Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas "challenge" to reinstate expired points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas "challenge" to reinstate expired points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by NewportNomad
This means that people who are working full time and get many emails can easily miss that obfucated information.
Do people who are working full time also need to be reminded of doctor's appointments, dinner reservations, theatre tickets? I would've assumed that people who are working full time are also adults who are generally capable of looking after their own affairs.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sadly, the position is not the same as it has always been. Previously, QANTAS gave customers obvious email warnings with appropriate email titles. Now they deliberately hide the warning within an email with an ordinary title. This means that people who are working full time and get many emails can easily miss that obfucated information.
It may be worth your while reading this thread - QFF cancelled with no notice [points expiry] - together with the screenshots that I posted here and here, as well as someone else's screenshot of the QF website here.

I can't currently reproduce that website screenshot as I don't currently have points that are sufficiently close to expiry.

Unfortunately, nobody has yet posted a screenshot of an example of an email with obfuscatory wording, or confirmed whether Australian residents get a differently-worded email from those members who are overseas.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: Qantas, Thai Airways, Etihad
Originally Posted by eminere
Do people who are working full time also need to be reminded of doctor's appointments, dinner reservations, theatre tickets? I would've assumed that people who are working full time are also adults who are generally capable of looking after their own affairs.
Yes, of course, people should be responsible for their own affairs. However, the issue coming through on this forum is that QANTAS has changed and is now deliberately hiding the information, whereas before they provided clear emails regarding the imminent loss of points. Although as a QANTAS Platinum flyer, I don't personally have this issue, I have had good and helpful reminder emails from Emirates & Singapore Airlines, when points are due to expire.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
However, the issue coming through on this forum is that QANTAS has changed and is now deliberately hiding the information, whereas before they provided clear emails regarding the imminent loss of points.
It would be good to have some screenshots showing how this "hiding" is being done.

The emails that I posted before (which I had personally received) spanned 5˝ years, in response to a suggestion that for years QF had been sending "spammy-looking" emails that wouldn't get read.

If the expiry warning emails that QF has been sending more recently (ie since May 2017, the most recent of my expiry warning emails) have started obfuscating, it would be good to see an example of it.

What's been posted on this board has unfortunately sometimes come from people who probably wouldn't have read anything they were sent.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Qantas, Thai Airways, Etihad
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It may be worth your while reading this thread - together with the screenshots that I posted as well as someone else's screenshot of the QF website.

I can't currently reproduce that website screenshot as I don't currently have points that are sufficiently close to expiry.

Unfortunately, nobody has yet posted a screenshot of an example of an email with obfuscatory wording, or confirmed whether Australian residents get a differently-worded email from those members who are overseas.
Many thanks for those links. A good ranges of views on that thread too.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: qantas
Hey guys,

I've asked this question on another thread before but never got a reply. Has anyone had a successful re-instatement of their points? I have accumulated enough points for the 2500 points challenge (4152 to be exact) from 2 different categories (Online store and Hoyts) but have yet to receive my expired points?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ljwalvin
Hey guys,

I've asked this question on another thread before but never got a reply. Has anyone had a successful re-instatement of their points? I have accumulated enough points for the 2500 points challenge (4152 to be exact) from 2 different categories (Online store and Hoyts) but have yet to receive my expired points?
Did you formally arrange to undertake such a challenge? If so, how was it confirmed to you.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:42 am

Hey Serfty,
I spoke to the Qantas staff and they offered it to me when I found out that it'd expired. There was no confirmation as such but there was a record of it on their system when I spoke to the lady on the phone. At that time, I had thought that purchasing from 2 different stores from Qantas mall were considered 2 different sources but clarified that 1 had to be from the online store and the other from another source eg. Hoyts. Fingers crossed I get em back!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Have you called back?

When you log on to your Qantas account online the page shows a breakdown of your last twelve months earn.

At it's most basic these may identify 'different' sources from where earn can come.

As a note, EpiQure is close the quickest earn. Woolworths can take up to three months and Restaurants up to two months.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:36 pm

Hey Serfty,

I just rang and they said I've reached the points and should be in my account on Wednesday. Thought they were closed over the easter holidays but guess not! Didn't question why it was taking so long but the lady said to ring if it hasn't been credited by Wed..Fingers crossed!
serfty likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:56 am

Hey guys,

I rang Qantas again today asking why the points weren't in my account yet. The lady on the phone was not as helpful this time and was sure that I had not made the qualifying purchases. It also seemed like an overseas call centre. The lady had to put me on hold but had said she will escalate the issue and follow it up for me. The timeframe given was 5-10 business days. She did say it was quite a few points (181K!) and will escalate the issue for me. Not sure why there's a hold up but hope it gets solved!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:42 am

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that the points challenge works. You just have to be persistent if they don't credit your points after you've earned the 2500 points from 2 different sources. I've rung them multiple times and it's finally been credited back into my account All 181K of it!
Mwenenzi and serfty like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:17 pm

Cool Lost Points after 22 years

Hi Guys, I have been a Qantas Frequent Flyer member for 22 years. I knew about keeping your account active and every year I used them just for that purpose. In 2016 I failed to log on to my account. I lost just under 200K points.
It makes me wonder if 'FF point losers' will lose faith in the airline. My wife wants to visit her Austrian and British heritage. When we book it would be a toss-up whether to fly Qantas again.

Last edited by Henryajay; May 5, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old May 5, 2018, 12:59 am

Old May 6, 2018, 8:07 pm

oops...QF finally gets a well deserved kick up the backside from the media on the issue of points expiry and the devaluation of points, notably for upgrades:

Qantas: ?Stolen? frequent flyer points causes outrage

perhaps the eye rollers herein sanctimoniously preaching self responsibility should consider that treating your customers with disdain generally leads to bad reputation in the marketplace and potential loss of business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.