Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas "challenge" to reinstate expired points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas "challenge" to reinstate expired points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by serfty
The rules may be all well and good, but about two years ago Qantas began to obfuscate that a member's points were soon to expire.
I disagree. About the only way you could miss that points were going to expire is to have no interaction at all with QFF.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:20 pm

But QFF dont send a proper email stating in subject line or opening pages specifically about Expired points information, they hide expiry info in the newsletter in small black print, like other member's have experience and some didn't even get the newsletters leading up to expiry as well, I've read on other sites/Facebook with other QFF members getting screwed like this deceptive conduct.
Imagine if your Electricity, Rates, Registration, etc. Important payment due dates/expiry information came in smallest black print in there newsletters, most people wouldn't pay on time, so the business/company could recoup overdue payments or recoup re-registration fees, well that would be wrong, so what makes QFF exempt? When these Utilities send you info about expiry or payment, they send you in Bold information only about this important information/Date, so you cant possibility miss this important date to act apond.
I found a law against this, Its Named 'Misleading or Deceptive Conduct" under Section 18 of "Australian Consumer Law". So this quote from LawPath below is exactly what QFF are doing by hiding the most important information of "points expiry in small black print."

"Disclaimers and small print".

Where a business hides important disclaimers within small print to advertise their product or services, they may not be protected from liability by the disclaimer. If a business intentionally utilises small, unnoticeable placements for their disclaimers or buries them within the small print of their advertisement then they may be liable for misleading or deceptive conduct.

Last edited by Brewy; Sep 2, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by alp0k4t
Hi ATD,

Any good news with your points regarding the reinstated points so far? It just happened to me yesterday when I checked my email that I was so shocked that all my points has expired on 30 June 2017. No warning.

I had lost my points for the first time in the past year and got them back and keep the account active by joining Wollies reward. Since then, I always check my Qantas newsletter from my email to see my points still there (without log into the QantasFF account). I always check any expiry notice (in fine print). I also kept all the Qantas Point Balance Newsletter. Coincident or not, when I checked my email yesterday, I did not have the email from QantasFF for Month of May and June. (The month where the expiry notice likely to be sent).

Just yesterday after reading all the problem with expired Qantas points, that I also realise while I keep shopping at Wollies, no points has been transferred into the Qantas as Wollies has changed their program.

So today I spoke with the Qantas FF, they offer me the reinstated points within next six months from 2 sources. I wonder if it has work with you and whether you have get your points back already. Any advice for the 2 sources?

Thank you ATD.
This isn't fair, they expect us to spend thousands of dollars more to do a Points Challenge to reinstate points, this QFF Program is a scam money making racket, they purposely hide expiry info in small writing or dont sent newsletters so members miss and lose points and then expect us to spend more money to get points back!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brewy
This isn't fair, they expect us to spend thousands of dollars more to do a Points Challenge to reinstate points, this QFF Program is a scam money making racket, they purposely hide expiry info in small writing or don't sent newsletters so members miss and lose points and then expect us to spend more money to get points back!
The program t&c's are clear.
They do not expect people to spend money to get points back.
They do expect people who are a member of the frequent flyer loyalty program to have an eligible activity at least once in 18 months to keep points alive. Living in Australia this is not hard for many people. Many people seem to overlook/ignore the frequent part.

Brewy Do you have any thing that can be considered an eligible activity in the last 18-24 months? Car hire, hotel, Jetstar or another Oneworld airline flight.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The program t&c's are clear.
They do not expect people to spend money to get points back.
They do expect people who are a member of the frequent flyer loyalty program to have an eligible activity at least once in 18 months to keep points alive. Living in Australia this is not hard for many people. Many people seem to overlook/ignore the frequent part.

