Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What is Platinum One really worth? About 1 bottle of champagne...

What is Platinum One really worth? About 1 bottle of champagne...

Old May 27, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
It sounds to me as thought the P1 passengers were perhaps rebooked by the SST.... It's IMHO totally unrealistic to expect a wait and see approach from the airline....
Please consider:

We have no idea whether the rebooking was done by the SST - I would have thought that if the SST had done the rebooking they would have attempted to communicate with their prized P1 passengers to let them know of their intervention! If I was still P1 I would certainly want to know if my itinerary had been changed! I would certainly be ringing them up for an explanation!

The OP says the connecting flight arrived at T-60 - certainly the OP and fellow passengers assumed they would make the flight (so why ring the SST?)!

Maybe, even if the SST were even bothering to track the various journeys of their P1s, they also assumed there was no need to intervene!

Surely it is more likely that decisions were made on the ground in LAX by local staff. Cost savings to the airline, as mooted by Dave Noble, may or may not have been a factor in that decision.

IMHO QF is very lucky that they are many who do not hold them to a higher standard of delivering on their product definition / brand promise, and /or are disinclined to embrace the (in many cases superior and more cost effective) competition. That applying especially to P1s wherein you'd think QF would have more idea about basic custom service.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Platy
Please consider:

We have no idea whether the rebooking was done by the SST - I would have thought that if the SST had done the rebooking they would have attempted to communicate with their prized P1 passengers to let them know of their intervention! If I was still P1 I would certainly want to know if my itinerary had been changed! I would certainly be ringing them up for an explanation!

The OP says the connecting flight arrived at T-60 - certainly the OP and fellow passengers assumed they would make the flight (so why ring the SST?)!

Maybe, even if the SST were even bothering to track the various journeys of their P1s, they also assumed there was no need to intervene!

Surely it is more likely that decisions were made on the ground in LAX by local staff. Cost savings to the airline, as mooted by Dave Noble, may or may not have been a factor in that decision.

If you had quoted the other part of my post you would see that is exactly what I said. The SST whether or not they were involved with the change should have communicated this to the affected pax.

Call me a pessimist but I would not in any way expect to make an international flight arrivng at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
If you had quoted the other part of my post you would see that is exactly what I said. The SST whether or not they were involved with the change should have communicated this to the affected pax.

Call me a pessimist but I would not in any way expect to make an international flight arrivng at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure.
Actually you said it wasn't poor treatment of the P1, which appears to put you firmly in the QF apologist camp on this one.

In any case, the real question is would you expect to be OK if you had landed on your connecting flight at T-60?! Would you have called the SST upon landing (rather than arriving at the gate at T-15) in such circumstances?

The T-15 gate arrival isn't the appropriate node in the decision tree, is it?

By the way, I had a doctor friend who travelled on QF regularly with similar status to myself - comparing notes over several years of travel he seemed to get preferential treatment, which we hypothesised was due to his title of "DR" and a presumption that QF look after such in case they need to be called on in a flight.

Just a theory.

But if true may be a factor in explaining differential experiences.

Last edited by Platy; May 28, 2017 at 8:11 am
Old May 28, 2017, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
Actually you said it wasn't poor treatment of the P1, which appears to put you firmly in the QF apologist camp on this one.
Can people not have differing views without being called an apologist?
Old May 28, 2017, 4:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
(Deleted)
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
And here is the 2108 1 bottle of champagne that P1 is worth

i agree with the OP , P1 is a lot of hype but not really worth stretching for

if you get it organically through regular flying then utilize it , if its a goal for you Id recommend other goals

Inside of box

Outside of box
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
I am still genuinely surprised why QF hasn't followed the Lufthansa example of creating a real uber status which is worth spending a a couple of hundred thousand dollars on. As most people here say, the way P1 is currently structured it is something you will not go out of your way for to earn it.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I am still genuinely surprised why QF hasn't followed the Lufthansa example of creating a real uber status which is worth spending a a couple of hundred thousand dollars on. As most people here say, the way P1 is currently structured it is something you will not go out of your way for to earn it.
I cannot imagine that many people would go out of their way to earn status at all - Most people will be getting anu status by virtue of travel that they do
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot imagine that many people would go out of their way to earn status at all - Most people will be getting anu status by virtue of travel that they do
Every single LH HON I know is going completely out of his / her way to earn this status.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Once you have life Gold status of course you dont need to chase status.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by og

Once you have life Gold status of course you dont need to chase status.
I didn't chase status before I had it; I attained status levels by virtuee of doing the travel I was doing anyway

Regardless - status is a by product of travelling - I do not know many people who would travel just to get the status
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I didn't chase status before I had it; I attained status levels by virtuee of doing the travel I was doing anyway

Regardless - status is a by product of travelling - I do not know many people who would travel just to get the status
You've been on Flyertalk since 2002?
turtlemichael likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
You've been on Flyertalk since 2002?
and?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Every single LH HON I know is going completely out of his / her way to earn this status.
I had LH HON for a couple of years when it was first introduced (2005? a long time ago) and P1 is nothing compared to HON then (even CL was not comparable). The HON benefits were wide ranging and substantial, everything to make travel easier. You could even book your own FA, they would arrange crew schedules so she would work your flight as long as you were booked in F (back then LH F cabin was not quite competitive with BA/CX etc. though had charming touches like a rose at your seat, so LH used their soft product to make up for it, and then of course built the FCT and got the Porsche deal). Its an interesting business model, and one that QF could learn from.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by number_6
I had LH HON for a couple of years when it was first introduced (2005? a long time ago) and P1 is nothing compared to HON then (even CL was not comparable). The HON benefits were wide ranging and substantial, everything to make travel easier. You could even book your own FA, they would arrange crew schedules so she would work your flight as long as you were booked in F (back then LH F cabin was not quite competitive with BA/CX etc. though had charming touches like a rose at your seat, so LH used their soft product to make up for it, and then of course built the FCT and got the Porsche deal). Its an interesting business model, and one that QF could learn from.
I'm hoping there are more substantial benefits than getting Heidi rostered to pour your cup of tea and a rose on your seat. Sounds like pure affectation. Can you share any benefits of substance?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.