Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar's 7 kg [NZ] carry-on limit: is it enforced? [Jetstar Group]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar's 7 kg [NZ] carry-on limit: is it enforced? [Jetstar Group]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Jetstar position them as one of the better budget airlines, they do not really enforce carry on luggage weight unless your bag looks oversized or heavy.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Jetstar position them as one of the better budget airlines, they do not really enforce carry on luggage weight unless your bag looks oversized or heavy.
I have seen JQ NZ domestic staff check the weight and size of bags at the gate. I have also seen NZ enforce the carry on weight limits to the extent that they had staff walk around the departure lounge with hand held scales checking passenger's bags if they looked heavy, either asked to distribute the extra amongst a party of passengers or told them they had to go back to the check in area to check it in.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Has anyone have any experience with Jetstar in Singapore with weighing luggage at the gate. Flying SIN-SGN and will transfer landside so will not see an agent in the check in lobby. Just curious if you have any experience.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Yes they will weigh it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by shuuy
Yes they will weigh it.
Thanks, when was the last time you had traveled Jetsar out of SIN. I have heard reports that they have not.. Is this an isolated instance? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks, when was the last time you had traveled Jetsar out of SIN. I have heard reports that they have not.. Is this an isolated instance? Thanks and Safe Travels
Between January 2012 and June 2015 I connected through Singapore a number of times on both Jetstar and Jetstar Asia (I was living in DRW at the time) and went to the Jetstar transfer desk to get a boarding card a number of times.

My bag was not weighed once (which was good because a number of times it was certainly over the limit). At the time I was travelling with a cheap canvasesque duffel bag (the type you'd take to the gym) - which I lugged around over my shoulder. I was always asked what luggage I had and the response 'ohhh just this [insert twist of the torso to show the bag on the back]' was universally met with no further questions.

That bag was absolutely brilliant - it looked insignificant but could carry a stack of (heavy) stuff. It never got questioned anywhere - even in boarding queues where most people's bags were being weighed.

I do recall once (it must have been February 2015) waiting quite a while to get to the front of the queue at the Jetstar transfer desk in SIN because there was a dispute about the weight of someone's roll-a-board. I didn't see the start of the dispute (so I'm not sure how it came about) - but I remember it distinctly because my inbound flight (on BA on a separate ticket) was late and I was running up against the checkin deadline for my flight to DRW - which I desperately needed to make as I had an important meeting in DRW the following morning (and the 3K flight was my only option). I must have looked at my watch a hundred times watching the minutes tick away whilst the issue of bag weight was being debated in front of me. I was on the verge of interrupting and offering to pay to make the dispute go away so as that I didn't miss my flight when the person in front of me stormed off in a huff.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
My carry on Topas weight 6.3kg.... I don't know what I can do with it if any airlines enforce weight limit for carry on.

maybe hand carry everything in several plastic bags and put them back into my carry on case once onboard.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I plan on flying Jetstar from Melbourne to Bangkok. I have a regular sized luggage I will check, a standard carry on rollerboard and a small backpack with laptop. No idea what the carryons will weigh, if I buy Starter Max should I be ok ?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:25 am

I recently flew between Singapore and Ho Chi Minh City our bags were not weighed in Singapore or in Ho Chi Minh City neither at Check in at Vietnam Nor at the Gate (we transferd in Singapore). However we did buy the extra baggage of 20 kg per each person I don't know if that was the reason but we both had 21 inch Travel pro roller boards
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, if I lived in a place with a ridiculous carry-on weight limit, I guess I'd buy an ultra-light weight one, too. But most carry-ons weigh about 5 kg. empty. Like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Exp...rry+on+luggage
That's the shipping weight. There must be two or three pounds of box in the weight on Amazon.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deeruck
That's the shipping weight. There must be two or three pounds of box in the weight on Amazon.
most carry on cases range from 2kg to 3 kg empty
most luggage shops have the empty weight (in kilos) and internal capacity (in litres)
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
from my experience, it really comes down to how much the staff really are bothered on that particular day and how busy the aircraft is
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
There is a rational reason - $$$ - for Jetstar !

Jetstar's carry-on allowance used to be 10kg, a but a couple of years ago they lowered it to 7kg "to align with other carriers". It was an "open secret" that this was to increase revenue.
Well, it can go both ways for the airline. Some people pay the extra baggage fees (either in advance or as a "surprise" at the airport), and other pax fly airlines with more reasonable carry-on bag restrictions. I just bought tickets on Scoot primarily because they allow 10 kg of carry-on baggage -- a limitation that an ordinary traveler can reasonably meet.
serfty likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, it can go both ways for the airline. Some people pay the extra baggage fees (either in advance or as a "surprise" at the airport), and other pax fly airlines with more reasonable carry-on bag restrictions. I just bought tickets on Scoot primarily because they allow 10 kg of carry-on baggage -- a limitation that an ordinary traveler can reasonably meet.
And yet their parent airline only permits 7kg. That's a little strange.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
And yet their parent airline only permits 7kg. That's a little strange.
Who is Scoots parent? Bangkok Airways only allows 5kg, my bag is about 3.5kg empty, but then they allow 30kg checked, that could be for logistical reasons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.