Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is Qantas dropping the ball on Canada?

Is Qantas dropping the ball on Canada?

Old May 7, 2017, 1:49 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by M.Wilson

I am surprised AC are flying to all East Coast AUS ports now- where are the pax coming from to fill these flights?
Don't forget about freight. The airline won't care so long as the aircraft has maximum possible uplift weight for the sector and at the highest profit.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: QF, EK
Originally Posted by og
Don't forget about freight. The airline won't care so long as the aircraft has maximum possible uplift weight for the sector and at the highest profit.
Ah right, of course! Same as the talk up the thread about the QF long hauls depending on freight for profit.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Damed Either Way with QF to Canada

Either have to tolerate generally 'simple' and rude TSA at LAX, maybe miss your connection to JFK or elsewhere in USA or suffer major service downgrade if you're a QF premium pax then transferring to Westjet.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I know you are joking with that routing, but yes, yes, yes! (Does QF have landing rights in YYZ? 😉 )....
QF does have landing rights at YYZ and there are A380 capable gates available, so it is not technically impossible. As for the importance of freight, when QF left SFO 15 years ago they kept ownership of a hangar at the airport and ran trucks from LAX to SFO airport with freight (the importance of silicon valley freight). The current SFO service loses money on pax but should be profitable with the freight.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by number_6
QF does have landing rights at YYZ and there are A380 capable gates available, so it is not technically impossible. As for the importance of freight, when QF left SFO 15 years ago they kept ownership of a hangar at the airport and ran trucks from LAX to SFO airport with freight (the importance of silicon valley freight). The current SFO service loses money on pax but should be profitable with the freight.
QF didn't leave SFO 15 years ago. They may have moved most of their AU-US routes to LAX, but they still flew to SFO until May 2011 before resuming 5 years later.
They pulled out in 2011 not because the route was losing money, but because they thought they could make more money from DFW.

The old AU/CA agreement was 3000 seats/week for both nations and a limit of 2 cites (SYD+1 [MEL] and YYZ+1 [YVR]). The 2 city limit was dropped and the seats increased to 9000/week when AC was working on starting their flights to BNE.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Having QF direct flights to YVR on a regular basis would be very helpful for OneWorld Circle Pacific fares, the current arrangement requires YVR pax to schlep through DFW and LAX before heading across the pacific.

Star Alliance circle products do a much better job of servicing AU/NZ.

I'm guessing that ANZ and AC wouldn't be running flights to AKL, BNE, SYD and MEL if they didn't think they could make money. I've always wondered about QF's DFW flights, DFW doesn't really seem like much of a 'destination', although AA has great connections to anywhere from there.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HeyAussie
Having QF direct flights to YVR on a regular basis would be very helpful for OneWorld Circle Pacific fares, the current arrangement requires YVR pax to schlep through DFW and LAX before heading across the pacific.

Star Alliance circle products do a much better job of servicing AU/NZ.

I'm guessing that ANZ and AC wouldn't be running flights to AKL, BNE, SYD and MEL if they didn't think they could make money. I've always wondered about QF's DFW flights, DFW doesn't really seem like much of a 'destination', although AA has great connections to anywhere from there.
I think that the onward connections is the point. It gives Qantas the option of selling lots of 1 stop flights to the USA on Qantas flight numbers
Old May 16, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Feeders and codeshares are very important.

eg. HNL works because a lot of people are only going to O'ahu, but if pricing a trip with flights to the other islands, you will generally find that HA is substantially cheaper than QF
Old May 16, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that the onward connections is the point. It gives Qantas the option of selling lots of 1 stop flights to the USA on Qantas flight numbers
The extra 1 stop flights as a selling point are definitely the case, especially to southeastern destinations (read: the Mouse House in Orlando), but also to DCA and LGA and Texas. I believe QF themselves have said BOS/IAH/MCO/LGA are their most popular origin/destination connecting points for the DFW flight.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I know you are joking with that routing, but yes, yes, yes! (Does QF have landing rights in YYZ? �� )
Yes, they do. And they may operate full fifth freedom traffic rights via HNL.

But of course, just because something is technically possible and legally permitted, doesn't mean that it is financially viable, or the best use of Qantas' resources.

There are lots of markets that Qantas is allowed to operate to, but don't. There are few markets where they are operating at their maximum allowed levels. Having only recently having had the number of seats allowed to Canada from the major markets drastically increase doesn't actually mean that Qantas wants, or needs, to fill the alloted numbers (which, of course, can also be claimed by Virgin Australia).
Attached Images  
Old May 16, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Qantas' extensive codesharing arrangements for Canada would appear to offset the disparity in the number of actual own-metal services to that country, in comparison with AC.

Partnership is, after all, key for Qantas and for most other airlines, who can better make use of their own resources by focusing them on the most profitable routes.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes: many do, especially if you do not live in SYD or AKL (where most USA long haul depart/arrive).
There are many trans Tasman (Au NZ) flights from/to smaller Au NZ airports.
For example flying ADL-AKL-LAX (on Air NZ) is a viable option to ADL-SYD-LAX (on QF). And avoid the pain of a domestic to international terminal transfer at SYD.
I have family in NZ who prefer to transit SYD instead of AKL. (separate domestic & international terminals like SYD)

It it unknown if the management of Air Sydney (some times known as Qantas) are aware there are people who do not live in SYD.
It it unknown if the management of Air Auckland (some times known as Air NZ) are aware there are people who live south of the Bombay Hills.
Hence the many long haul flights from SYD & AKL

Awesome post and LOL.

Just did my first QF, a most excellent QF 148 AKL-SYD. Will post photos and comments soon.

Flew AC to LAX, AA to AKL and my first preference would have been to fly QF long-haul and avoid all that nonsense. Story for another time.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Either have to tolerate generally 'simple' and rude TSA at LAX, maybe miss your connection to JFK or elsewhere in USA or suffer major service downgrade if you're a QF premium pax then transferring to Westjet.
I travel through LAX every three or so months. I have never had a rude TSA agent there or anywhere else. I'm sure they exist, but I'm yet to meet one. Most are as friendly as I would expect someone in that sort of job to be. The transcon offering of US airlines has improved a lot in recent years, I'd rather take my chances with 2 minutes with an unfriendly TSA agent than 5 hours on a LCC.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bensyd
I travel through LAX every three or so months. I have never had a rude TSA agent there or anywhere else. I'm sure they exist, but I'm yet to meet one. Most are as friendly as I would expect someone in that sort of job to be. The transcon offering of US airlines has improved a lot in recent years, I'd rather take my chances with 2 minutes with an unfriendly TSA agent than 5 hours on a LCC.
I've been quite surprised by the pleasant nature of TSA and Immigration people (in general) at USA gateways. This only applies to the approx last 2 years. Before that it seemed they treated everyone as the enemy. Hopefully those days are over.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og
I've been quite surprised by the pleasant nature of TSA and Immigration people (in general) at USA gateways. This only applies to the approx last 2 years. Before that it seemed they treated everyone as the enemy. Hopefully those days are over.
I agree.

The last ahole I had at immigration was probably about 10 years ago. I'm trying to think of the last time I was actually asked a question by immigration when entering the US. It seems these days, for me, it's just a stamp and a "welcome to the United States". I guess others have different experiences. Even the guys at MIA manage to crack a smile every now and then these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.