Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

So glad QF never bought those noisy 777s

Old Apr 2, 17, 1:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Its all history that QF avoided those 777s when procrastinating about its future. I'm so glad QF didn't order the 777s after yesterday's trip SYD-(SQ)-SIN-(LX)-ZRH. The 380 is a known quantity. Nice and quiet on the upper deck towards the front. My flight last night on the very new LX 77W, again, near the front, was, however, deafening. Even earplugs didn't help very much. What a contrast between the 380 and 77W with a similar seat position in each aircraft. I've had quite a few 777 trips but last nights was the worst. Perhaps it was airframe noise around door 2L, perhaps it was the air con system - but it was uncomfortably loud. Perhaps QF have done us a favour by focusing on the 380 and 787 for the future.
Old Apr 2, 17, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by og View Post
My flight last night on the very new LX 77W, again, near the front, was, however, deafening.
Never noticed that any of the 777 (200/200ER/200LR/300/300ER) was more noticeably more noisy than other aircrafts. It's IMO a little more noisier than newly designed aircrafts (A350/A380/787), but it's definitely not much louder.

My only criticism regarding the 777 is that they didn't make the cabin wide enough to accommodate a comfortable 10-abreast configuration in Y. There are fewer and fewer airliners that configure their T7s in a 3-3-3 (or 3-4-2) layout.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 17, 3:14 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
ism regarding the 777 is that they didn't make the cabin wide enough to accommodate a comfortable 10-abreast configuration in Y.
I don't think they really intended it to be 10 across. The 777X is wider for this reason though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 17, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post

My only criticism regarding the 777 is that they didn't make the cabin wide enough to accommodate a comfortable 10-abreast configuration in Y. There are fewer and fewer airliners that configure their T7s in a 3-3-3 (or 3-4-2) layout.
3-3-3 is a nicer layout than 3-4-3 . The extra seat just gives an extra middle seat which is hardly desirable

It wasn't designed for a 10 abreast configuration , so why should it have been made wide enough for it? It seems akin to complaining that the 737 cabin isn't wide enough for a 2-2-2 configuration

Of course - one day people will forget all about the 9 across seating of a 777 in same way that no one thinks of a 747 having the 3-4-2 configuration
nancypants and ps107 like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 2, 17 at 4:55 pm
Old Apr 2, 17, 5:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
I don't think they really intended it to be 10 across. The 777X is wider for this reason though.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It wasn't designed for a 10 abreast configuration , so why should it have been made wide enough for it?
Yes, but that's IMO the problem. The 777 is wide enough to squash in 3-4-3 at the expense of customers. If it were wider (or narrower), we wouldn't be having this discussion as we would either have 3-3-3 in a 777 that isn't wide enough for 3-4-3 while still being comfortable for 3-3-3 or have comfortable 3-4-3 in a wider 777.

The 777X will not resolve the problem: The cabin is just about 5 in wider than on the current 777. That's 1/2 per seat.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 17, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
After hundreds of 777 flights -- including the old ones with the noisiest engines -- I've not noticed it to be any noisier than A330/340 and quieter than B767. The newer designs definitely reduce noise. As for seating, there are some innovative higher-density seating systems now developed but not yet deployed by any airline which solve most of the problem (of course refitting the fleets will take 20 years). For example one has middle seats that are wider/more comfortable to give some equivalence to aisle/window. Many have staggered rows which wind up giving extra leg room or at least knee room for the same density. Sadly no airline has gone for the 777 upper deck option -- there is about 2m of space available up there, ideal for sleeper berths but making for difficult airplane evacuations. Hasn't kept designers from proposing it (Y couch surfing, anyone?).
Old Apr 2, 17, 6:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Plat, IHG & Accor Plat...
FWIW... I've done most of my 777 flying on BA in Club World, and I do think they are noticeably noisier than an A380 or 787. I even thought they were noisier than a 747 back when I used to cross the Atlantic in both types quite regularly.

Also on very long sectors over 7+ hours, if I am going to get a headache or similarly feel uncomfortable...it's the 777 every time. I assume it's a cabin pressure thing, given the a380 and 787 operate at a higher cabin pressure than previous generation aircraft.
Old Apr 2, 17, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I agree with the OP and say the 777 is currently my least favourite aircraft to fly on in any class, in particular the very few flights I have taken in WHY at 10 across. It is noisy and now very common to have the 10 across in why, I have felt comfortable in 9 across, but at 10 I hated the cramped shoulder experience, felt like flying on a narrow body for hours. I have avoided the 787 so far and will actively avoid it for however long as possible.
Old Apr 2, 17, 7:04 pm

I also agree with the OP.

Having done a large number of flights between AU and Europe switching between an A380 and 777 at DXB or SIN, the difference in noise levels is absolutely obvious.

You really notice it when you switch between these two planes enroute.
Old Apr 2, 17, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by og View Post
Its all history that QF avoided those 777s when procrastinating about its future. I'm so glad QF didn't order the 777s after yesterday's trip SYD-(SQ)-SIN-(LX)-ZRH. The 380 is a known quantity. Nice and quiet on the upper deck towards the front. My flight last night on the very new LX 77W, again, near the front, was, however, deafening. Even earplugs didn't help very much. What a contrast between the 380 and 77W with a similar seat position in each aircraft. I've had quite a few 777 trips but last nights was the worst. Perhaps it was airframe noise around door 2L, perhaps it was the air con system - but it was uncomfortably loud. Perhaps QF have done us a favour by focusing on the 380 and 787 for the future.
It's noisier, but the sound has never bothered me. The cabin is noticeably drier though than the 380, you feel like Moses after a long haul flight.
deeruck likes this.
Old Apr 2, 17, 11:26 pm

I agree the 77W is noisy particularly when seated near the engine intakes. It's also very bouncy in turbulence. You do have to remember though that the 777 first flew in 1994, over 20 years ago. It's a much older design than the A380.

You might also say had QF ordered the 777 they might not have been in such a dire financial situation these last few years.
Old Apr 3, 17, 12:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, SPG gold, QF Silver, Shangri-La GC Jade, KLM FB
I have a regular route (clue is in my name) that sees me on an A380 then a B777-300ER. I notice the difference remarkably, both in terms of cabin ambient noise (from the crowds) and airframe/engine noise. Completely agree with the OP.
Old Apr 3, 17, 3:03 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
After hundreds of 777 flights -- including the old ones with the noisiest engines -- I've not noticed it to be any noisier than A330/340 and quieter than B767.
I am also with the OP on this one. The 777 is almost the only maintream plane I try to avoid if I can. It feels much louder than almost any other aircraft I know including 744s, 787s, A330/A340, A350, A380. While it has great airline economics it is not great in terms of passenger comfort.
Old Apr 3, 17, 4:14 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Discoverist.
Totally agree..the 777 is purely an airline accountants dream and pax nightmare. I avoid this aircraft when possible. It's undoubtedly loud. I have no idea how someone compared the A330 to the 777 noise wise?
Old Apr 3, 17, 7:49 pm

Programs: QFF
I've never noticed any sound differences between a 777 and any other widebody aircraft I've ever been on. (747, 767, A380, A340, A330)

The only time I've noticed any annoyance from aircraft generated noise level is when sitting in a window seat just behind the wing, or down the back of an MD80.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: