FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Day trip to AKL - transit or check in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1797443-day-trip-akl-transit-check.html)

Platy Oct 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Day trip to AKL - transit or check in?

Please would someone advise...

I'm travelling BNE-AKL on a QF voucher (that I need to use up) in first class EK (on a QF flight number) and returning the same day.

I'm happy simply to sit in the lounge before the return flight AKL-BNE and not exit the secure area.

Can I simply transit within the airport at AKL or will I need to exit passport / custom. /quarantine and check in at the desk and go back through passport / security?

Thanks.

moa999 Oct 19, 2016 5:16 pm

So long as you can get a Boarding Pass for the return flight then you should be able to transit

Platy Oct 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 27368490)
So long as you can get a Boarding Pass for the return flight then you should be able to transit

Thanks, moa999. :cool:

serfty Oct 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 27368490)

OLCI should be an option (use the EK site.)

There are no ID checks to get to departures when using airside transit.

If no OLCI then you may be able to get the BP at the Qantas First lounge service desk or simply at the EK desk after passing through the transit area.

Check out both the EK and QF lounges.

(I presume no checked luggage ...)

Platy Oct 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 27368841)
OLCI should be an option (use the EK site.)

There are no ID checks to get to departures when using airside transit.

If no OLCI then you may be able to get the BP at the Qantas First lounge service desk or simply at the EK desk after passing through the transit area.

Check out both the EK and QF lounges.

(I presume no checked luggage ...)

Thanks, Serfty.

Yep - no baggage at all - neither cabin nor checked!

If time permits it'll be interesting to check out the new QF BNE international lounge.

I'm familiar with both the QF and EK lounges at AKL with a personal preference for the EK due to the more extensive food selection (except when it gets very busy just before the SYD, MEL, BNE flights and the QF first can be a quiet haven).

Kiwi Flyer Oct 20, 2016 2:17 am

EK lounge will be able to issue boarding pass (or failing that get it done while you are in the lounge and bring it to you).

m0hamed Oct 20, 2016 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Platy (Post 27368461)
Please would someone advise...

I'm travelling BNE-AKL on a QF voucher (that I need to use up) in first class EK (on a QF flight number) and returning the same day.

I'm happy simply to sit in the lounge before the return flight AKL-BNE and not exit the secure area.

Can I simply transit within the airport at AKL or will I need to exit passport / custom. /quarantine and check in at the desk and go back through passport / security?

Thanks.

Depending on the layover why not leave the airport?

We have flown EK F return and headed into AKL for lunch and come back to the airport for departure on the same day.

PaulST Oct 20, 2016 7:52 am

I've done a similar day trip to AKL at picked up both boarding passes at SYD when I arrived for my first flight. Enjoy EK F!

Platy Oct 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks, all, for the information.

shuuy Oct 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Having gone international-to-international at AKL, I've never been asked for a boarding pass at the international connections check-point.

So you could clear security, head to the EK lounge, and see what happens?

Ausriver May 18, 2017 6:13 am

I will have a very short turnaround at AKL, 1 hour 40 minutes. Return flight with QF, does QF allow us to self print boarding pass and board flight at AKL?

serfty May 18, 2017 4:08 pm

If no luggage and you can't OLCI for the ex AKL flight you should be able to check-in and get BP at the Qantas Lounge.

I am not sure if Qantas have any airside Transfer Desk presence.

og May 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 28330253)
If no luggage and you can't OLCI for the ex AKL flight you should be able to check-in and get BP at the Qantas Lounge.

I am not sure if Qantas have any airside Transfer Desk presence.

Ausriver did say "short connection" (100 min). This may be problematic if QF use a 90 min check in cut off. Don't know if QF do this for TT flights.

serfty May 18, 2017 5:07 pm

90 minutes with baggage for economy, 60 minutes for Business.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/checkin/global/en

OLCI should be available.

Again, the caveat is no checked luggage.

Ausriver May 18, 2017 6:48 pm

I will not be travelling with no luggage. Actually just my passport & wallet. I will be flying in on LA800, the fare was heavily discount and I took the flight because I can then guest my wife into QF F lounge before his CX flight to HKG.

The easiest way for me to come back is to take the 6pm QF148 flight back. If OLCI works, then 100 minutes seems enough time for a quick turn around. Otherwise i might need to fly back with Air New Zealand which I will not be able to access lounge or credit miles, and can't use any miles to redeem for the flight.