Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

16th Annual AGM + Tour(s) (TBC): SYD Sat 24 Feb 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JohnSydney2000
Attendees:

Qantas Staff:

PLATINUM:
1. QF WP
2. Princess fiona
5. SQ421
6. og
7. BundyBear
8. doug_westcott
9. caviack
10. Storyteller
11. serfty
12. anat0l
13. jojen
14. PeteJ
15. Hvr
16. tuapekastar
17. crankychick
18. mattm199
19. madrooster
20. Danny1501
21. JessicaTam
22. moa999

23. Bluesky
24. kpc
25. kpc+1
28. kirkwoodj
29. gwilli1
31. LinaLee
33. windycityf
36. HB7
37. Bindibuys
38. Bindibuys +1
39. Sydney 1K
40. Sydney 1K +1
41. alief
43. Thongy
44. jswong
45. makal_t
46. travellingsmithy

GOLD:
3. nlagalle
4. drewbles

26. shansta
27. shansta+1
30. perthite
34. TIMP
35. bhatnasx
42. JohnSydney2000

SILVER:
32. JohnK

Copper
Reserved

BRONZE :
MrsBurrill
wtcmor
Mr_Tudball
SueOz
wijomas
KiwiFlyer
pbl22
RichardMEL
samh004
chicka
penegal
mrjojen
itsalongwaydown

d00t
Aus_Mal
Danny1501+1

Saturday QF SYD dom J lounge guesting list:

0730 tuapekastar - guesting Bundy Bear
0730 tuapekastar - guesting anat0l
0925 Hvr - guesting LinaLee
0925 Hvr - guesting serfty
1025 JessicaTam - guesting BindiBuys
1025 JessicaTam - guesting BindiBuys +1
1055 nlagalle - madrooster
1055 nlagalle - perthite
El_rooto - (are you arriving Sat a.m.?)
El_rooto -
1205 SQ421 - guesting kirkwoodj
jswong - guesting og
jswong - guesting
1600 JohnSydney2000 in FT corner

Need guesting:
Print Wikipost

16th Annual AGM + Tour(s) (TBC): SYD Sat 24 Feb 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Just thinking some lunch plans
2 ideas meet at the Hyatt Regency where we had dinner last night around 12pm
go for a walk to Barangaroo which isn’t far

Or take light rail to Tramsheds which will have some eating options.

Now to to round up some interest
I have only just finished breakfast!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Well at least I got to QF HQ in time for the Q&A and a personal Tour with Steve and Red Roo - what an amazing place and soooo thankful to Red Roo for all the personal time she put in to get this done. I was merely the bystander herding cats and their ID’s.

one important point - can everybody who went on the Tour please post their experiences about the Tour on this thread - Red Roo would like feedback for her Team.
I’m not sure how to trump this - in fact, I’m pretty sure I can’t.

Thanks to Storyteller for her prowess in organizing the Hyatt Regency dinner, by that stage I was exhausted. Fantastic to see all my existing FT friends and meet others from far away that now call SYD home. Kirkwoodj and others, I will see you in Noosa.

Shared an Uber back to HI Potts Point with Bundy Bear and Hvr. Had breakfast with Bundy Bear this morning and then got 3 productive hours of work done. On train heading to the airport now, so will look out for mattm199 in the J Lounge.
Storyteller, mattm199, Hvr and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:44 pm

here are some pics from yesterday.. Amazing to see the "behind the scenes" and also understand how customer focused the operation is. You don't often see that side of it..

mmmm would have loved a ride in a Qantas Concorde!!

something about a delayed flight out of BNE.. surely no one from FT was on that flight??

Des the wonder dog...

Last edited by nlagalle; Feb 25, 2018 at 2:02 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:44 pm

QF WP, if you hadn't started this off in the first place it would never have happened. Regardless of how you are downplaying your role. ^

The tour of the IOC was stunning. Having an emergency services background it was fascinating to see the parallels to our own emergency management. I don't know how Red Roo pulled it off, but to have access to essentially the inner sanctum of inner sanctums of QF was unforgettable.

A special thanks as well to Steve for putting up with my more specific questions about their systems.

So QF WP, how are you topping this one next year?
Storyteller, Hvr, PeteJ and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Was great to chat with QF WP in the J lounge, and watch some aircraft movements on the field.
Just on a jam packed QF 530 waiting to head into the clouds and back to Brisbane.
Safe travels to all and until the next gathering.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I can only repeat earlier positive remarks about the excellent tour through the inner workings of QF operations. A big thankyou to everyone - especially the QF staff who put up with 2 groups of FTers wandering through their workplace without showing any discomfort with us looking over their shoulders. BUT, my “big take-away” was how the new building was fitted out in such a staff - friendly manner. Plenty of “escape” areas for quiet times or meeting space, good use of exterior light, open planning, making top management more visible to staff (e.g. the Board Room visible from the open area below), a carefully considered social environment and so on. Such a change to the old “ivory tower” management approach of the 20th century. The way it was presented to us makes QF an “employer of choice”.
serfty, Storyteller, Hvr and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:35 pm

For those with flights later today, QF are moving pax forward due to the weather closing in. I am now on QF451 at 1715.

