Search

QF or CX SYD-HKG in J?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP
QF or CX SYD-HKG in J?

Hi all

I have a weekend trip to Hong Kong coming up, not sure who to book. QF WP and have requalified for next year so the status credits aren't an issue. In terms of hard and soft product would people recommend CX over the QF A330 flight with the new business seats? CX would be a novelty for me which is a bonus, on the other hand somewhat more expensive for the days I'm looking at so would need to be a fair bit better to justify it.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF with new seats is broadly equivalent to CX and has better meals & wine. CX J is a shadow of what it was in past years, they've really gutted the "medium haul" service which includes SYD. CX used to be much better but now I would pick QF personally.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
one and only advantage of CX is midnight flight 138 ex syd so u sleep and arrive which is great time saver. time is money. i hate CX but this is huge plus for work related travel.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
CX have thicker hot towels - but these are not available in the toilets. QF have wafer thin hot towels but these are also available in the toilets.

QF are remarkably inconsistent on issue of hot towels in the cabin - it may or may not happen and at variable times. Its more predictable with CX.

QF seem to take longer to do a meal service than CX. QF will wake you earlier prior to landing in SYD for breakfast.

Unless QF have changed, they don't do a bar run (or 2) after HKG departure prior to dinner - its all done at the same time. This sucks.

There's not much difference between the CX and QF seat.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I would say if you want to sleep quickly then CX. They are less likely to disturb you while serving others and get the service done faster.

If you want to stay up and enjoy meals and drink then QF as the quality is better.

QF does do the breakfast card on overnight flights so you can say that you don't want to be woken for breakfast if you are sleeping.

To add: you mention that CX would have to be a fair bit better to be worth the fare. In that case QF is probably your choice.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP
Thanks all! Very helpful, as always. I don't need to go right to sleep so Qantas it is I think, and I'll save the cash to spend at the other end... and try Cathay another day
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
CX 4x daily, QF 2x ( but one next to another, terrible schedule).

Hard and soft product is kind of similar, CX has a way better schedule to suit your need.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GO, CX SL
I flew QF new business class recently and was impressed by the food and wine. The suite though did feel a little cramped for my liking compared to the cirrus seat on CX. And yes, the schedule comes into play as well for me.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
New QF over CX anyday for me. More privacy, better catering. CX has frequency, but QF is more comfortable, better IFE.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:07 pm

I've flown the new QF A330 J suite two times overnight and twice as day flights, and had a Cirrus seat on CX as an intra-Asia flight, which was only daytime. What I liked about the QF suite is it's facing forward. I didn't like the angled seats at all. Food-wise, I couldn't fault Qantas at all. Plus they kept plying with booze all the time I was awake - except for the morning, of course!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
1st or 2nd generation Skybeds?

Hi all,

Family will be flying QF J from HKG to SYD and from HKG to MEL. How do we know if we will be getting the 1st or 2nd generation Skybeds? The flights are quite a bit out (August 2017) and will be on the 744s. Which type (non-reconfigured or reconfigured 744s) do they normally use on these services? If it turns out that non-reconfigured 744s are being used, any ideas as to whether they will be reconfigured by the time we fly on them?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Mostly 2nd gen but your chances are 2 out of 11 of getting 1st gen.

The 2 remaining planes (VH-OEB and VH-OJM) are not getting refurbed. They're often on SYD-HND or SYD-JNB but have done some SYD-HKG of late.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
Hi all,

Family will be flying QF J from HKG to SYD and from HKG to MEL. How do we know if we will be getting the 1st or 2nd generation Skybeds? The flights are quite a bit out (August 2017) and will be on the 744s. Which type (non-reconfigured or reconfigured 744s) do they normally use on these services? If it turns out that non-reconfigured 744s are being used, any ideas as to whether they will be reconfigured by the time we fly on them?

Thank you in advance.
If there's no row 4 then you have Skybed MK2.

If there is a row 4 then you have the old Qantas lay Flat First Class seats being sold as J (in rows 1-4) and Skybed MK1 in rows 11-26.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Mostly 2nd gen but your chances are 2 out of 11 of getting 1st gen.

The 2 remaining planes (VH-OEB and VH-OJM) are not getting refurbed. They're often on SYD-HND or SYD-JNB but have done some SYD-HKG of late.
Originally Posted by serfty
If there's no row 4 then you have Skybed MK2.

If there is a row 4 then you have the old Qantas lay Flat First Class seats being sold as J (in rows 1-4) and Skybed MK1 in rows 11-26.
Thanks JClasstraveller and serfty.

Will give them a call and get seats allocated (not a big fan of the centre seats).

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.