Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas schedule change - my options?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Qantas schedule change - my options?

Hi there, need some quick advice. For an upcoming return trip to Australia, I received notice of a schedule change for one of my connecting domestic UA flights on return in the US (LAX to SMF) booked as part of my Qantas ticket, making my connection through LAX tighter than previously scheduled. It still meets min connection time but, based on past experience, could be very tight. My ticket is a sale ticket booked through Qantas so typically no changes unless I pay $200 and fare difference.

There are several flight options with AA and UA from LAX to SMF later in the day. Given that the schedule change is caused by the airline, do I have any leverage to request a flight change without paying a change fee? Any strategy tips or ideas?

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
For connections that are within MCT then generally airlines will not change. FF status sometimes gives leverage. But MCT is usually sufficient to make the connection, and QF is rarely late arriving into LAX. 99% of the time your 'tight' connection will be fine.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:55 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
And if the worst happens and you miss your flight you'll be protected because you're on one ticket.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
There is always the option of pre-emptive schedule checking and choosing the preferred flights then phoning QF and putting it to them. Worst thing is that you hang up and walk away and have faith in the MCT and LAX staff to move you up the line if things are looking bad..
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If the change still meets MCT and means you will arrive earlier I don't see QF allowing a free change.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
For connections that are within MCT then generally airlines will not change. FF status sometimes gives leverage. But MCT is usually sufficient to make the connection, and QF is rarely late arriving into LAX. 99% of the time your 'tight' connection will be fine.
I disagree slightly only bc I have done this route and connection many times (have family in Australia) and although flight is seldom late into LAX, it has taken me from 20 min to 2 hrs to clear immigration and customs (no individual issues, just long lines), and the connection to UA is also worrying (having to make it from TBIT to T8 after reclearing security. On a good day can be done, but could have issues.

That said, I agree that my chances are not good with Qantas and I know I am "protected" - I was just hoping to preemptively avoid hassle. Maybe I'll just call for what it's worth. Hoping someone had some magic key words to suggest 😜
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond
It was a different airline, but when this happened to me with Delta through Atlanta (still within MCT but very tight) for a connection from International to domestic. I tweeted @Delta my concern. They asked for the confirmation number in a DM. I sent it with a suggestion of a later flight number. 2 minutes later they responded that they had made the change. It was amazingly simple. Not sure if QF is that responsive, but might be worth a try.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
It was a different airline, but when this happened to me with Delta through Atlanta (still within MCT but very tight) for a connection from International to domestic. I tweeted @Delta my concern. They asked for the confirmation number in a DM. I sent it with a suggestion of a later flight number. 2 minutes later they responded that they had made the change. It was amazingly simple. Not sure if QF is that responsive, but might be worth a try.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, they would not budge and said that trip still meets MCT. My impression is that for all their many shortcomings, US-based airlines tend to be more flexible in these matters.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:19 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
... Not sure if QF is that responsive, but might be worth a try.
It is up to UA not QF as it is within MCT; QF to QF would be no problem to change, esp. with QFF status equivalent to DM I've flown over million miles with DL and now avoid them like the plague due to various problems, so not sure using DL as the target responsive airline is the best choice Bottom line is cross-alliance connections generally mean no favours but only contractually required service, so going QF/UA is the problem and UA controls what happens. As for tight connections, I've made QF to UA within 30 min of landing, so it is possible but requires the stars to align (and have made QF to AA within 20 min but with concierge help). LAX isn't soooo bad of an airport if you know your way around.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, they would not budge and said that trip still meets MCT. My impression is that for all their many shortcomings, US-based airlines tend to be more flexible in these matters.
Given that it meets the MCT and just shortens the journey time, I cannot see why QF would change it. In the event that a misconnection occurs , the airline will rebook onto a later one.

Seems no benefit to changing and guaranteeing a longer journey time
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
It is up to UA not QF as it is within MCT; QF to QF would be no problem to change, esp. with QFF status equivalent to DM I've flown over million miles with DL and now avoid them like the plague due to various problems, so not sure using DL as the target responsive airline is the best choice Bottom line is cross-alliance connections generally mean no favours but only contractually required service, so going QF/UA is the problem and UA controls what happens. As for tight connections, I've made QF to UA within 30 min of landing, so it is possible but requires the stars to align (and have made QF to AA within 20 min but with concierge help). LAX isn't soooo bad of an airport if you know your way around.
Not sure why it is up to UA. Entire ticket purchased through QF, so QF could easily change the connection to one of the AA flights later that morning. Indeed, it gives me that option on its website, albeit at a change fee of $200.

I agree with you that LAX isn't too bad, except for: (1) if immigration/customs get clogged up and (2) the fact that UA terminals T7/T8 are much further out from TBIT than connecting AA flights. If everything works well, I should be fine, but what if....

I guess what makes me mad is that QF changed the connection time to being a lot less than what my personal comfort zone is to avoid potential hassle, and less than what was advertized when I bought the ticket. At that time, I had several later connecting options, but deemed a 2.5 hour connection sufficient. Now they change the schedule, but do not allow me to reconsider and get a later flight option. And yes, yes, it still meets MCT etc., but I think some flexibility would be a nice thing under these circumstances. It's not like I'm now trying to regret an earlier decision and just trying to get around the change fee.

Anyway, life will go on, and if things go wrong on the day, they'll just have to fix it.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that it meets the MCT and just shortens the journey time, I cannot see why QF would change it. In the event that a misconnection occurs , the airline will rebook onto a later one.

Seems no benefit to changing and guaranteeing a longer journey time
I completely see your point. But I'll just add my personal data point, which is that I've missed connecting flights out of LAX twice before that were scheduled exactly at the MCT. It doesn't take much for this to happen -- slightly late arrival, 1 hr line in customs, another long line at transfer desk, having to reclear security, etc. And in both cases, I did not get out of LAX until 6-7 hours later on next available flight. So, sometimes 20-30 min. can make a big difference.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:45 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
At that time, I had several later connecting options, but deemed a 2.5 hour connection sufficient. Now they change the schedule, but do not allow me to reconsider and get a later flight option.
What is your new connection time?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
What is your new connection time?
2hrs 10 min
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:40 pm

Purely anecdotal - I came through on Tuesday and was worried after my connection time was changed from 2h45m to 2h15m.

We landed at 0550, but couldn't exit the plane until 0600. They were handing out express path passes when your exited the plane for those with 2h connections (I wasn't offered one).

Was slightly delayed at immigration as staff were still turning their computers on - however this was in the "ESTA" line, the US line looked to be moving well.

No wait for baggage and no line at customs.

Dropped off my bag at the connecting flights section and was through security at 0635 at the new tunnel between TBIT and terminal 4. Was able to stay airside all the way to terminal 6 and got there shortly before 7.

Assuming no long lines at immigration and an on time arrival, it should be a breeze to get over to terminal 8 especially with being able to stay airside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.