Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF117 SYD-HKG: Disappointing J experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF117 SYD-HKG: Disappointing J experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:02 am

IIRC, the noodle boxes were introduced two or three years ago after complaints about the previously even slimmer pickings.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer QPPS, Enrich Silver, QF WP
Originally Posted by m0hamed

They also offer cheese and Maggie Beer ice cream tubs for dessert.
I suggest you book that ice-cream tub in advance if you're really keen. It always runs out! I suspect they only stock one or two tubs.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
The problem is that you eat a lot in the lounge, then the more substantial meal is served soon after take off and then 6 hours later when you're hungry you get a small snack. If they had dine on demand it would work out better.
Hah! My last three flights from Oz to Asia on QF, it was over 90 minutes before the 'small' plate was served ...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LinaLee
I suggest you book that ice-cream tub in advance if you're really keen. It always runs out! I suspect they only stock one or two tubs.
There were about 10 tubs. We were in 1A/E so it wasn't an issue.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by m0hamed
There were about 10 tubs. We were in 1A/E so it wasn't an issue.
I didn't know they run out. I and the missus were in row 4 - we'd sit ourselves further forward if we know that was a contingency.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:20 pm

To the people saying to take CX instead... the grass isn't always greener on the other side. CX is known to have declining food quality over the years and is considered a joke now by many frequent flyers there.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Reikon
To the people saying to take CX instead... the grass isn't always greener on the other side. CX is known to have declining food quality over the years and is considered a joke now by many frequent flyers there.

Well, based on my recent personal experiences of CX J class, and given the consensus on QF reported in this thread, I would disagree with you.

Apart from anything else, QF doesn't even offer international services from my home town of CNS (apart from to PNG). CX has continued to support our local community for many years.

The frequency of flights between HKG and Australia offered by CX leaves QF as a part time player.

QF is clearly skimping on the basics to save a few bucks at the expense of high paying passengers.

One of the reasons I've shifted my QF travel from 100% to 10% over the last two years.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Chalkie
Agreed. Definitely complain. QF needs to hear those comments, otherwise nothing will change.

Great in theory, but QF have zero interest in constructive feedback. They go through the motions and then ignore both customers and staff.

Some manager recently approached me directly (I think "reached out" is the term) to request feedback - I provided detailed, constructive, extensive feedback, including ideas for progressive options to improve, but got absolutely no response, not even a thank you email.

When I talk to staff on the aircraft they all report the same arrogant attitude from management - simply not interested in listening.

Rot at the top....bad leadership....
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Reikon
I find that the food tends to be very "soggy" and rather tasteless on CX (in J) but at least you get enough to eat.

Similarly, I don't rate BA's food highly but at least they feed you something that you could call a meal (rather than a snack) once during a flight that length (the 2nd meal tends to be small).

My view is now "Never get on a flight hungry, no matter what airline".
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
Hah! My last three flights from Oz to Asia on QF, it was over 90 minutes before the 'small' plate was served ...
Compare that to TG or SQ outbound from SYD that can be cleaning up after a full (and substantial) J meal service in 90 minutes - including multiple hot towel runs and multiple bar cart runs.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I find that the food tends to be very "soggy" and rather tasteless on CX (in J) but at least you get enough to eat.
My experience with them has been the opposite: extremely salty food. Though I agree quantity has not been an issue.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:16 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Dine on Demand is what they should offer. On EY and EK into and out of SYD I can have a full meal just before landing.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
I can see why dine on demand is attractive to many but I find it an annoyance. Trying to sleep becomes a problem with constant movement, smells, and noise.

It is tricky for the airline to get the balance right, but for me, QF fails miserably on the ex Asia flights with its "Supper Menu". I also find the whole "inspired by" "Fred" Perry menu marketing tomfoolery.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Dine on demand = disrupted sleep from service goings-on. I am not really for it.

QF could just do a single tray service but with proper food to those who want to eat, instead of just reducing the amount of food given to everyone. It gets to the point where it makes me wonder if they are trying to say "well you haven't eaten, no-one complained about how little food we're giving you, so we'll take it away from you"

I sincerely hope that's not the case but considering the relatively high fares ex-Australia (compared to equivalent distance in many parts of the world, e.g. Europe, although I do understand the higher costs etc), they should be doing better and offering more.

Originally Posted by eminere
My experience with them has been the opposite: extremely salty food. Though I agree quantity has not been an issue.
Salty still gets classified by me is tasteless - being salty doesn't qualify as 'taste' unless it's well-balanced
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:33 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

The worst sleep I've ever had on a plane was BA15 SIN-SYD in F, so I don't buy the argument that Dine on Demand affects pax more then a structured meal service. It took the crew at least 2 hours after take off to perform the entire meal service.

Most Australian based pax on the Asian routes want to maximise sleep. But I also want to eat what I want, when I want and that's not half a box of noodles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.