Qantas and BA (Avios)

Old Jul 5, 17, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold
Qantas and BA (Avios)

Hello, first time poster after lurking for a bit.

I live in England. I've been a long time British Airways customer with BA Executive Club (BAEC)

I've accept a job within my company to move to Sydney. They are flying me out for the month of August to get to know the office before my full visa comes for me to move there. I hope to move properly at the end of October.

My flight in August is a return in Business on a Qantas flight, but it is operated by Emirates. What is my best bet to utilize these points? I've read I can use my BAEC for points and tier. Do I just give my BAEC number when I check in?

Or is it worth setting up a Qantas account? Get the points on that? Then I can use them to fly around Australia when I live there?

Any help greatly appreciated. It looks like I might use this forum a lot more in the coming months!
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would not be crediting to Qantas versus just credit to existing account. You can redeem for domestic flights from that

If you have no status, you might like to consider crediting to AA and taking the Platinum challenge. This would get you Platinum status ( valid for rest of 2017 and all of 2018) just from the LHR-SYD journey and points which will be more valuable with no surcharges to pay on redemptions ( other than for BA redemptions )
Old Jul 5, 17, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richplatt View Post
...I live in England. I've been a long time British Airways customer with BA Executive Club (BAEC)

I've accept a job within my company to move to Sydney. They are flying me out for the month of August to get to know the office before my full visa comes for me to move there. I hope to move properly at the end of October.

My flight in August is a return in Business on a Qantas flight, but it is operated by Emirates. What is my best bet to utilize these points? I've read I can use my BAEC for points and tier. Do I just give my BAEC number when I check in?
How long will you be living in Sydney?
The Qantas frequent flyer program is not good.
In the "manage my booking" on the QF web site you will be able to add your BAEC number (or any other)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-emirates.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ec-points.html
Old Jul 5, 17, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I would not be crediting to Qantas versus just credit to existing account. You can redeem for domestic flights from that

If you have no status, you might like to consider crediting to AA and taking the Platinum challenge. This would get you Platinum status ( valid for rest of 2017 and all of 2018) just from the LHR-SYD journey and points which will be more valuable with no surcharges to pay on redemptions ( other than for BA redemptions )
I have status tier on BAEC. I've just checked and the Quantas (Emirates) flight should easily put me in to Bronze which would be great. I think this is pretty similar to the AA level. Thanks for the info!

Redeeming from my BA account for internal Qantas flights when I live there should be similar to BA for flights in Europe correct?
Old Jul 5, 17, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
How long will you be living in Sydney?
The Qantas frequent flyer program is not good.
In the "manage my booking" on the QF web site you will be able to add your BAEC number (or any other)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-emirates.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ec-points.html
The expectation from the company is two years in Sydney. But I can stay up to 4 before I would have to start a process for a longer visa. I intend to come back to the UK at some point.

Should I create a Qantas account? I would like to use the app for boarding etc (it looks similar to the BAEC one). Would this automatically give me a Qantas FF membership number that goes against my flight?
Old Jul 5, 17, 11:38 pm

I have status tier on BAEC. I've just checked and the Quantas (Emirates) flight should easily put me in to Bronze which would be great. I think this is pretty similar to the AA level. Thanks for the info!
No it isn't. AA Platinum is the equivalent of BA Silver ( OW Sapphire ) and provides benefits such as lounge access , additional baggage allowance and complimentary seat assignment at time of booking on airlines such as BA and AA
Old Jul 6, 17, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
No it isn't. AA Platinum is the equivalent of BA Silver ( OW Sapphire ) and provides benefits such as lounge access , additional baggage allowance and complimentary seat assignment at time of booking on airlines such as BA and AA
Would I get AA Platinum though?

London (LHR) to Sydney (SYD) on Qantas Airways Ltd
Cabin - Business
Purchased fares booked in: I

AAdvantage:
Base miles - 100%
Cabin Bonus - 25%
EQMs per mile flown - 1.5
EQD per mile flown - 25%

If total estimated miles is 20,000 (10,000 each way).
EQM - 1.5 x 20,000 is only 30,000. 50,000 required for AA Platinum.
EQD - 0.25 x 20000 is only 5000. So roughly $5000. $6000 required for AA Platinum.

OR

However with BAEC
BAEC Calculator (With Quantas selected)
26466 Avios
480 BA Tier

Or should I consider Qantas?
37,200 Points
540 Tier Points

Last edited by richplatt; Jul 6, 17 at 7:22 am Reason: Added Qantas
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:45 am

Programs: QANTAS FREQUENT FLYER, VIRGIN VELOCITY
You should set up a qantas account just for your domestic spending anyway.
Old Jul 6, 17, 11:20 am

Would I get AA Platinum though?
If you undertake the platinum challenge, then yes

Requirements of challenge is 12,500 EQMs within 3 months

10,574 mi
EQMs in I class = 15,861 - Platinum status achieved
Redemption miles earned
outbound : 10,574 plus 2644 class of service bonus
inbound : 10,574 plus 2644 class of service bonus plus 6345 platinum bonus

Total miles earned 32,781
a business class award LHR-SYD using AA miles is 87,500 plus approx 213 taxes

so will earn 37.5% of a one way award - and of course will have Platinum Status

Compare with 26466 BAEC Avios
125000 or 150000 miles needed for 1 way business award
plus 232.00 carrier surcharge plus approx 213 taxes

so will earn approx 21% of an off peak award or 18% of a peak award

Compare with 37200 Qantas ( note there is no 'u' in qantas )
192000 miles needed for 1 way business award
plus 359.00 carrier surcharge plus approx 213 taxes

so will earn approx 19.4% of an award

There is a $200 ( approx 154 ) fee for the challenge - but should you be earning miles, then this amount is 78 lower than paying BA's surcharges and 205 cheaper than QF's

When you fly out in October, being Platinum - as long as you use a OW carrier you will earn approx 19,563 miles one way getting you to 52,344 miles.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 6, 17 at 11:28 am
Old Jul 7, 17, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
I’m in the reverse situation in that I moved from Oz to the UK, albeit for a longer (indefinite) period. If you are already a BAEC member then I would not consider joining QFF (even for domestic flights). It is a poor frequent flyer programme. (That said, I am sticking with QFF for another 12 months to make Life Time Gold).

Adding your BAEC number to Qantas bookings will allow you to earn Avios and Tier Points, and you can earn and redeem Avios for flights in Australia (or another Oneworld partner). You will also be able to use the Qantas mobile app with your BAEC number added without being a Qantas Frequent Flyer.

The good thing about BAEC (and there are getting fewer) is you are not penalised with Tier points when you fly partner airlines, only reduced Avios. So you need to decide what is more important for you, getting Avios or moving from BAEC Blue > Bronze > Silver > Gold.

If you want to sign up for a different frequent flyer programme, then Dave Noble has provided a better assessment of American Airlines than I could.
Old Jul 7, 17, 4:49 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
To be really pedantic, i could suggest that rediting to the AS program is the best value - especially if you want to fly massively high cost local Alaskan flights (eg ANC-DUT).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: