Where had her fingers been?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Where had her fingers been?

in the ADL QP waiting my turn to use the toasted sandwich maker. Woman infront of me grabbed bread from the basket with her fingers, carefully checked out the two slices and stuffed one slice back in the basket and grabbed another slice - again with her fingers. She avoided using the tongs which were already against the bread basket. I suggested she should use the tongs and her look was of utter amazement - possibly that anyone would question what she did.

Afterwards I thought of several comments that I should / could have said, but unfortunately I was not thinking quickly enough. One being "you might know where your fingers have been, but we don't and you expect us to eat what you've been handling".
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:36 pm

That is disgusting. I'm always amazed at how some people can just lack any sense of civic-mindedness. I hope you informed a lounge attendant so they could throw out the bread.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:53 pm

You should have picked the bread up off of her plate looked at it then put it back.
I think the message would have been well received by then
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Firemansam
You should have picked the bread up off of her plate looked at it then put it back.
Lol
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Ick.....
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:08 pm

This would be the time for a few sprinkles of water on your fingers and a fake sneeze on her food.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:52 am

Be happy she didn't stick those obviously filthy fingers into your eye or worse, into your pants.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Firemansam
And / or asked her to pick it up and discard or throw it out in front of her saying people do not like food touched by other's hand !

Seen this on cruises a lot.....
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:07 am

germ-a-phobes

"people do not like food touched by other's hand !" .. better not go to a restaurant ever again then, just to be safe. jeez people are such germ-phobes these days.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by red75231
"people do not like food touched by other's hand !" .. better not go to a restaurant ever again then, just to be safe. jeez people are such germ-phobes these days.
In Australia it is mandatory for staff of restaurants, kitchens and similar/related locations to follow basic hygiene procedures/processes.

So one can at least assume these are followed.

There are no such regulations for PAX and their guests accessing Airline lounges.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:54 am

You could have spat on her plate - but that would be disgusting.

DON
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:09 pm

Unfortunately, people like that can be found pretty much everywhere. Some of them think they're not doing anything wrong since "my hands I clean/ I washed them at some point". I'd ask to replace the bread, and possibly stick to something packed/impossible to pick using hands
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Isn't there a sign in lounges that says serving utensils must be used and that it is against the law to handle food with fingers or something to that effect? I'm sure I've seen something like that at some QF lounges?

I don't think I am confusing them with our local Woolies which definitely does have the sign saying that serving tong must be used and it is an offence to handle food with hands or something like that in their bakery section. I am not sure if it is indeed an offence, but hopefully the sign is effective. If some QF lounges do not have a sign, maybe they should put a sign up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Originally Posted by red75231
+1
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I was in a Doubletree in Canada a couple of weeks ago and was waiting for the staff member to refill the bread. He did so but used his fingers to take the bread from the container he was carrying and pop it into the dispenser at the buffet. I thought it was a bit odd given that the tongs were just there but I suppose it would have taken him a lot longer to use the tongs than his fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.