a limited (all day dining?) menu currently do to renovations or something.

There is a limited menu, but I think it does change from Breakfast to Lunch at a certain time.

There is a note on the menu stating there are kitchen renovations underway.

HB7 Oct 4, 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 28885180)
I’ve been an occasional visitor to the QF SYD T1 F lounge since it opened. Years ago the “wow factor” was 10 out of 10. Brilliant food, attentive and spirited service, a sparkling environment and the creation of an altruistic feeling towards QF. In recent years I’ve noticed a subtle but noticeable degradation to the above “wow factors” - haven’t really been able to put the finger on just what has changed, but it’s changed - downhill. The clincher was yesterday. Long delay before we could be seated for food. Long delay before first drinks (coffee) arrived - about 15 minutes. Exceptionally long delay before food arrived - about another 30 minutes. No checking if we needed any more drinks (of any sort). No apparant monitoring by the server. No acknowledgement that we were stressed about the time delay or that other diners on either side of us had arrived after us, eaten their food and gone while we were still waiting (and yes, we asked any staff nearby when food would be delivered).

The tables used to be set perfectly. Now they look like things have been thrown at them from a distance. The table mats are dirty. There are scuff marks on the funishings. Its just like .. an ordinary restaurant.

Wait staff still wear the Sofitel badge with their name tags, so I suppose it is Sofitel’s problem, but its still the QF lounge and they are ultimately in charge. Perhaps they don’t care except to try to reduce costs.

Yes, the lounge was busy, but that’s no excuse for sloppy service. It’s more than that. QF have let this lounge run downhill from its former glory. Yet another reason to question why one should have an altruistic feeling towards QF.

I largely agree with these sentiments. My last visit there was in February and I experienced all these things. I personally found the QF F Lounge in MEL to be a much nicer lounge to visit. It is smaller, but the service is usually brilliant and the place still appears to be pristine.

cbourl Oct 4, 2017 3:22 am

Ive visitited once last year - pretty ordinary broken aircon so sweating in the lounge - average average average - it suits the Qantas product well
I agree Sq F lounge at SYD is WAY better than QF F lounge at SYD albeit small I like CX F lounges at HKG LH First Terminal at FRA F Lounges at FRA,MUC and the EXOTERIC Swiss First Lounge at E Gates Qantas just doesn't meet the standards of any of these First Lounges, but then who would fly QF First? when I used it I was flying BA F out of SYD, which is pretty substandard

libertyuk Oct 4, 2017 9:19 am

I agree also. I first used the QF F SYD lounge 3 years ago and found it to be excellent, including the food and the quality of beverages (better quality champagne and a larger food selection). I have gone through the lounge 3x in 2 months and have been underwhelmed by the menu, it seems to be significantly smaller (and yes it was noted the kitchen was under refurbishment) and the overall atmosphere seemed a little tired. I used to make a point of choosing a OneWorld carrier out of SYD to use the lounge, but it really doesn't deserve that sort of premium anymore. MEL is definitely superior (but the other lounges at MEL are nothing special).

m0hamed Oct 4, 2017 1:04 pm

I also agree.

But if you fly F you can request the host and reserve a table. Despite this, we had a waiter who was rude, aggressive when we wanted slight changes to items and then argued with us when he brought the wrong drinks. It was a pretty low start to the trip but we don't allow things like this to affect our travels so brushed it off.

The last few times the lounge has been packed and it doesn't feel the same.

I'm at a point in my life now where a lounge is a lounge is a lounge and don't arrive earlier than two hours regardless of the port.

bensyd Oct 4, 2017 7:18 pm

The food is still great I think, but the lounge overall feels a bit tired, and it's too open planned for mine. It's always lacked intimacy, but I think that was done on purpose. The LAX F lounge has the same issue, I find the OW J lounge at LAX feels less cavernous, even when it's not crowded.

IMOA Oct 4, 2017 7:59 pm

It certainly does seem more packed these days and I would agree that the service isn't what it used to be but all you need to do is travel through LHR every now and then and go to the Terminal 5 F lounge. Helps keep things in perspective.

SNA_Flyer Oct 4, 2017 10:48 pm

Was through both SYD and MEL in September. I kind of feel the same way about SYD now, maybe just because it was more crowded than I have ever seen it. MEL was great, calm, good service.

GB58 Oct 5, 2017 8:40 pm

New here so Hello all.

I have visited the SYD first lounge a few times over the years. I too think that it has slipped (only slightly). I think it has plenty to do with inconsistencies from Sofitel and QF management not acting properly and timely in response to that.

Example is I had a pretty ordinary experience (multiple grievances) during my last stay at BNE Sofitel. And that is something that is quite rare. But it has left question marks with me regarding a business that I thought was impeccable.

Kiwi Flyer Oct 6, 2017 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 28886367)
I've never had an issue at any of the QF F lounges (MEL, SYD, LAX). Was last in the MEL F lounge 2 weeks ago, was at LAX in July. Will be in SYD next week.

You don't have to sit in the "restaurant" area to get food. They'll bring meals/drinks anywhere in the lounge. You just have to get the attention of a staff member. Usually that just means going up to one of the "cashier" points (where they enter the orders), asking for a menu and telling them where you're sitting.

That's what I do in busy times.

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 28890202)

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 28890902)
There is a limited menu, but I think it does change from Breakfast to Lunch at a certain time.

There is a note on the menu stating there are kitchen renovations underway.

Yes menu changes sometime between 11am and midday, and currently has slightly less items than normal.

My impression is staff numbers were not increased in proportion to increased numbers of lounge users over the years, and this is why nowadays you need to grab their attention whereas in the early years the staff were wonderfully proactive.