Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help understanding QF international upgrades - requested vs op-ups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help understanding QF international upgrades - requested vs op-ups

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by og
I'm unaware of when "Thanksgiving weekend" is. It is not a recognised event in Australia. That said, I'd think long haul international wouldn't be affected too much by a frenetic holiday period that would appeal to a local market?

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
United States of America Thanksgiving is November 24. Given the OP's route, the safe assumption is that the "weekend" to which is referred is the weekend after that date. While I am American and clearly knew the reference, a very (very) quick Google search would have given you the answer!
Oops, sorry. Was drawing a parallel to travelling to/from Hong Kong around Chinese New Year which is also something I will be doing so I made the connection in my head and didn't think to share it out loud

Yes, Thanksgiving is on November 24, celebrated in the US, not so much elsewhere. Always falls on a Thursday and most get Friday off, hence "Thanksgiving weekend". I didn't think the date was relevant, was mentioning to imply I was flying around busy travel time for Americans, but I'm not sure if many Americans would be flying that route at that time, or Aussies living in the US would take the opportunity to go home during that time.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:36 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
lax-mel-lax mid-week travel probably has the hightest rate of upgrades, certainly more than SYD-LAX or other days. Still any Y-J upgrades with status will be ahead of your W-J upgrade and preferred by QF (both to honour status and also to harvest the points). I'd rate your chance as 10%, if you were QFF gold then 50%.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
lax-mel-lax mid-week travel probably has the hightest rate of upgrades, certainly more than SYD-LAX or other days. Still any Y-J upgrades with status will be ahead of your W-J upgrade and preferred by QF (both to honour status and also to harvest the points). I'd rate your chance as 10%, if you were QFF gold then 50%.
Thank you! Exactly the feedback I was looking for
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: QF CX
On this topic, I have a strategic decision to make.
Just moved to NY and will be flying to SYD / MEL 6x per year (booking class will be Y). Add a couple of domestic on each trip + 7/8 domestic US + couple of international trips ex NYC.
I am currently CX DM, QF lifetime Silver(was PL for 4 years) and AA Platinum (mileage challenge completed).
CX are great for OP ups, but flying through HK makes the trip way too long.
Given the amount of travel in Y ex NYC, would any airline be a better fit than QF for this amount of travel to AUS? Im asking as I was spoiled at Cathay in the OP up dept. Made the freq travel in a Y ticket almost bearable.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that you have AA status and are travelling in economy class, AA would probably be the best choice. As a Platinum member, you can select from the extra legroom seating free of charge, plus every mile will count towards status.

6x r/ts a year will ensure Executive Platinum status on its own , which gives 4 x systemwide upgrades plus complimentary upgrades within North America - plus gives One World Emerald status

With the other travel mentioned, should likely earn the extra 4 systemwide upgrades that can be received

Subject to availability, that is 4 x r/t LAX-SYD that can be upgraded a year free of charge
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off thread topic
Originally Posted by JoshZT
On this topic, I have a strategic decision to make.
Just moved to NY and will be flying to SYD / MEL 6x per year (booking class will be Y). Add a couple of domestic on each trip + 7/8 domestic US + couple of international trips ex NYC.
I am currently CX DM, QF lifetime Silver(was PL for 4 years) and AA Platinum (mileage challenge completed).
What are your objectives from a ffp?
How long will you be living in the USA?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that you have AA status and are travelling in economy class, AA would probably be the best choice. As a Platinum member, you can select from the extra legroom seating free of charge, plus every mile will count towards status.
<snip>
Subject to availability, that is 4 x r/t LAX-SYD that can be upgraded a year free of charge
Just fly AA and credit to the AA ffp. Is a no brainer IMHO
Upgrades are common on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

Look at the post 3 linked threads and post 330 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:05 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Just fly AA.....
.. so long as you dont mind the noisy AA 77W as opposed to the much quieter and roomy QF 388. But the code shares can take care of that.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by og
.. so long as you dont mind the noisy AA 77W as opposed to the much quieter and roomy QF 388. But the code shares can take care of that.
I would not agree that 777s are noisy plus to get any extra space seating on QF will require spending money whilst MCE is free on AA

