Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrading 001 (AA) ticket with QF points

Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT

Does anyone have any experience upgrading a QF marketed/operated flight that was plated by AA? I would like to upgrade a SYD-PER flight (which has space available) using 20K QF points, but am concerned that QF may have issues if AA issues the ticket. I'm flying AA over the water and would like it all one one ticket in case of a misconnect. Will QF be willing to do this?

If so, when they process the upgrade, do they reissue the ticket to their own ticket stock? What happens if AA takes it back to, say, process an SWU? I know that different OW airlines have different processes for upgrading inter-line tickets, but have never tried it with QF and want to make sure I handle this correctly so I don't end up with a half-upgraded ticket...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have done this for my wife and I with an 001- ticketed LONE4; although it was a few years ago.

Used 192K Qantas points (96K each) to upgrade SYD-JFK to Business class.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
I have done this for my wife and I one with an 001- ticketed LONE4; although it was a few years ago.

Used 192K Qantas points (96K each) to upgrade SYD-JFK to Business class.
WOW that's a ton of points to drop--seems like it might have almost been worth it to spring for a J-class RTW Ticket!

Thanks for letting me know it can be done. Do you recall if QF reissued it to their stock?

Also, don't suppose you upgraded any other segments with other airlines? My great fear is I confirm the QF upgrade (it's available now and I have no status, so I need to snag it before it disappears) but then have AA tell me they can't process the waitlist SWU when it clears since the ticket was taken over by QF...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Worst case AA can take the ticket back from QF if it happens, I've done it many times with BA/AA (switching between AA & BA flights TATL) and drama free (at least for EXP).
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Worst case AA can take the ticket back from QF if it happens, I've done it many times with BA/AA (switching between AA & BA flights TATL) and drama free (at least for EXP).
Yeah, I've done with BA myself. Not sure I'd call it drama free, but I agree, AA can take over BA stock. Just hoping for confirmation they can do it with QF. I would call and ask, except the answer I got would be worthless---hard-learned lesson from the BA experience.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus
WOW that's a ton of points to drop--seems like it might have almost been worth it to spring for a J-class RTW Ticket!.
Welcome to QF world of points redemption. Look at post 330 here
Could you get an QF business award flight SYD-PER on AA miles? But if you have QF points better to use them.
There are better ffp's than QF.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Welcome to QF world of points redemption. Look at post 330 here
Could you get an QF business award flight SYD-PER on AA miles? But if you have QF points better to use them.
There are better ffp's than QF.
if there is a cost saving on the fare, that could be a good option subject though to the risks associated with making separate bookings
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: QFF
Have upgraded QF coded QF operated flights on 001, 081 and 160 tickets.
QF didn't take over and reissue the AA (001) or CX (160) as QF 081 tickets. Never had any issues.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Tickets stayed 001- ... I also upgraded some AA segments of the LONE4 with AAdvantage Miles and others with gifted SWU's.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Trigger pulled using the online upgrade request form. I was surprised that the upgrade didn't clear automatically, however: ExpertFlyer said there was U space, but the segment just shows up as upgrade requested on the QF site. Hopefully it just takes a little while to process, as I'll never clear a waitlist without status.

Is this normal?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Thanks for all the advice. Trigger pulled using the online upgrade request form. I was surprised that the upgrade didn't clear automatically, however: ExpertFlyer said there was U space, but the segment just shows up as upgrade requested on the QF site. Hopefully it just takes a little while to process, as I'll never clear a waitlist without status.

Is this normal?
Yes it's normal, but you'll need to call QF and get them to clear it manually. For some reason, if you have a combined DOM/INT itinerary then the QF system waitlists the DOM upgrade and treats them as an INT upgrade request even if U class is available. Just call QF and ask them to clear it and the agent should be able to do it there and then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.