FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   747 j 1a/1k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1867450-747-j-1a-1k.html)

IAD_flyer Sep 17, 2017 9:42 pm

747 j 1a/1k

1 Attachment(s)
I am thinking of booking QF74 (SFO-SYD) in J on the 744 without F. It has always been a goal of mine to seat in 1A/1K on a 747 to get an almost forward view of the takeoff and landing. However, when I look at the seat map for any date I see 1A/1K blocked off. I am sure I can request it at check-in time if available and not needed for its intended use, but I was hoping secure it in advance. I had a few questions:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Note the "Xs" in the screenshot are blocked seats, not occupied seats.

eminere Sep 17, 2017 11:09 pm

It shows as blocked off to you because you likely do not have the sufficient status to select seats in those rows. Row 1 is generally reserved for CL and P1 members. Try checking the seat map again at T-80 and then at T-24 when online check-in opens. Prior to that you won't be able to call up and have an agent assign you a blocked seat if you're not eligible to it.

fakecd Sep 18, 2017 7:38 am

5 Attachment(s)
I was on Seat 1A on my recent flight. I too, was in belief that there is a "forward" looking view. I think this 1A thingy is over-hyped, once I've done it I realized it wasn't really true!

I attached few photos for your reference. But I would not choose 1A next time... few reasons... the bassiet seat (so you could have bassinet used), and more importantly the legrom / pitch is pretty poor.... 1A has 2 windows, whereas I think 2A behind me at 3 windows... yes it's nice to have experienced it but I would think 2A offers better privacy and also the seat-back monitor can be used throughout takeoff/landing on 2A whereas 1A is a seat-mounted TV

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 28827792)
Will this seat give you the "classic" 1A view where you can see forward?

No - the seat is not a classic 'forward view' seat. This is because the closet/storage area occupies the fist few windows of the cabin and they are the ones which really allow that forward view.

Qantas offers the forward view only on their remaining two 747s with an F cabin (which is now sold only as J, and is only available on select routes). The F cabin arrangement has no forward storage closet that takes blocks windows.

Other airlines such as UA also offer the forward view.

The true 'view forward' is a unique experience and well worth it if you can find a plane that still accommodates it.

serfty Sep 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Yes, forget 1A/1K.

The available seats I'd go for are (assuming solo) 5J, 5B, 3E, 3F.

14A/14K I'd take over those if available. Have you tried seat selection using www.qantas.com/yourbooking ?

og Sep 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 28829263)
Other airlines such as UA also offer the forward view.

The true 'view forward' is a unique experience and well worth it if you can find a plane that still accommodates it.

You won't see the UA 744s on the Oz run any more (or anywhere for that matter soon).

TG currently fly their 744s BKK-SYD-BKK twice daily and their F cabin is in Zone 1. Award seats are sometimes available. 1A and 1K have the (almost) forward view, but I prefer the space in their Row 2.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 28831297)
You won't see the UA 744s on the Oz run any more (or anywhere for that matter soon).

TG currently fly their 744s BKK-SYD-BKK twice daily and their F cabin is in Zone 1. Award seats are sometimes available. 1A and 1K have the (almost) forward view, but I prefer the space in their Row 2.

Yes. Aware UA doesn't fly 747s to Oz, but was just giving that as an option for the OP if they get the chance on their travels :)

I remembered TG a while later, but only really applicable on their old 10 F variant? I'm lucky enough to have scored an old one for my upcoming trip.

LH's F cabin on the 748 didn't offer a forward view worth writing home about. Not sure if there are any other airlines left?

IAD_flyer Sep 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks, all for your input. Looks like 1A is not that great on the no F 744, guess I will try this on another airline.

Kiwi Flyer Sep 19, 2017 1:41 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 28831778)
LH's F cabin on the 748 didn't offer a forward view worth writing home about. Not sure if there are any other airlines left?

KE 748 F

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Sep 19, 2017 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 28832743)
KE 748 F

With a forward view? it looks from pictures they have also blocked off the first window?

og Sep 19, 2017 7:13 am

Its not surprising that the storage cupboard infront of row 1 is being enlarged (with loss of the front wondow(s)). There has always been a shortage of overhead locker space in the very front and with crew stuffing their gear in the existing small cupboard, as well as coats, matresses and other junk, there's no room for pax carry on baggage.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Sep 20, 2017 1:08 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 28833498)
Its not surprising that the storage cupboard infront of row 1 is being enlarged (with loss of the front wondow(s)). There has always been a shortage of overhead locker space in the very front and with crew stuffing their gear in the existing small cupboard, as well as coats, matresses and other junk, there's no room for pax carry on baggage.

Deign by someone who doesn't understand the aircraft or passenger experience. They could have moved the rows forward and had a closet at the rear of the cabin.

Out of all the designs for the front bulkhead of a 747, the QF one must be near the worst. Visually unappealing.