Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Classic Upgrade from Economy to Business

Old Sep 11, 17, 2:49 am
Original Poster

I thought this would be a often asked question, but looking back on the forum for the last 3 months I haven't found it. Anyway, is it possible to book a Economy flight (in my case SYD-HKG-SYD) knowing that it will be definitely able to upgrade using points to Business? In short, I am happy to go to Hong Kong, but not if I can't use points to upgrade.

I suppose I'm asking is pre confirmation of an upgrade being available possible when the Economy seat is booked?
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only by booking a business award ticket

For any upgrade request internationally, it will go on a waitlist and may or may not clear before departure

Sounds like you can save the cost of a SYD-HKG rt ticket
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
I suppose I'm asking is pre confirmation of an upgrade being available possible when the Economy seat is booked?
No. As above, with QF this does happen. On this forum QF upgrades are often refereed to as the upgrade lottery.

Also not all economy fares are able to be upgraded with QF points. Lower priced fare booking class are not upgradeable
Old Sep 11, 17, 4:47 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Thekman View Post
I thought this would be a often asked question, but looking back on the forum for the last 3 months I haven't found it. Anyway, is it possible to book a Economy flight (in my case SYD-HKG-SYD) knowing that it will be definitely able to upgrade using points to Business? In short, I am happy to go to Hong Kong, but not if I can't use points to upgrade.

QF points upgrade does not clear prior to departure - it won't clear into business classic reward inventory in advance like many other airlines do.

QF is struggling a little bit on HKG as of late. Load isn't very good. What dates are you looking at? In general you have a pretty good chance nowadays.
Old Sep 24, 17, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb View Post
QF points upgrade does not clear prior to departure - it won't clear into business classic reward inventory in advance like many other airlines do.

QF is struggling a little bit on HKG as of late. Load isn't very good. What dates are you looking at? In general you have a pretty good chance nowadays.
Sorry for the delayed response, I lost track of my post.
As requested, I will hopefully be travelling to HKG over xmas and New Year.
Old Sep 25, 17, 1:52 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Thanks! I had pretty much exactly the same question - and also same route (except I am going HK-SYD-HK).

Is it any easier to go Premium Economy - Business rather than Economy? I am Qantas lifetime Gold. (But actually would prefer to put my Cathay number in the booking, being Diamond, I guess I cannot do that eh?
Old Sep 25, 17, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fairhsa View Post
Thanks! I had pretty much exactly the same question - and also same route (except I am going HK-SYD-HK).

Is it any easier to go Premium Economy - Business rather than Economy? I am Qantas lifetime Gold. (But actually would prefer to put my Cathay number in the booking, being Diamond, I guess I cannot do that eh?
You can put the CX number in; just do the upgrade by doing it from the Qantas account for another person

I suspect that the odds will be reduced since the QF status of the booking will be zero
fairhsa likes this.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:53 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
You can put the CX number in; just do the upgrade by doing it from the Qantas account for another person

I suspect that the odds will be reduced since the QF status of the booking will be zero
Thanks. I could have done that (hubby has plenty of QF points) but in the end decided I was not keen on a lottery and booked Cathay.
Old Sep 28, 17, 12:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by fairhsa View Post
Thanks. I could have done that (hubby has plenty of QF points) but in the end decided I was not keen on a lottery and booked Cathay.
Wise decision. On HKG-SYD and overnight, then it seems CX starts the breakfast service later than QF (by half an hour or so). So if in Business then that means a bit more sleep.
Old Nov 1, 17, 7:53 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
bringing this thread back to life.

what benefit do i have in booking a fully flex econ ticket with hopes of upgrade using qff points? i am not too keen to pay double for fully flex econ, with hopes to use pointe for upgrsde... but if it doesnt clear i am on loosing end massively

i know upgrade processig are based on status and as WP i stand ok chance. but if 2 WP fighing for last J seat is it CIX score that.matters? or is it class of economy that trumps? (i.e. my fully flex eco. beats another.WP econ saver?)
Old Nov 1, 17, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
What benefit do I have in booking a fully flex econ ticket with hopes of upgrade using qff points? I am not too keen to pay double for fully flex econ, with hopes to use points for upgrade... but if it doesn't clear I am on loosing end massively.

i know upgrade processing are based on status and as WP I stand OK chance. but if 2 WP fighting for last J seat is it CIX score that.matters? or is it class of economy that trumps? (i.e. my fully flex eco. beats another.WP econ saver?)
The chances of winning the QF upgrade lottery are always low. Status will help.
Use you money to buy a better seat on another airline.
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:27 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
The chances of winning the QF upgrade lottery are always low. Status will help.
Use you money to buy a better seat on another airline.
thx

i decided i pay 30% premium for economy saver (extra 80 aud) so damage isnt as bad if it doesnt come thru... loading show I7D9J9 for flight week out i guess it will be.ok
serfty likes this.