Super Crappy JetStar Experience

Old Nov 6, 16, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Super Crappy JetStar Experience

From what I can tell, this is a dime a dozen - but I just wanted to relate my experiences with JetStar recently as a warning to others.

I was in Rarotonga for my honeymoon and was booked to head to AKL from RAR on JetStar at 7am. We had plans for the day and a limited amount of time in New Zealand so our tolerance for delays was up to about 3-4 hours. Any more and we would have to skip most of the city and miss a dinner reservation and generally sit around the RAR airport - which has few services and we already did the "sit around RAR for a connecting flight" on our way in (We were ready for something new).

The flight was booked originally for 00:15. It was rescheduled to 6:15. Then to 7:15. That already caused us to have to book an additional hotel night, but we bit the bullet and did it.

On the night of, we went to bed at 10pm. All information said that it was go on time. We woke up at 3am, dutifully headed to the airport and found out that the flight had been delayed until 5pm. We got zero support from them, zero compensation, and zero information from them prior to getting to the airport by email or otherwise. The cause was due to crew issues, so it was something completely within their control.

Unfortunately, a 10 hour delay wasn't acceptable and we rebooked on NZ departing within an hour for an extra $800. RAR doesn't have that many flights off the island, so we were pretty screwed - and JetStar didn't make it right afterward. We were lucky we didn't have any connections because this delay was way outside something that we would normally account for.

Don't fly them.
Old Nov 7, 16, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Hope you have travel insurance.
Old Nov 7, 16, 6:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

This thread has been moved to the Qantas forum which is where JetStar topics are generally discussed.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 7, 16, 6:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Welcome to JetStar. Have low expectations, and you might be pleasantly surprised. (Sadly)
Old Nov 7, 16, 2:11 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Sorry to hear of your experience SeattleFlyerGuy and I hope that you do not remember your Rarotonga honeymoon as just this poor JQ experience, in fact try to forget about it altogether.
I too had a bad airline experience on my honeymoon, TG, I wrote in a complaint and received a reply that blamed everything on the GFC and that it was not under the control of the airline. I never flew with them again but will remember the wonderful time we had in Morocco, Spain and S.E.A..
JQ is a LCC and I would never expect to hear from them with offers of compensation or help with extra costs. It is just not worth the aggravation or the need to make a point as they will never change their ways.
Old Nov 7, 16, 7:11 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
That's what happens when you get thrifty in you own honeymoon planning... Would never ever use LCC!!!
Old Nov 7, 16, 7:27 pm
Suspended

That's a bit harsh

Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
That's what happens when you get thrifty in you own honeymoon planning... Would never ever use LCC!!!
Even the most budget of carriers (i.e. Tiger) would not schedule a 10+ hour delay at the last minute.

I've had only good experiences (about half a dozen) with JetStar but I've heard when it goes wrong it goes really wrong.
Old Nov 7, 16, 8:19 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
OP, when did this happen? I am looking at flightradar24 history and cannot find JQ flight that would have STD 00:15 nor 07:15 recently. More details from you would be helpful to ascertain what happened.
Old Nov 8, 16, 2:59 am

!!!

Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy View Post
We got zero support from them, zero compensation, and zero information from them prior to getting to the airport by email or otherwise. The cause was due to crew issues, so it was something completely within their control. .
Please consider checking the customer guarantee:

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/customer-guarantee

You may feel your situation warrants chasing up with JQ on the basis of non compliance with the performance indicators defined therein.

However, they attempt to limit the compensation at $50 (I'm, not sure whether this is cumulative of each breach of the guarantee).

Perhaps better than nothing - assuming that they accept any liability if you didn't take the flight in the event.

IMHO the $50 limit may be interpreted as an attempt to defer more reasonable levels of compensation.
Old Nov 8, 16, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Recent stats on JQ130 indicate that it would be more than reasonable for a customer to expect to arrive in AKL without such a substantial delay:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...irportCode=AKL

To note one incident of substantial delay in the period (probably the 30 July flight).

Lucky you for having the cash and / or employer to be able to avoid a LCC.
Old Nov 8, 16, 4:43 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
I am not at all surprised by what Jetstar does anymore.
Have had them cancel a flignt on me at 4 hours notice, and I had to rush to buy another ticket with Qantas to get back to ADL for work.
The Jetstar flight I was booked on, the one that got cancelled was the last flight of the day with either Jetstar or Qantas.
Lucky I had the funds to pay for a replacement ticket.
There is a website for all the woes of Jetstar called (Don't Fly Jetstar).
Old Nov 8, 16, 5:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie View Post
I am not at all surprised by what Jetstar does anymore.
Have had them cancel a flignt on me at 4 hours notice, and I had to rush to buy another ticket with Qantas to get back to ADL for work.
The Jetstar flight I was booked on, the one that got cancelled was the last flight of the day with either Jetstar or Qantas.
Lucky I had the funds to pay for a replacement ticket.
There is a website for all the woes of Jetstar called (Don't Fly Jetstar).
Getting back to the OPs issue, if international and on separate tickets then I always try to have >24 hrs for connections. Even more so on a thin route such as RAR.
Old Nov 8, 16, 12:57 pm

The flight was booked originally for 00:15....found out that the flight had been delayed until 5pm.
Seems like a 17-hour delay, not just 10 !

Just curious if you had signed up for text/phone alerts in advance so you could have slept in if they at least warned you of that final delay.
Old Nov 8, 16, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Seems like a 17-hour delay, not just 10 !

Just curious if you had signed up for text/phone alerts in advance so you could have slept in if they at least warned you of that final delay.
It doesn't sound like it

It reads that the flight was originally booked for a departure at 00:15 but that there were schedule changes that changed its scheduled departure time to 06:15 and 07:15

It reads that from that, the delay on day of departure was until 17:00 which makes it a 10 hour delay
Old Nov 11, 16, 6:37 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum One, Hilton Honors Diamond, Oneworld Emerald
Don't fly them.
I don't. And won't.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: