Search

Best way to use points NRT/JFK trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Lightbulb Best way to use points NRT/JFK trip

Hey All,

Im trying to figure out the best way to go using points flying from Perth.

Would prefer to go around Jan/Feb for the snow season then fly to the States for an extended holiday.

Ive got around QF 600000 points and would prefer to fly premium or higher.
ill be flying with my partner so its more like 300000 each then.

Best way to use points NRT/JFK trip.

Would love to hear some ideas that other people have done.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tpage
I'm trying to figure out the best way to go using points flying from Perth.

Would prefer to go around Jan/Feb for the snow season then fly to the States for an extended holiday.

I've got around QF 600000 points and would prefer to fly premium or higher.
I'll be flying with my partner so its more like 300000 each then.
So 2 of you want to fly PER-NRT (or another Japanese airport) and then NRT-JFK (or another NY airport)
Premium cabin awards are hard to get. Will take some effort to find availability.
Have you looked the QF web site?
You need to identify transit airports and then point to point multi sector search
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/do/dyn...PointsRedeemed

The first may have to be PER-HKG-NGA or similar.
Sample
Trips: Points Zone (Miles) Class Reward
Cathay Pacific Perth - Hong Kong (stop) 65000 5 (3748) Business Partner
Cathay Pacific Hong Kong - Nagoya (stop) 38000 3 (1652) Business Partner
Total points 103,000

Rough guide
http://www.awardace.com/redemptions/...p_type=one_way
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Finding 2 premium seats on the same flights in Jan/Feb is going to be tricky. You're going to have to be flexible on dates, connections, stopovers and airlines.

If you have some time and flexibility - don't discount the possibility of using some cheap paid tickets for part of your journey. For example you may be able to find cheap (paid) fares on say PER-SYD/MEL/BNE/CNS/SIN/KUL and then reward seats from there.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably start my search by looking for premium seats Japan-USA for more or less the dates I wanted and then once I had found something I liked, look to work something up for Perth-Japan (maybe using some paid seats) to get me to Japan for about my desired length of stay in Japan.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: QFF
From PER to get to JP on oneworld, you'll have to go via HKG (CX), KUL (MH) or SIN (QF/JL), or head to the east coast and QF (SYD, BNE, MEL), JL (SYD) or JQ (OOL, CNS).

It might be hard getting award flights for TYO-JFK. There are only 2 oneworld flights on that route. JL with 1 each from HND and NRT. You'll likely have to look at other US ports (from memory, AA/JL fly from Japan to ORD, BOS, JFK, DFW, LAX, HNL, SAN and SFO).
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
JL will also fly MEL-NRT commencing in September so that could be another choice. Try Awardnexus (or JL) for award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.