Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Non-stop Sydney-to-London flights could happen by 2022, says Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

Both Airbus and Boeing now offer aircraft that appear to be capable of flying non-stop commercial flights from Sydney to London – the “Holy Grail” for the Australian carrier Qantas.

As long as oil prices don’t go much higher than about US$70 a barrel, the 20-hour flight can be financially viable, and could be on schedules within five years, aviation experts say.

Airbus has increased the range of its A350-900ULR to 9,700 nautical miles (17,960km) from the 8,700 nautical miles announced when it sold the plane to Singapore Airlines in 2015 for delivery the next year, a spokesman said. Including headwinds, the Sydney-London flight is equivalent to 9,600 nautical miles.

“These aircraft, we think, are potentially real goers on these routes,” the Qantas chief executive, Alan Joyce, said, referring to the A350-900ULR and the bigger but less advanced Boeing 777-8.
Fascinating!

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:42 pm

I'm sure some people will want to endure the 20hr journey to save 3hrs, connecting through the mayhem that is LHR. However, I will certainly not be one of them
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF LTSG; Accor, Starwood, IHG
Only if going to London and only if going in J or F. A 20 hour flight in Economy would be Hell.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:52 pm

It would be a nice option but the fares would be eye wateringly expensive. To be within range they couldn't carry a gram of cargo.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And possibly the timing won't work for the LHR slots (I haven't done the calcs myself).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by rugbyskier
Only if going to London and only if going in J or F. A 20 hour flight in Economy would be Hell.
TBH, I cannot see myself spending 20+ hours even in J or F... And the cost? Considering, I can get one stop fares from LH (using TG/SQ/CX connections in the Asia) for the half of current QF fares... No, thank you...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
20h in the metal tube? No, thank you.

Anyhow, what's the obsession with the LHR-SYD nonstop flight?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sxc
And possibly the timing won't work for the LHR slots (I haven't done the calcs myself).
I don't see why. If QF wanted to keep the same arrival time into London, it could just schedule the departure to be later from Sydney
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: TK Elite +, QR Gold
Just completed IST to MNL 12hrs+ that was long enough - who in their right mind would want 20hr!!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Sandpitwantabe
Just completed IST to MNL 12hrs+ that was long enough - who in their right mind would want 20hr!!
Those who would rather do 1x 20 hours in an aeroplane rather than 14.5 hours, sit around for a couple of hours and then do another 8 hours

Also on days with favourable conditions, can have case where A-B arrives maybe even an hour ahead of schedule, but since the B-C flight still leaves at the same time, rather than gain n earlier arrival, just get a longer time hanging around an airport

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 6, 2017 at 5:58 am
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I'm sure there'll be a few people that want to do the 20 hours - they are probably all members of FT and AFF however.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Not likely, less tier credits for the direct so the die hard FT would take the connections....
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Those who would rather do 1x 20 hours in an aeroplane rather than 14.5 hours, sit around for a couple of hours and then do another 8 hour.
But it often is not sit around for a couple of hours, it is the wait to disembark, go through security again (which in itself can take sometime waiting in line), a bit of free time, then line up again for boarding.....still I have yet to take an ULH or a sector longer than SYD-LAX and even when I travel to/from Europe I have in the past 10 years made a point of stopovers in Asia, so I do not think this flight is very appealing to me.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
But it often is not sit around for a couple of hours, it is the wait to disembark, go through security again (which in itself can take sometime waiting in line), a bit of free time, then line up again for boarding.....still I have yet to take an ULH or a sector longer than SYD-LAX and even when I travel to/from Europe I have in the past 10 years made a point of stopovers in Asia, so I do not think this flight is very appealing to me.
Yes - you have highlighted a nice set of drawbacks of connections

I can see there being people who would rather a longer single flight rather than have to go through the hassles of the connection

Personally, I like shorter sectors and only like to travel by day, but do know people who hate connecting and would prefer to just stay in one place until the end of the journey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.