Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

paying fare difference between economy and business?

Old Jul 10, 16, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum

Partner and I are booked on economy flights to Shanghai this weekend; we suddenly have a hankering for business class and are prepared to pay the fare difference - what's the best way of going about this?
Old Jul 10, 16, 7:48 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by newtestleper View Post
what's the best way of going about this?
Ring Qantas telephone sales.
Old Jul 10, 16, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF
If you're able to change your booking online through MMB that will save you the assistance fee.
Old Jul 10, 16, 10:07 pm

I changed my booking from Premium economy to business last year during a business class sale - Using the website. I cancelled my premium economy booking allowing qantas to keep the money. Then I booked the business class booking - just paying the difference. This way there was no cancellation fee and no change fee. Maybe I was just lucky.
I did try to do it with the call centre before I did it online and it took about an hour and was going to cost me - more for the flights as well as a fee (can't remember if it was a change fee or cancellation fee or both).
Old Jul 10, 16, 11:05 pm

It comes down to what booking class your flight is in and how flexible it is in terms of changes and cancellations.
Old Jul 11, 16, 10:39 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Thanks for posting on this topic. My employer has changed to a very inflexible work travel system which presents a headache for me on a planned MEL-YVR-MEL. My company will cover premium economy but I want to travel business. The fare difference is a personal expense. However they will not book business for me, only my allocated travel class.
So if I understand the posts here, I can pay for the upgrade, subject to fare rules on changes before the day of departure.

So would the change to go from PE to business be a change or a cancellation?

QF PE Saver: change fee $100 or cancellation fee $200.
QF PE Flex: no change or cancellation fee.
And I should be able to do this on-line. If a saver fare then there's the extra $100 or $200 to pay.

CX PE Standard: rebooking $100, but there is a cancellation fee of $550. Not sure whether this would apply if upgrading to business
CX PE Flex: no charge for rebooking or cancellation. So this should work ok.

I presume other airlines, eg NZ who do MEL-AKL-YVR, would be similar.
Old Jul 12, 16, 5:13 am

Programs: AA PLAT/QF Gold
Originally Posted by Buzz53 View Post
Thanks for posting on this topic. My employer has changed to a very inflexible work travel system which presents a headache for me on a planned MEL-YVR-MEL. My company will cover premium economy but I want to travel business. The fare difference is a personal expense. However they will not book business for me, only my allocated travel class.
So if I understand the posts here, I can pay for the upgrade, subject to fare rules on changes before the day of departure.

So would the change to go from PE to business be a change or a cancellation?

QF PE Saver: change fee $100 or cancellation fee $200.
QF PE Flex: no change or cancellation fee.
And I should be able to do this on-line. If a saver fare then there's the extra $100 or $200 to pay.

CX PE Standard: rebooking $100, but there is a cancellation fee of $550. Not sure whether this would apply if upgrading to business
CX PE Flex: no charge for rebooking or cancellation. So this should work ok.

I presume other airlines, eg NZ who do MEL-AKL-YVR, would be similar.
could you potentially get it booked in W, then call within 24 hours and change fee free as you've "changed your mind"?
Old Jul 12, 16, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc View Post
could you potentially get it booked in W, then call within 24 hours and change fee free as you've "changed your mind"?
Except for bookings made in USA for ex USA bookings, I was not aware that QF has a free cancellation period
Old Jul 12, 16, 10:53 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
QF seem to allow 24hrs for changes eg paying up to next class I think in case people make mistakes, I know I've made a few when rushing bookings or half asleep.

NZ are happy TT for you to pay the fare difference and that's it even if it's weeks down the track. Ive not looked into other routes.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Except for bookings made in USA for ex USA bookings, I was not aware that QF has a free cancellation period
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post
QF seem to allow 24hrs for changes eg paying up to next class I think in case people make mistakes, I know I've made a few when rushing bookings or half asleep.
Not 24h but you have until midnight on the same day you make your booking on qantas.com to correct any errors: see Same Day No Mistake policy.
Old Jul 12, 16, 10:44 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Buzz53 View Post
If your company uses a corporate TA for bookings, then any change would need to be made through them.
Old Jul 13, 16, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
They certainly have a free cancellation period for booking made on Qantas.com, but it is not "24 hours". One has until midnight (presumably in the timezone of booking) to change things.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...take/global/en

One of the changes that can be made is to fare type or cabin.

The policy only applies to bookings made at qantas.com. Only change and service fees will be waived. If the new fare is a higher value, the difference is payable by the customer. Changes are subject to availability.
Old Jul 13, 16, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Originally Posted by nux View Post
If your company uses a corporate TA for bookings, then any change would need to be made through them.
I figured that might be the case. I'll have to be more creative & persuasive. The previous corporate TA we used were very helpful, charging the company cost to my corporate card and the upgrade cost to my personal card. But times have changed, unfortunately.
Old Jul 13, 16, 8:48 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Does the ticketing policy that Y and PEY can not be combined with J or F on return tickets still apply?

Or did I not understand previous discussions on this properly?

Happy wandering

Fred

Search this Thread
Search Engine: