FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   747 Business Class. Which seat to choose? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1803310-747-business-class-seat-choose.html)

wb1969 Nov 19, 2016 7:16 am

747 Business Class. Which seat to choose?

Flying solo from HKG-SYD in Business and have the choice 5b, 5j or row 15 upstairs. As I'm only a leisure traveller and anything other than economy is a real treat, I want to make the most of this flight. I've never been on the upper deck.

Which seat should I choose?

og Nov 19, 2016 8:51 am

Nothing wrong with leisure travel - you mix with others only travelling for business!

I prefer Zone A if a refurb aircraft. 2 A or 2 K are my favourites. Otherwise row 16 would be good ( its gets more noisy further forward on the UD ). Avoid zone B seating - crowded, hot and noisy.

moa999 Nov 19, 2016 4:46 pm

As a window seat fan , I'd be upper deck all the way, if only for the side bins.
If you're used to economy, anything will be a great seat.

If you end up with the older aircraft (OEB/OJM), the old First seats are the pick

ButFli Nov 19, 2016 7:48 pm

What is the aisle access like for window seats on the upper deck? Does the passenger next to you need to stand up to let you out? Or is there enough room to climb around/over them?

og Nov 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by ButFli (Post 27503378)
What is the aisle access like for window seats on the upper deck? Does the passenger next to you need to stand up to let you out? Or is there enough room to climb around/over them?

Plenty of room. But if the aisle pax is horizontal, then you have to step over their legs - but the seat infront (except for row 11 and exit row) has a grab handle that makes it easy to support yourself as you manouver yourself. The low overhead lockers pose a "head strike" risk if you are over anout 170 cm.

Carry on luggage can be a problem on the UD. Any bag that is even slightly over the regulation size (ie too fat) wont fit in the overheads. It may end up downstairs (TG regularly block off a section of their downstairs lockers for UD bags). The side lockers (at windows) are thinner than the regulation carry on size and usually end up holding only blankets, mattress covers and blankets.

UD has best toilet to pax ratio.

wb1969 Nov 20, 2016 12:40 am

Whilst tempted by the upper deck as opportunities are very rare, I really like the look of the solo seats 5b/j. Loads of room and no risk of having to make small talk with someone next to me.

serfty Nov 20, 2016 1:42 pm

If in your circumstance, 5B/J would be my choice - but I have travelled in the upper deck before.

If you would like to try the upper deck then 15A or 15K. 5'10" or taller and reasonably limber should have no issue climbing over the aisle seat mate.

Cedar Jet Nov 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Sit in the nose.....least traffic and the quietest cabin in the AC. The solo seats in row 5 are too loud with AC units above albeit fantastic for personal space. If you can get a window seat in the nose say 2A or opposite side and seat free beside you I'd consider that the ultimate situation. Of course if you score the old F cabin (non-refurbished 744) Row 1 or 3 window are ace. Row 1 for ultimate privacy and row 3 for most space around the seat.

Upper deck 744, row 14 exit row in any seat. Second choice would be row 15 in a window seat with seat free beside you. Front of upper deck(row 11 & 12)is slightly noisier; rear upper deck (16/17) noisy with due to galley clatter, they do try to be as quiet as possible but it's inevitable they make noise at meal preparation times.

geezersrule Feb 6, 2018 9:54 am

we are currently in 15A & 15B on QF73 SYD-SFO. satisfied with the seats but have another question about the aircraft configuration. is there one or are there two toilets on the upper level?

DH188 Feb 6, 2018 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by geezersrule (Post 29386028)
we are currently in 15A & 15B on QF73 SYD-SFO. satisfied with the seats but have another question about the aircraft configuration. is there one or are there two toilets on the upper level?

Just one toilet upstairs, unless you happen to be on the single remaining aircraft with the old style sloping seats, which still has two.
In which case you might be better off trying for the old F section (sold as business) downstairs.

og Feb 7, 2018 12:20 am

Originally Posted by DH188 (Post 29388176)
Just one toilet upstairs, unless you happen to be on the single remaining aircraft with the old style sloping seats, which still has two.
In which case you might be better off trying for the old F section (sold as business) downstairs.

AFAIK, the crew infront of the locked door have the other UD toilet (otherwise they have something that emulates the sound of a flushing toulet). Fly on a TG 744 if you want a UD seat in a cabin with 2 toilets.

DH188 Feb 7, 2018 2:03 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 29388728)

AFAIK, the crew infront of the locked door have the other UD toilet (otherwise they have something that emulates the sound of a flushing toulet). Fly on a TG 744 if you want a UD seat in a cabin with 2 toilets.

VH-OEB - Three toilets upstairs with, as you've noted, one at the front exclusively for the flight crew. (Not the one with the baby change facilities :))
The rest of the fleet had the rear toilet removed.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...484bd6a239.jpg