Wiki Posts
Search

Question on QF10 LHR > MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Question on QF10 LHR > MEL

Hi all,

I'm flying QF10 next Wednesday from LHR to MEL.

I called Qantas to ask about the re-fuelling time in Dubai. It's scheduled for around 2 hours. I asked if we disembarked and was told no - we had to stay on the aircraft during this time. Is this correct?!

I normally fly to Australia on business on British Airways via Singapore and we are always disembarked the aircraft and can stretch our legs for a couple of hours.

Are we REALLY going to be sat on the tarmac with the doors locked for this time?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: QF QP
In DXB, on both QF 1/2 and QF9/10 I have always disembarked and we have all had to go thru security and go upstairs to the boarding lounge to rejoin the same aircraft. They always announce "take all your belongings with you as the aircraft will be cleaned". This sometime catches out first timers who have brought duty free liquor in LHR or SYD/MEL with is of course confidscated at sercurity.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airvan00
In DXB, on both QF 1/2 and QF9/10 I have always disembarked and we have all had to go thru security and go upstairs to the boarding lounge to rejoin the same aircraft. They always announce "take all your belongings with you as the aircraft will be cleaned". This sometime catches out first timers who have brought duty free liquor in LHR or SYD/MEL with is of course confidscated at sercurity.
Thanks so much for this. Can I go to the lounge and shower (or move around the departures section of the airport) or is everyone held in the boarding gate (some airports have additional gate security - just wondering how limited access is off the plane). Thank you!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are required to disembark at Dubai - you will not be allowed to stay on board

You will transit in Dubai just like any other transit passenger and can visit the Emirates Lounge
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are required to disembark at Dubai - you will not be allowed to stay on board

You will transit in Dubai just like any other transit passenger and can visit the Emirates Lounge
THANK YOU
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
It's pretty poor that their phone agents don't know this about their flagship route.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by travelislife
It's pretty poor that their phone agents don't know this about their flagship route.
+1

AFAIK, there are few exceptions to the rule (e.g. SQ378 SIN-MXP-BCN) but in general for safety reasons, people cannot stay on board when refuelling. Then, for the security reasons, they cannot leave anything on board either.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have seen plenty of cases where staying on board is either mandatory or , at least, optional - Used to regularly see people staying on Emirates flights for example heading to Melbourne

I believe however, that it is not permitted to stay onboard travelling to Australia, due to Australia regulations

There is no issue being onboard during fuelling
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
+1

AFAIK, there are few exceptions to the rule (e.g. SQ378 SIN-MXP-BCN) but in general for safety reasons, people cannot stay on board when refuelling. Then, for the security reasons, they cannot leave anything on board either.
There are a number of tag flights where you are not allowed off the plane. Had it earlier this year on EZE-GIG-DOH where we weren't allowed off. So can't be a safety thing. Probably just easier to clean/change crew with the plane empty.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:39 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
AFAIK, there are few exceptions to the rule (e.g. SQ378 SIN-MXP-BCN) but in general for safety reasons, people cannot stay on board when refuelling.
This is not correct, I don't know of any country where passengers cannot be onboard during refuelling. This is not the reason QF passengers disembark at DXB, and I have sometimes boarded QF1/2/9/10 at DXB while the aircraft was still being refueled.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nux
This is not correct, I don't know of any country where passengers cannot be onboard during refuelling. This is not the reason QF passengers disembark at DXB, and I have sometimes boarded QF1/2/9/10 at DXB while the aircraft was still being refueled.
This depends on fuel used. This (from http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/medi...HAND-SEQ01.pdf and http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/R...ers_on_Board):
Refueling with wide cut gasoline type fuel (JET B, JP4 or equivalent) or when a mixture with these types of fuel might occur, is not permitted with passengers boarding, on board or disembarking.

Refueling with Kerosene (JET A, JET A1 JP8, TS1, RT, TH or equivalent, as approved by the approved Aircraft Flight Manual), is allowed when passengers are boarding, on board, or disembarking.
This also depends on country, size of the aircraft and its type: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...1VYRy2vflyAoIw

Additional human resources may need to be available, making it undesirable: http://www.epd.gov.hk/eia/register/r...ndix%206.2.pdf

But to be honest, most stop are also designed for cleaning of the A/C etc, so they prefer passengers out of the cabin. It is also very much depending on how the stop is designed - the MXP stop on my case is really just to allow people who are ending in MXP to leave the aircraft. Not sure about this, but I do not think SQ has rights for MXP-BCN only, so no new passengers entering the A/C. On the other hand, you will expect heaps of different passengers for your example of QF flights.

Last edited by vbroucek; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:39 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
This depends on fuel used. This (from http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/medi...HAND-SEQ01.pdf and http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/R...ers_on_Board):

This also depends on country, size of the aircraft and its type: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...1VYRy2vflyAoIw
I don't see what relevance JP4 or JetB has, which are both completely different and more volatile fuels than JetA/JetA1 used by the vast majority of commercial aircraft.

The link to the AU Civil Aviation regs states that passengers may remain onboard if the fuel is not Avgas.

So again, the statement "in general for safety reasons, people cannot stay on board when refuelling." is false. Australia, UAE, SIN and the UK allow it and I have been on QF aircraft being refueled at all.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nux
I don't see what relevance JP4 or JetB has, which are both completely different and more volatile fuels than JetA/JetA1 used by the vast majority of commercial aircraft.

The link to the AU Civil Aviation regs states that passengers may remain onboard if the fuel is not Avgas.

So again, the statement "in general for safety reasons, people cannot stay on board when refuelling." is false. Australia, UAE, SIN and the UK allow it and I have been on QF aircraft being refueled at all.
I did a triangle MEL-SYD-DEL (AI) and we were required to stay on board in SYD during refuelling.

Similar situation at BKK with UL flights CMB-BKK-HKG (and IIRC similar CX flights) - through pax required to stay on board.

I'd say staying on board is fairly common.

But back to the OP - yes, as others have said, QF requires everyone off the plane at DXB.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:34 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by WellesleyUK
Thanks so much for this. Can I go to the lounge and shower (or move around the departures section of the airport) or is everyone held in the boarding gate (some airports have additional gate security - just wondering how limited access is off the plane). Thank you!

You will have lounge access depending on your airline status or class of travel.

The shower staff give priority to F passengers so make sure you let them know if eligible.

My last transit in May travelling F provided me with enough time to partake of a lovely meal in the F lounge and walk around the duty free area for some chocolate I couldn't find in Australia.

As noted elsewhere you must get off the plane and take everything with you, go through transit security and then enter airport airside area.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nux
This is not correct, I don't know of any country where passengers cannot be onboard during refuelling. ....
Furthermore, crew have specific duties during fueling operations when SLF are on board - such as advising that seat belts are not to be fastened and that crew are to be stationed at exits. For example, if JQ had a "no passengers on board during refuelling", they would be unlikely to turn around flights so quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.