Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help understanding QF international upgrades - requested vs op-ups

Help understanding QF international upgrades - requested vs op-ups

Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CXCPA
Hows does request upgrade works.
Say I have a SIN-MEL. 50K miles for request upgrade, will only open a day or two before departure, is the process automatic, as in if available, it will be upgraded automatically and points deducted or do we have a choice to reject if we do not feel like having the upgrade at that point of time?
And if it is automatically given, I think I read somewhere that there will be a penalty of 5k miles to cancel it? IMO, I am not sure a 50K miles on upgrade is worth it compared to a 60k full redemption ticket.
You will not know if you have won in the QF upgrade lottery until close to departure. Maybe you will not know until you check in. Looking at your QF ff account can at times show something.
You do not have a choice to accept or reject. Only cancel the upgrade request in manage-my-booking before the lottery ends, if it had not processed

50K QF ff points for an upgrade is poor value compared to a 60k full redemption ticket (nothing unusual in the QF ffp in that)

International & domestic upgrade requests have a different procedure.
Do you have QF status?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:50 pm

Thanks Mwenenzi and Dave. Ok. I agree its poor value for upgrades. Think I save my points for a full redemption for EK which seems to be a lot easier then QF metal. LOL. Makes me think why people still want to go for the lottery since its not of good value or they have so much points that they need to get rid of them. QF points don't expire when you have activity right?

Last edited by CXCPA; Feb 21, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:48 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by CXCPA
QF points don't expire when you have activity right?
There must be either earning or expenditure of points at least once every 18 months. Transferring points in or out of the account does NOT count as activity.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Happy to receive a case of wine from anyone wanting to keep their points alive...

https://www.qantasepiqure.com.au/p/W.../WDSVSHZ15_C12

Just an example :-)
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The no brainer is the app, and set the steps low and sleep at 6 hours and you will clock around 2-3 points a day, enough to keep the 18 months happy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.