Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Points and Status on BA CityFlyer services?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold FF

I'm flying from LCY - TXL booked through BA but it's operated by BA CityFlyer. Does this get me QF FF points and status credits?

I'm using my QF details for the booking so I get my tier benefits but the QF points calculator doesn't allow it as a route, only LHR - TXL (BA operated) so made me wonder.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The LCY / CityFlyer flights ought to work exactly the same as mainline BA flights. There should be no differences.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A recent CityFlyer AMS-LCY booked on the BA code through ba.com paid 50 QF points and 5 SCs.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
A recent CityFlyer AMS-LCY booked on the BA code through ba.com paid 50 QF points and 5 SCs.
50 points! Incredible. I wish QF and BA didn't hate each other so much!!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QueEff
Not only 50 points but we got an extra 2 hrs in AMS waiting for the incoming LCY-AMS flight due to fog which stopped ops into LCY. How good was that !
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What has like/dislike to do with it and what evidence is there that the people in the 2 airlines hate each other?

From the partner airline earning table at https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...-earning-table

For LCY-AMS, which is 209 miles, this falls in to the 101-250 miles categorgy where a discount economy booking earns 50 points and 5SCs ; this is a standard earning for that distance

For LCY-TXL , since this is a lot further at 569 miles and falls into the 501-750 miles category, the earning will be 170 points and 10SCs; take the journey in business class and would earn a 825 miles and 40SCs

This is standard across partner marketed flights and not special low earning for BA
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Discount economy flights on BA always earn dreadfully low points whether you are crediting to QF or BA. At least you get the Status Credits.

The BA Cityflyer service is great though. The Embraer planes are comfortable and LCY is a great little airport.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Revenge
The BA Cityflyer service is great though. The Embraer planes are comfortable and LCY is a great little airport.
Yes indeed. Also a great train service. But renting a car from Hertz at LCY means a refreshing 10 min brisk walk to the far end of the rental car parking lot. Probably why their cars are the cheapest rentals at this location.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by og
Yes indeed. Also a great train service. But renting a car from Hertz at LCY means a refreshing 10 min brisk walk to the far end of the rental car parking lot. Probably why their cars are the cheapest rentals at this location.
Much better than trying to rent from Heathrow where there is the need to wait for a bus to take a 15 minute drive to the Hertz office

Gatwick can have a fair trek from the rental desk to the car

LCY has a walk to the car, but at least if there is any issue with the car can drive it to the office to be addressed. Also, the office does offer to drive people down to the car when not busy

The walk is offset ime by the fact that the walk from the aeroplane to the terminal is generally very short rather than being up to a mile from the aeroplane to immigration at LHR ; LGW can be a fair walk from some gates too

regardless, this is nothing to do with Qantas or its programme
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
LCY has a walk to the car, but at least if there is any issue with the car can drive it to the office to be addressed. Also, the office does offer to drive people down to the car when not busy
My car had a flat battery and was parked in the most distant space. So I walked to or from the Terminal 3 times - with my bags. Hence my sensitivity to the Hertz location. Notwithstanding, I was glad it had a flat battery in the Hertz lot rather than further afield. It was not busy - and no ride was offered.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Nothing to do with hate.

QFF awards you points in the program based on how much extra information that activity provides about you for their program marketing database. If you paid say $200 for your flight:

- QFF provides you 50 QFF points for the BA flights
- If you spent $200 at Woolworths, you'd get 87 points
- If you spend $200 on a QFF credit card, you'd get up to 300 points.

Do things that give them more valuable marketing data on you, they'll give you more points. BA Economy flights are fairly low on their pecking order.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by og
My car had a flat battery and was parked in the most distant space. So I walked to or from the Terminal 3 times - with my bags. Hence my sensitivity to the Hertz location. Notwithstanding, I was glad it had a flat battery in the Hertz lot rather than further afield. It was not busy - and no ride was offered.
If that had happened at Gatwick, it would be at as bad in that situation. Heathrow is bad even on a good day, since regardless of any car issue, there is still a 15 minute bus ride and the waiting time for the bus that runs ( ime) on a 20-30 minute frequency

It was nicer at LCY when Hertz had some parking bays in the area just opposite the current hertz office
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Nothing to do with hate.

QFF awards you points in the program based on how much extra information that activity provides about you for their program marketing database. If you paid say $200 for your flight:

Do things that give them more valuable marketing data on you, they'll give you more points. BA Economy flights are fairly low on their pecking order.
Nice breakdown and true enough, I get more points buying a tshirt at Asos through online mall than I do flying from London to Berlin!

Though it's a more general thing when I look at points earned for the same route on say AA vs BA, BA always seems to be lower.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
When you fly BA, it is BA that buys QF points from the QF ffp to reward (bribe) you travelling on BA.
When you shop at Woollies, it is Woollies that buys QF points from the QF ffp to reward (bribe) you for your custom.

Frequent flyer program sell miles/points for money. A better business than putting self loading cargo in a metal tube. Sometimes a punter gets a (not so) "free" flight.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:00 am

Nice breakdown and true enough, I get more points buying a tshirt at Asos through online mall than I do flying from London to Berlin!

Though it's a more general thing when I look at points earned for the same route on say AA vs BA, BA always seems to be lower.
For an identical route , the earnings are the same for the categories

The earnings can also be reflective of how the partner wants to credit. BA tends to reward discount economy lower than AA,

For BA GKLMNOQSV are all classed as discount economy with BEHTWY being classed as flexible economy whilst for AA outside USA GNSOQ are classed as discount economy with HKLMV as economy.

The partner earning table for discount economy is the same for AA and BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.