Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Day trip to AKL - transit or check in?

Day trip to AKL - transit or check in?

Old May 18, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

I seem to remember on my day trip turning right as signposted by the "transit" signage and passing through security with no queue and arriving at the lounge within 5 - 10 minutes of leaving the aircraft.

It couldn't have been quicker and easier!

But in that case there was a substantial layover and EK could print the outward and inbound boarding passes at departure check in.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I will not be travelling with no luggage. Actually just my passport & wallet. I will be flying in on LA800, the fare was heavily discount and I took the flight because I can then guest my wife into QF F lounge before his CX flight to HKG.

The easiest way for me to come back is to take the 6pm QF148 flight back. If OLCI works, then 100 minutes seems enough time for a quick turn around. Otherwise i might need to fly back with Air New Zealand which I will not be able to access lounge or credit miles, and can't use any miles to redeem for the flight.
That changes things. You aren't on the same aircraft or even same airline each way.

OLCI should work, but your biggest problem (especially if using separate tickets) is LA's poor on time reliability.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
90 minutes with baggage for economy, 60 minutes for Business.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/checkin/global/en

OLCI should be available.

Again, the caveat is no checked luggage.
I think the cut off time in Auckland is 60minutes rather than 90 minutes. I've done no luggage and checked luggage in economy definitely under 90 minutes and always had 60mins in my head. So has my dad who has no status with QF but checked in 5min prior to departure with luggage in Y - I was so angry he cut it so fine!

Air NZ also requests 90min check-in but in reality will do 60min cut off departing from AKL.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Thanks very much guys. As long as OLCI works, I believe I shall be able to catch the 6pm flight easy even if I landed around 5pm (which is 40 minutes late).

I have checked LA800 ontime performance for the last week and none of it arrived later than 4:30. If LA800 was really delayed before departure, I guess I might even drop the whole trip, I have guested my wife into QF F and had good breakfast with her. It wasn't really for mileage run, so it doesn't matter
Old May 20, 2017, 8:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Past experience is LA flight is either reasonably on time, or 2-4 hours late.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
OLCI should work, but your biggest problem (especially if using separate tickets) is LA's poor on time reliability.
IME LA's OTP is no worse now than NZ or QF on the trans-Tasman route now that the 789s have come on stream. It is a far cry from the days when the 343 plied the route.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Does the LA delay predictable? I mean often caused by delays from South America, isn't it?

I got my LA ticket at A$150 ($50 plus airport tax). The original idea was to try the airline, get a few miles credited, and guest my wife into QF F lounge to see her off.
I will use my not so useful QF miles to book the return flight, if I had to cancel, I will lose 5000 miles out of my memory.

So I guess If I could see the delay for inbound LA flight will cause me an overnight stay at AKL, which is totally a waste of time and money, my wife wouldn't mind if I cancel the trip. Not sure if LA would refund me the airport tax I paid though.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Does the LA delay predictable? I mean often caused by delays from South America, isn't it?
A few years ago when LA had 3x787s grounded in SCL and the airline was maximising use of their ageing 343s, delays happened frequently on the AKL/SYD run. The simple solution was that if the flight left SCL late, LA would stop it in AKL and not fly AKL-SYD-AKL. SYD-AKL pax were rebooked onto anything else - typically QF. IME I was once re-routed SYD-MEL-AKL and joined the LA flight (now with an on-time AKL-SCL departure. Handy for the SCs 'coz I was in Biz, but not a nice experience due to 2 cramped QF 738 flights then a race to get BPs in AKL before the check-in window closed.

Schedule reliability has dramatically improved with the 787s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.