Upgrades

Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver
Upgrades

Hi guys!

I have a few questions about my upcoming travel from Dubai to Melbourne on qantas.

I'm flying in business and was originally hoping to use my points to upgrade to first class, however, after the change in rules regarding points needed for upgrade I am approximately 8,000 points short.

I wanted to ask two things.

Firstly, under the current situation I will have enough points for this upgrade after I actually complete the flight, therefore I was wondering if Qantas offers the possibility of having this upgrade go through and then the remaining points being deducted from the points I am meant to receive for the actual flight.

Secondly, I've noticed a few threads about people asking about the chances of receiving an upgrade to business class, however, seeing that this is from business to first I thought I'd ask again (currently the cabin in first class is about 1/5 booked). Because I'd have to purchase these extra points at the risk of not actually being upgraded. (I am currently a bronze FF, but will be gold after my upcoming travels). My main concern is that potentially even if there are spots available for upgrade, potentially a gold/platinum member will request an upgrade and obviously they will have priority over me.

Cheers!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:21 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by mflyer100
Firstly, under the current situation I will have enough points for this upgrade after I actually complete the flight, therefore I was wondering if Qantas offers the possibility of having this upgrade go through and then the remaining points being deducted from the points I am meant to receive for the actual flight.
No.

Originally Posted by mflyer100
Secondly, I've noticed a few threads about people asking about the chances of receiving an upgrade to business class, however, seeing that this is from business to first I thought I'd ask again (currently the cabin in first class is about 1/5 booked). Because I'd have to purchase these extra points at the risk of not actually being upgraded. (I am currently a bronze FF, but will be gold after my upcoming travels). My main concern is that potentially even if there are spots available for upgrade, potentially a gold/platinum member will request an upgrade and obviously they will have priority over me.
Your chance is between 0 and 100% inclusive. How have you determined that F is 1/5 booked? The seat map is not a good way to determine the booked load. If it is 1/5 booked today and the flight is tomorrow then your chance is reasonable, but depends on how many other passengers have requested an upgrade and their status. If F is full then obviously your chance is zero.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:19 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
And dont forget that QF staff and related can be shoved into F. How this is prioritised against regular pax is anybodies guess. In other words, empty seats may magically be filled before any upgrade lottery results - or even be taken by last minute (literally) revenue pax.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi mflyer100,

There is always the option to purchase the 8,000 points as top-up points https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump18

DXB-MEL J to F upgrade is 56,500
DXB-MEL Flex J to F upgrade is 45,000
- so both below the 20% cap on Top Up purchases.

Regards,

BD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.