Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

AA status run opportunities for QF status credits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

There is discussion on the BAEC thread on the impact of forthcoming cabin code changes on accruing BA tier points through AA flights:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ed-tps-17.html

AA is to assign a business class coding to first class cabin sectors flown in the case of two-cabin aircraft.

Presumably this will also affect our ability to accrue QF status credits easily and cheaply on the AA network with regard to status run. Sectors which currently count as first for QF credits will soon count only as business.

This on top of the previous move by AA to charge on a per sector basis for multi-stop bookings adding to the loss of opportunity for cheap QF status accrual on AA.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It may impact cheap status earning, but it should also mean that domestic flights will be charged as business class for award basis. Rather than having to travel in economy on a domestic leg within US, will be able to use the 1st class cabin on a business award

Assuming this occurs, I would class the change as a positive overall
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It may impact cheap status earning, but it should also mean that domestic flights will be charged as business class for award basis. Rather than having to travel in economy on a domestic leg within US, will be able to use the 1st class cabin on a business award

Good point, Dave.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Only so long as status accrual is not part of the equation. This is FT after all
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:55 am

I think that the benefit to many people of better value redemptions is better than a few people being able to scam cheap status

( assuming that AA realigns Z to U for domestic US travel )
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I think that the benefit to many people of better value redemptions is better than a few people being able to scam cheap status

( assuming that AA realigns Z to U for domestic US travel )
Why is it a scam to earn status credits flying flights that earn you status credits?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:42 pm

It is a scam in that anywhere else it will be business class
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

It is a scam in that anywhere else it will be business class
So, in reality the real "scam" is that AA has been defining a product as first class for purposes of product marketing over a period of many years whilst delivering a substandard (business class) product?! And charging top dollar.

Most QF flyers can't easily take advantage of AA status runs without also paying for the trans-Pacific fare, thus a hefty opportunity cost: so I'm not sure it would be fair to refer to AA status runs as a "scam" however you look at it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Platy
So, in reality the real "scam" is that AA has been defining a product as first class for purposes of product marketing over a period of many years whilst delivering a substandard (business class) product?! And charging top dollar.

Most QF flyers can't easily take advantage of AA status runs without also paying for the trans-Pacific fare, thus a hefty opportunity cost: so I'm not sure it would be fair to refer to AA status runs as a "scam" however you look at it.
well, yes - AA has been defining its cabin above economy as business class on any international sector ( e.g. US-Canada ) but 1st within the USA. It also prices the same as business class on routes where there is an option to travel non stop on a 3 class service

Where those travelling in what, anywhere else, would not be classed as 1st class ( and even AA doesn't call it 1st class internationally ) , I don't see that calling a status run deliberately taking advantage of this oddity a scam as being that unfair

AA's 1st class fares can be pretty cheap these days ; at one time they were expensive, but now a r/t from ORD-BOS , for example, is $455 yet earns 180 status credits; cheaper than Qantas charges for a flexible economy from SYD-MEL that earns 40 status credits
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Where those travelling in what, anywhere else, would not be classed as 1st class ( and even AA doesn't call it 1st class internationally ) , I don't see that calling a status run deliberately taking advantage of this oddity a scam as being that unfair

AA's 1st class fares can be pretty cheap these days ; at one time they were expensive, but now a r/t from ORD-BOS , for example, is $455 yet earns 180 status credits; cheaper than Qantas charges for a flexible economy from SYD-MEL that earns 40 status credits
If I fly from LA to the Caribbean on AA in first class because I want to go to the Caribbean and as a consequence earn a load of status credits I assume that is not a scam. I'm responding to AA marketing in the way they want me to. If I do the same thing in order to get the SCs to maintain my status then that becomes a scam? The logic of that escapes me.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

wI don't see that calling a status run deliberately taking advantage of this oddity a scam as being that unfair
Whilst accepting part of your position (smart travellers can get status relatively cheaply due to the definitions used by AA) , perhaps the word "scam" is a bit strong? It literally means the traveller is deliberately engaging in a dishonest scheme; a fraud; swindling the other party...which is not the case since the traveller is abiding by the rules set by the airline (however anomalous).

Some on FT are vocal when folk either don't follow the rules or expect the airline to bend the rules in certain circumstances: herein a case of abiding by the rules yet being judged dishonest. A little harsh perhaps?

Where do you draw the line - is flying the full 16 sector quota of a DONE4 a scam? What about buying extra flights during a double status credit offer? What about a status match to Avianca Brasil for Star Gold with no intention of ever using the airline? What about joining Virgin Accelerate to get Pilot Gold and easily get full Gold membership? What about linking hotel loyalty to airline loyalty?

All such opportunities offer faster track to airline status at less than the cost of status fully earned through purchasing actual tickets from the airline directly in Australia and all without cheating on the rules.

And what of diverting loyalty to AA once reaching QF Lifetime Gold and still expecting lounge access per QF Gold status?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
The schedule changes have gone through and reports now that AA two Class domestic F sectors are now showing on QF MMB as J for earning purposes.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
The schedule changes have gone through and reports now that AA two Class domestic F sectors are now showing on QF MMB as J for earning purposes.
And an award flight on the same city pairs/flight/segment? Has this changed?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And an award flight on the same city pairs/flight/segment? Has this changed?
Yes - AA is now using U for awards in 1st class on 2 class domestic services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.