Brewy Do you have any thing that can be considered an eligible activity in the last 18-24 months? Car hire, hotel, Jetstar or another Oneworld airline flight.
The "Points Challenge" to get expired points back does make members spend unnecessary aggressively more money to get points back within 6 months, for example, Woolworth Rewards, have to spend $2000, just to convert to QFF for only 870 points, and Woolworth's rewards only convert points over only every 3 months, so this option could be a stretch, so this points challenge is only for 6 months and 2500 points from 2 sources? I even told them I'll take this challenge nearly 4 weeks ago, as when I found this info out, as I knew we was only around $100 dollars off $2000 that i could of change Woolworth rewards into 870 FF points, that I could convert, but they didn't do it and when we spend Woolworth rewards card and got on/over $2000, it automatically converts it to $10, as it was a waste of time if I did convert to 870 ff points, as the challenge hadn't been set up or started on there end and then I had this incompetent QFF staff member say, why did you take the $10, I said to her 4 times because your incompetent staff didn't do it when I said this 870 points wouldn't have been counted, as points challenge hasn't started and she just couldn't understand and its there procedure, so looks like the whole QFF program is a fiasco from my experience.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:37 am

so looks like the whole QFF program is a fiasco from my experience.
Perhaps you should just avoid participating in loyalty programs if you don't intend to actually show even a smidgin of interest in them by regularly accruing even a tiny number of points (which is trivially easy for QFF points), and also pay attention to the T&Cs you agreed to.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by RealityBites; Sep 3, 2017 at 4:07 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
...... because your incompetent staff ......
Attacking the messenger rarely helps you win the battle. You need the call centre operator to be on your side to get anywhere on this issue.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by RealityBites
I disagree. About the only way you could miss that points were going to expire is to have no interaction at all with QFF.
This is incorrect.

Log onto your account on Qantas.com.

Now try to find when your last activity more than 13 months ago was, or failing that, some indication of a date when your points will expire.

This is interaction.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:45 pm

This is incorrect.
ROFL - no.

Log onto your account on Qantas.com.

Now try to find when your last activity more than 13 months ago was, or failing that, some indication of a date when your points will expire
Like this...

Activity Statement for 01 Sep 2015 - 30 Sep 2015
Date.........Description.......................... ...............Qantas Points...Total Points
03 SEP 15 MARRIOTT REWARDS 50% BONUS 28MAY15 - 413
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You seem to fiddled with the URL .... it a trick but not relevant to the issue.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 3, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what normally happens:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:37 pm

it a trick but not relevant to the issue.
No, but I will leave you to your strongly held beliefs!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I found a law against this, Its Named 'Misleading or Deceptive Conduct" under Section 18 of "Australian Consumer Law". So this quote from LawPath below is exactly what QFF are doing by hiding the most important information of "points expiry in small black print."

"Disclaimers and small print".

Where a business hides important disclaimers within small print to advertise their product or services, they may not be protected from liability by the disclaimer. If a business intentionally utilises small, unnoticeable placements for their disclaimers or buries them within the small print of their advertisement then they may be liable for misleading or deceptive conduct.
Then you have two options available to you:

1) Complete the challenge, and it needn't cost thousands
2) Commence legal proceedings against them, if you believe that their conduct is against the law.

Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:04 am
ATD
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Hi all,

I didn't expect so many comments on my thread and actually didn't check back here either.

I erroneously originally wrote that the challenge was 2000 points; actually it was 2500.

Infuriatingly, I find myself with 2345 points and only three weeks to garner the balance.

I got 700 from a car rental in Canada (that too only after hassling Budget to credit me), 870 from Woolies transfer, and 775 from two discounted Srilankan flights.

Now I need to get 115 points asap.

I am in India at the moment and the best option I find is purchasing on Macys via the Qantas Online Mall. 4 miles per $, so a $30 spend should see me home, assuming the points will post in time. I do have a US address and credit card.

Any other suggestions how to make up the shortfall? Or any experience how long the points will take to post to my account?

Thank you!

--ATD
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best way I know to almost guarantee points posting within 24 hours is with an Epiqure purchase as per post #4 .

Can you have some wine delivered to someone in Oz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.