Seeing the IOC in action!
serfty, Storyteller and mattm199 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: QFF
Well Done all the organisers. It was an absolute fabulous tour with a lot of hours put in to make it happen
Storyteller likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: QFF, VA, SQ
Although we did not make it onto the tour, it was a lovely weekend catching up with familiar faces and meeting new. Thankyou Storyteller for organising the yummy dinner & QF WP for the overall weekend.
Storyteller and LinaLee like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
For those with flights later today, QF are moving pax forward due to the weather closing in. I am now on QF451 at 1715.

Seeing the IOC in action!
They just made an announcement in the lounge for any PAX going to MEL that "if they would like to go on an earlier flight" ... I'm 4C with a blocked 4B ... staying where I am ...
Storyteller and JessicaTam like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
After saying goodbye to mattm199, I had noticed a work colleague in the Lounge so I was chatting to her when I saw another AFF’er/FT’er - some here will know him, as he attended a previous AGM - beardoc. It really is a small world. He knew about our event but hadn’t posted here as he had a previous engagement.
Storyteller likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Many thanks to QF - that's HQ, RedRoo, our tour guides, Staff of the Inner Sanctum, & QJ J Lounge SYD; QF WP, & Hyatt Regency SYD, and, all attendees to all the various gatherings through the day..

Wasn't it all just great?!!

The multidimentional complexities of the IOC are mind boggling! And their Staff must be so skilled & systems integrated to do this work!

As a Customer who has had my share of Irrops, it was insightful & reassuring to see what goes on in the background. So very many things get triggered with Irrops !!
Not that they would remember my name, but it would be interesting to know how many desks there, and Staff would have had my name cross their screens over 23 years of hard flying & maybe over 200 return trips to the US!!

Also, thanks to everyone who was able to come along to my Flying Friends AGM 2018 dinner at the Hyatt Regency SYD.
Not many empty plates after each course, and those who partook of the beverage package seemed to not need to order extra after the package finished. Will do better with the non alcoholic selections next time...

Maybe we can do it all again another time?
og, QF WP, mattm199 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Thanks to QF WP for starting this years event, amazing; wasn't sure how you were going to top previous years.
Thanks very much to Red Roo who was able to make contact with the relevant people so that we could get a tour of the QF HQ, and especially the IOC, which really is the most important part of the Qantas operation and to think a group of 10 of us were standing right in the middle of the room being able to see the different parts that make Qantas come together.
It was also good to note how Qantas think of the customer and making sure to protect the Qantas brand. Qantas do put a lot of effort into making a very good experience for the customer.
Thanks to the Qantas Sydney business lounge staff for allowing us to use the lounge before and after the tour, who brought around some snacks and even provided us with coffee and n the afternoon wine or beer.
Thanks to Storyteller for organizing the dinner at the Hyatt on the Saturday night, made for a very full Saturday.
Good to catch up with everyone, those on the tour, those I met during dinner and those that didn't make the cut, but who I chatted to during the weekend.
Good to catch up with a few others for lunch today.
Special thanks to those who guested me in the lounge at different times during the weekend, serfty, Johnk, Petej, SQ421, those that I shared transport with during the weekend.
Thanks to nlagalle for posting the photos.
QF WP likes this.

Last edited by Bundy Bear; Feb 25, 2018 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: KrisFlyer QPPS, Enrich Silver, QF WP
Thanks QF WP and Storyteller for pulling everything together even if I did not make the cut for the tour but had a good time getting to know better, individually fellow flyertalk members and catchup with those I know from before.

Thanks also to to those who took the time to share and post your pics, it was as good as being there.

Thanks HVR and JessicaTam for guesting me to the J lounge. Thoroughly spoilt now and not looking forward to slumming it in the QClub instead 😳.

Lets see see how my work life goes but hope to catchup with all again if the opportunity presents itself.
QF WP, mattm199, Hvr and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum
Thanks QF HO, the previous Red Roo, QF WP, Storyteller and everyone who attended at some during the day/evening - a great time. We have all seen the marketing words as to how QF cares about its customers and on the other hand complaints from passengers when things go wrong but, having seen what really goes on behind the screens, I am very impressed at how things work in “real life”. Well done QF, you have given me new confidence that everything is being done to look after the customer.
QF WP likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.