Also , AA has no options for upgrading on QF whilst there will be on AA
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I would be checking the cost difference on CX PEY versus AA Y even if crediting to AA. Look at exYYZ and exYVR for the PEY segments.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
I was asked objectives from a FFP, well for me its to make my travel as bearable as possible ieblocking empty seat next to me in Y, upgrades etc. usaual pattern would be to land in MEL in the morning and start to work that day! I'd then then make my way to a few cities and exit (usually from SYD) AA will only service SYD and with only 1 flight a day I can only imagine the pricing options to not be THAT attractive. Being a member on the Airline who's metal you most frequent, does make sense, however with QF I dont think the treatment is THAT much better as a QF PL rather than an OWE.
When I was QF PL, they gave me amazing service, crew were always attentive would even come over before take off and offer a better seat in Y (or 2 seats or a row) when available. But I never got an op-up in 4 years...
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
I was asked objectives from a FFP, well for me its to make my travel as bearable as possible ieblocking empty seat next to me in Y, upgrades etc. usaual pattern would be to land in MEL in the morning and start to work that day! I'd then then make my way to a few cities and exit (usually from SYD) AA will only service SYD and with only 1 flight a day I can only imagine the pricing options to not be THAT attractive. Being a member on the Airline who's metal you most frequent, does make sense, however with QF I dont think the treatment is THAT much better as a QF PL rather than an OWE.
When I was QF PL, they gave me amazing service, crew were always attentive would even come over before take off and offer a better seat in Y (or 2 seats or a row) when available. But I never got an op-up in 4 years...
You will get the same seat selection options whether AA OWE or QF OWE
AA codeshares on the QF flights , so can accrue miles as per an AA flight whether on the AA flight to/from SYD or on the Qantas codeshare
the 4+ Systemwide upgrades will provide for free one way upgrades a year on AA between USA and Australia - QFF wll not give that

Also, are you booking discount economy or full economy. If travelling discount economy, the amount of travel may not be enough to get to to status with Qantas. US-AU earns 45 status credits one way and 1400 will be needed to attain platinum status

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 7, 2016 at 2:05 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will get the same seat selection options whether AA OWE or QF OWE
AA codeshares on the QF flights , so can accrue miles as per an AA flight whether on the AA flight to/from SYD or on the Qantas codeshare
the 4+ Systemwide upgrades will provide for free one way upgrades a year on AA between USA and Australia - QFF wll not give that

Also, are you booking discount economy or full economy. If travelling discount economy, the amount of travel may not be enough to get to to status with Qantas. US-AU earns 45 status credits one way and 1400 will be needed to attain platinum status
discount Y!
If QF will match my CX DM ( i already have lifetime silver and was PL with them for 4 years) then I'll only need 1200 to maintain - but still a challenge... even with domestic sectors etc.
Exec PL with AA seems to be the way to go. Even if I end up on QF metal im not going to be worse off as a OWE (and I still have the CX DM till June), and A good chance of upgrade on the AA sector etc etc may just make it worthwhile... and I can always fly VIA SYD - lets just hope AA pricing a week in advance can compare to QF who have more seats avail to AUS on any given day. I unsually only book a week to 10 days in advance.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:06 pm

discount Y!
If QF will match my CX DM ( i already have lifetime silver and was PL with them for 4 years) then I'll only need 1200 to maintain - but still a challenge... even with domestic sectors etc.
Exec PL with AA seems to be the way to go. Even if I end up on QF metal im not going to be worse off as a OWE (and I still have the CX DM till June), and A good chance of upgrade on the AA sector etc etc may just make it worthwhile... and I can always fly VIA SYD - lets just hope AA pricing a week in advance can compare to QF who have more seats avail to AUS on any given day. I unsually only book a week to 10 days in advance.

I would say it is very unlikely that QF would provide a status match , especially to Platinum status
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

Hows does request upgrade works. Say I have a SIN-MEL. 50K miles for request upgrade, will only open a day or two before departure, is the process automatic, as in if available, it will be upgraded automatically and points deducted or do we have a choice to reject if we do not feel like having the upgrade at that point of time? And if it is automatically given, I think I read somewhere that there will be a penalty of 5k miles to cancel it? IMO, I am not sure a 50K miles on upgrade is worth it compared to a 60k full redemption ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:40 pm

The upgrade is processed automatically and points are automatically deducted

If you don't want the upgrade, then I would recommend cancelling the request before any upgrade is actioned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.