Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas First Lounge Access in Sydney on Cathay

Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

Hello,

Booked an award flight from Sydney to Hong Kong in business class, connecting to LAX in first class. Since Cathay doesn't offer first class to Hong Kong from Sydney, can I access the Qantas first class lounge on this mixed cabin itinerary?

Thank you for the help
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:57 pm

As long as your next onward flight is in first class then you can access the first class lounge in Sydney.

If you are a OneWorld Emerald you can also access the first class lounge.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You cannot use the 1st class lounges in Hong Kong, but you can use the 1st class lounge in Sydney
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You cannot use the 1st class lounges in Hong Kong, but you can use the 1st class lounge in Sydney
I think it is the other way around.

nj1015 is flying business class HKG-SYD, so business class lounge access at SYD, and then first class HKG-LAX, so first class lounge access at HKG.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think it is the other way around.

nj1015 is flying business class HKG-SYD, so business class lounge access at SYD, and then first class HKG-LAX, so first class lounge access at HKG.
Ya - I misread it

before the business class flight from Sydney, there is business class lounge access
before the 1st class flight from Hong Kong, can use the 1st class lounges of Qantas and Cathay Pacific

There is no 1st class lounge access before the business class flight
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:00 am

You won't based on OneWorld rules. I thought I saw someone received a F lounge invite by CX in SYD but without that no. If you were doing the reverse flights you would be granted F lounge access in HKG by CX.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:40 pm

Doesn't OneWorld lounge access go by the long(er)haul flight? Based on this, the HKG-LAX segment should take priority and allow access to the F lounge. Doing this same itinerary today.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Doesn't OneWorld lounge access go by the long(er)haul flight? Based on this, the HKG-LAX segment should take priority and allow access to the F lounge. Doing this same itinerary today.
No - See https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access#tier

Originally Posted by OW
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
SYD-HKG is longer than 5 hours , so therefore there is no entitlement to 1st class lounge access
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No - See https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access#tier

SYD-HKG is longer than 5 hours , so therefore there is no entitlement to 1st class lounge access
OW rules is different to CX rules.

My experience with CX connecting flights, the highest cabin class apples for all sector with connection less than 24 hours.
i.e. SYD-HKG-PVG-HKG-LAX , you only need the short HKG-PVG leg to be flying in F, you will have F lounge invitation printed automatically for all sectors. It is a CX thing, nothing to do with OW rules
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
OW rules is different to CX rules.

My experience with CX connecting flights, the highest cabin class apples for all sector with connection less than 24 hours.
i.e. SYD-HKG-PVG-HKG-LAX , you only need the short HKG-PVG leg to be flying in F, you will have F lounge invitation printed automatically for all sectors. It is a CX thing, nothing to do with OW rules
Not my experience with CX - travelling business from Sydney to Hong Kong to London - only 1st class lounge access based on class of service was in Hong Kong

If someone has OW Emerald status , then access based on status would be available
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:50 pm

Well here's a data point as someone with no status. Not sure if I got lucky or if this is CX policy.

The lounge attendants told me the lounge invitation slip is all that matters. (I lost my lounge invitation probably at security, so the J lounge staff wouldn't even let me into the J lounge despite a J boarding pass.)

Both F and J lounge staff also said access is solely based on the SYD departing flight regardless of connections or duration, with the exception of an incoming longhaul connecting to a domestic flight (who wouldn't have access to the Int'l terminal, so not sure how that would work).

I showed the J lounge staff the OW policy above, and after some hand-wringing she said the policy was confusing and called CX. The CX rep said given my longer connecting F flight, I can access the F lounge.

Interestingly after hanging up with CX, the QF attendant said I cannot access the J lounge once I enter the F lounge. (I think she was wrong again, but I didn't want to push it given how pissed she was for having to call.)

Conclusion: YMMV
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Conclusion: YMMV
No ...

Conclusion: Don't lose your Lounge invitation/slip.
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Correct.
Even as QF Plat I was told this by the CX staff.

I assume without the slip that CX won't pay QF (and I believe that operating carrier always pays in oneworld)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
I often transit in SYD (QF to CX). They can't issue me a lounge invitation in WLG for some reason, but I'm always allowed into the QF First Lounge showing my CX Emerald card. The people at the front desk take down the Marco Polo number and flight details at the reception desk. (I have also had CX tickets issued in the lounge, or more likely brought to the lounge by CX).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:09 pm

Well yes that too, but in terms of J to F on CX accessing J or F lounge, seems YMMV depending on whether the J lounge is willing to call CX and if the CX rep is willing to authorize you to get into the F lounge.

Originally Posted by serfty
No ...

Conclusion: Don't lose your Lounge invitation/slip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.