Access to Qantas Domestic Lounges

Old Sep 27, 17, 5:31 pm
Fid
Original Poster

Question Access to Qantas Domestic Lounges

Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance on this topic but I had a quick question regarding the Qantas Domestic Lounges and access. I've checked the Qantas website and done a bit of research but I'm still not too clear in this scenario.

I'm BA EC Silver / OneWorld Sapphire however I have booked my domestic flight not attaching my BA EC details but my new Qantas FF details (we've moved to Australia so probably won't be able to book as many BA flights to realistically keep the EC Silver for more than a year or two), can I get access to the lounge by showing my BA EC card? Or is it no good because I booked with my Qantas FF details which don't have any status at the moment.

I'm guessing the answer is no you can't and that I should have added my BA EC Silver number to the booking instead, but worth an ask!

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 17, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can access based on holding the BA Card

I would look very carefully into the earn and redemption rates to see whether it is actually a good idea to start crediting to QF

QF has pretty lousy rates and you may well be better to credit to another scheme
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:06 pm
Fid
Original Poster

Oh, interesting! That sounds great then if all I need to do is show my BA card (the "card" on the app should be OK right, I think I have lost the actual physical card?).

I shall look into which scheme is the best to use, I think we just picked QF FF because of One World and we're likely to use OW carriers to get to the US or back to the UK and the majority of my flying for work is most likely QF.

That said, for BA EC silver which expires next year, I already have the tier points to keep Silver I just need 2 BA flights so think the next time I book domestic potentially book a flight with BA code so at least I can keep the silver until 2019.
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Fid View Post
That said, for BA EC silver which expires next year, I already have the tier points to keep Silver I just need 2 BA flights so think the next time I book domestic potentially book a flight with BA code so at least I can keep the silver until 2019.
The only way to book the BA code on QF operated domestic flights is with a BA coded international flight. You cannot book the BA coded QF domestic flight alone.
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:55 pm
Fid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
The only way to book the BA code on QF operated domestic flights is with a BA coded international flight. You cannot book the BA coded QF domestic flight alone.
Oh, ok, then nevermind, good to know! Guess I'll just need to build up something from scratch again but still, at least another year of Silver so can't complain too much.

Need to do my research on all of this!
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:03 pm
Fid
Original Poster

Hmmmm, so speaking to Qantas they said no I won't be able to access just displaying my BA card as it is not on the booking so won't be on the boarding pass and therefore I won't have any access to the lounges.

Are they correct or just not totally familiar with the rules?
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
They are incorrect in that you have lounge access based on your BAEC status, note that is not to the J lounge which requires BA Gold, but only Qantas Club for BA Silver. They may have thought you were asking for J lounge access (which you have for the QF international lounges but not for domestic). As for how to prove your BA status, it may well be that the phone app is too easy to forge and thus is not accepted for lounge entry, requiring either the physical card or your status on a BP (as they suggested). That has happened to me at other airlines several times now and QF might be enforcing that policy on lounge entry. Your easiest solution is to add BAEC number to the booking, as QF supports having a 2nd FF plan (but an agent has to do this), or easier may be to change BA only to QF in the lounge prior to boarding.
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:49 pm
Fid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
They are incorrect in that you have lounge access based on your BAEC status, note that is not to the J lounge which requires BA Gold, but only Qantas Club for BA Silver. They may have thought you were asking for J lounge access (which you have for the QF international lounges but not for domestic). As for how to prove your BA status, it may well be that the phone app is too easy to forge and thus is not accepted for lounge entry, requiring either the physical card or your status on a BP (as they suggested). That has happened to me at other airlines several times now and QF might be enforcing that policy on lounge entry. Your easiest solution is to add BAEC number to the booking, as QF supports having a 2nd FF plan (but an agent has to do this), or easier may be to change BA only to QF in the lounge prior to boarding.
Yeah, I don't think he understood me too well and he took a long time finding the answer.

So I can give them a call and get them to additionally add my BAEC number to the booking? (Out of curiosity, how would it know which one to credit the miles to?)
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm, so speaking to Qantas they said no I won't be able to access just displaying my BA card as it is not on the booking so won't be on the boarding pass and therefore I won't have any access to the lounges.

The agent is incorrect
Old Sep 28, 17, 5:25 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Just rock up and flash the card.
If you want to, when checking in, ask the agent to add your FF details, and they can print a boarding pass showing your status.
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
My partner has once been denied access using BA Gold card with only his QF Silver number on the boarding pass. A real lounge dragon in this instance.

So he changed it to his BA number and then changed it back before the flight boarded. Crazy.

This was a couple of years ago now.
Old Sep 29, 17, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
My partner has once been denied access using BA Gold card with only his QF Silver number on the boarding pass. A real lounge dragon in this instance.

So he changed it to his BA number and then changed it back before the flight boarded. Crazy.
Now that I think about it, I think that this happened to me once too - at AKL, I think.

For me, the final outcome wasn't crazy. I though of it as a little compensation for the hassle of having to go through a few steps that strictly speaking shouldn't have needed to be gone through.
Old Sep 29, 17, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Difference between reservations (little or no idea about airport operations) and staff at the airport who deal with this everyday.
Old Sep 30, 17, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
The only published caveats in relation to Qantas lounge access being dependent on having the frequent flyer program providing status based lounge access entered into the booking relates to EK elites .

e.g. Qantas First lounge - Melbourne

Emirates Platinum Skyward Members

Next onward flight must be operated by Qantas^ or Emirates^ with a QF or EK flight number.++ ...

^ Lounge access eligibility is based on ... the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.
++ Flights to Americas and South Africa are not included.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 2, 17 at 3:51 am
Old Oct 1, 17, 11:16 pm
Fid
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oh_lol View Post
Just rock up and flash the card.
If you want to, when checking in, ask the agent to add your FF details, and they can print a boarding pass showing your status.
So, technically I already have my QF FF details added... someone did mention I could have both but when I called they said I couldn't. Is it possible I just go to a desk (as I've checked in now) or bag drop and ask them to just change my FF details to my BA FF details and get them to print me a new boarding pass? Or now they've been added there's no changes?

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post

This was a couple of years ago now.
Hah, interesting. Not sure how I can change my FF details, assume I would need to ask at the airport.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Difference between reservations (little or no idea about airport operations) and staff at the airport who deal with this everyday.
That's very true... I think either way a quick chat at the airport in the morning is worth it with someone who hopefully should know.

It's silly really I can live without lounge access, just a little nervous flying and for some reason the idea I can just go chill some where a little quieter via lounge access makes me feel a little better... first world problems for sure!!

Thank you all for your advice, I shall give this a go tomorrow!!