Community
Wiki Posts
Search

today's QF62 / yesterday's QF61

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 2:46 am
Original Poster

today's QF62 / yesterday's QF61

I found some very unusual route QF61/62 taking looking at flightrader24.
Normally on this route, plane directs to each direction after departure but yesterday's flight from BNE to NRT and today's flight from NRT to BNE is taking very unusual route as follows.

Tokyo - Manila - Kota Kinabaru (Malaysia) - Indonesia - Darwin -Brisbane

By having such route, it takes almost 11 hours from Tokyo to Brisbane while it normally takes only 8hours and a half.

Do you know why this flight is taking such an inefficient route yesterday and today ? This huge detour makes delay and yesterda's QF61 arrived Narita just before 11pm and could not make the return back to Brisbane in the same day.

Regards,
Old May 15, 2017, 3:43 am

See here: link
Old May 15, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you

Hi Eminere,

Thank you very much.
For me, this looks very unusual and interesting to find this is the issue of non compliance to ETOPS.

Also the link you shared is also of use.
Thank you again .

Regards,
Old May 15, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
trivia... that VH-QPA is aircraft of qf72 incident from oct 2008 which is being discussed in other thread... wonder if there is correlation
Old May 15, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Very much doubt it.
As per the qfsource link some issue that whilst the aircraft was safe to fly, made it illegal to fly ETOPS180 so it had to hug closer to land than normal.

As long as its safe, better to delay pax for a few hours than a whole day or two while you wait for parts/ a fix
Old May 16, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by fakecd
trivia... that VH-QPA is aircraft of qf72 incident from oct 2008 which is being discussed in other thread... wonder if there is correlation
You have been reading too many conspiracy theories
Old May 16, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by moa999
As per the qfsource link some issue that whilst the aircraft was safe to fly, made it illegal to fly ETOPS180 so it had to hug closer to land than normal.
I'm not sure whether that would mean a 60-minute requirement, but getting this from gcmap.com was very illuminating:-

Old May 16, 2017, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
heh. this made my curious, and I thought that rego was familiar so I looked up my recent flights and... yup. I flew on that VH-QPA not too long ago to NRT
Old May 16, 2017, 6:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ggggrey
heh. this made my curious, and I thought that rego was familiar so I looked up my recent flights and... yup. I flew on that VH-QPA not too long ago to NRT
You do know that the flight deck crew are unlikely to accept the job of flying the aircraft if they reckon its not safe ..
Old May 16, 2017, 8:09 pm

A fault that temporarily removes ETOPS from a plane can be very minor and a true corner case. I really wouldn't worry. Given that the plane is still allowed to fly it reality it is still entirely capable of ETOPS work. Just the paper work says no.

The real list to worry about is the minimum equipment list and if there is any doubt around that no pilot would even consider flying it.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by og
You do know that the flight deck crew are unlikely to accept the job of flying the aircraft if they reckon its not safe ..
oh yeah I know. I thought it was just slightly interesting, that's all.

Ironically it was the return flight (different vehicle) that had a rough (in the scale of things it was probably pretty mild, but it was rough to me ) turbulence the whole flight.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:15 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nzkarit
I really wouldn't worry. Given that the plane is still allowed to fly it reality it is still entirely capable of ETOPS work. Just the paper work says no.
Maybe yes, maybe no. For a start it's EDTO, not ETOPs, and something like a GPS U/S there can be significant implications for safety, such as the ability to use Saipan as an EDTO alternate when weather indicates the likelihood of a GNSS approach. QPC had such an issue last year flying 61, luckily extra fuel taken preflight enabled Guam to be used instead.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Actual flight

I heard from my friend who was taking this flight that there was no explanation from Qantas and many passengers were worrying as the flight was taking unusual route.
Passengers just guessed either problem of the aircraft or North Korea may attack Guam.

Bit surprised if no explanation on board was really made for extra flight time.

Regards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.