Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 1/2 to be rerouted via SIN by March 25, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 1/2 to be rerouted via SIN by March 25, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
My reading? QF sales have suffered via DXB with terrible reliability (frequent delays) and not necessarily a popular choice (SIN was always popular).

And EK wants pax on their own A380s, not cannibalised by QF offering the same plane on the same route.

So a win for QF (reintroducing a product that people actually want), a win for EK (no more competition from QF, and they still fill their planes with codeshares generated by one-stop connections to Europe)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think QF is also going to use Jetstar Asia flights to feed the SIN flights as well. There was no feeder traffic in DXB.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
There was no feeder traffic in DXB.
Except for all the EK feed....
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: Free agent
If doing the whole Kangaroo Route, I can't think of any good reason to transit in DXB over SIN (except EK connections to the continent). I haven't touched QF1/2 since their poorly-thought out (but probably EK-driven) switch to DXB in early 2013.

DXB is a mess - overcrowded, buses, crazy timings. SIN is efficient, relaxing, etc etc.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Thank you QANTAS.... excellent news indeed!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Except for all the EK feed....
Qantas said that anyone travelling from/to an EK destination tended to stay on EK metal and they were only carrying passengers heading to LHR on QF metal.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by klymen
If doing the whole Kangaroo Route, I can't think of any good reason to transit in DXB over SIN (except EK connections to the continent). I haven't touched QF1/2 since their poorly-thought out (but probably EK-driven) switch to DXB in early 2013.

DXB is a mess - overcrowded, buses, crazy timings. SIN is efficient, relaxing, etc etc.
Flying QF via DXB I've never had a bus gate, and transfer security right opposite the arrival & departure gate. The DXB F lounge is also better than SIN J lounge.

Anyway, will see what the schedules are before passing judgment. The MEL-PER-LHR flight no longer connects for me (in either direction) so hopefully SYD-SIN-LHR is better timed.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by sxc
Qantas said that anyone travelling from/to an EK destination tended to stay on EK metal and they were only carrying passengers heading to LHR on QF metal.
While it is probably the case that half or more QF pax were flying all the way between SYD/MEL and LHR, there were still plenty of passengers connecting to/from EK flights. This was seen on the times that QF flight was hours late and the hordes of passengers needing rebooking on arrival at DXB.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Flying QF via DXB I've never had a bus gate, and transfer security right opposite the arrival & departure gate. The DXB F lounge is also better than SIN J lounge.
Fair point - you'd know better than me. As I said I switched airlines and kept going via Asia (SIN mainly, but also HKG). My friends continue to complain about DXB, so I assumed nothing had changed since last time I was there.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by klymen
Fair point - you'd know better than me. As I said I switched airlines and kept going via Asia (SIN mainly, but also HKG). My friends continue to complain about DXB, so I assumed nothing had changed since last time I was there.
It isn't unusual to get a bus gate at DXB when flying EK.
klymen likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Exactly.

Australia/UK tend to produce enough feed for QF's two daily LHR flights! The flight was never really about dropping people off and picking people up at DXB, nor previously was this really the case in SIN, either.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Extra OW capacity between LHR and SIN is a good thing in my eyes, as long as BA don't downgrade the A380 11/12 rotation, and likewise, QF don't drop existing MEL/SYD-SIN flights.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Finally QF has got some F service to Asia.
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
12 A380s in the fleet.
2 used for each of QF11/12 (SYD-LAX), QF93/94 (MEL-LAX) and QF7/8 (SYD-DFW). 3 used for QF1/2 (SYD-LHR). That's 9.
Today's announced MEL-SIN uses 1.
1 is in MNL for heavy maintenance during off peak times. Leaving 1 available.
Sorry, but aircraft utilization is not calculated that way.
Usually, the planes rotate between different routes. Hence, to calculate the utilization, you need to calculate how many planes it takes to rotate them through all the routes mentioned above. It'll be way less than 9.
Example: just because a rotation 50 hours (2 hours above 48 hours), doesn't mean the route needs 3 planes.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:30 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Good to have a QF F option to Asia.

The QF SIN Lounge, however, won't cut it for F pax, even if they reserve tables like they do for WP and P1. Not that the BA windowless CCB is better with its satay sticks...

Curiously, despite flying to CAI often we have never flown QF or EK since the partnership, rather we fly EY. The layover for an EK flight with F to CAI is far too long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.