Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting to QF Domestic at SYD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As SYD is your entry into Australia you have to clear immigration & customs with all your carry on & checked baggage

Unless a major disruption, 3:35 is OK, even on separate tickets.
But with separate tickets there is always a risk (all yours)
Midday is not that busy for SYD T1 arrivals, unlike early morning 06:00-08:30
Look here---> Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Thanks Mwenenzi!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Is 3 hours and 35 minutes in this scenario realistic? FWIW, I have OWE status, and my travel companions have OWS and OWR each.
There is a risk; I would look at booking a flexible ticket on one of QF, VA or JQ and then , if there is a known delay before departure from KUL, you will be able to change the flight free of charge ( plus any fare difference )

Jetstar has very decently priced flexible fares

This may not protect against issues occurring between KUL and SYD , but will give as good a chance as possible.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:12 am

Hi everyone,

sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have a question similar to that of the OP, and thought that it isn't one that justifies a new thread altogether.

So, I'm flying into SYD in late December on MH123 arriving at 10:55, flying J, and intend to connect to QF441 to Melbourne (in Y) which departs at 14:30. This is on separate tickets. I will be checking in luggage, and based on the above cannot check it through all the way to Melbourne from my origin. Otherwise, I could book myself into QF499 which departs at 21:00 although that is not a desirable time.

Is 3 hours and 35 minutes in this scenario realistic? FWIW, I have OWE status, and my travel companions have OWS and OWR each.

Thanks in advance

clubeurope
There is good news for you: Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings; as long as the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Ask at the check-in counter.

Source
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eminere
There is good news for you: Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings; as long as the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Ask at the check-in counter.

Source
That will not help at all since luggage has to be collected in Sydney regardless - there is no protection against a missed flight with 2 bookings
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by eminere

Source
I don't think that's right. Where is Customs at MEL for arrivals on a domestic flight? Oh wait, there isn't any. Customs and Immigration will be at SYD for this international flight arriving into the country. A country's Customs Dept. has precedence over what an airline "allows".
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I don't think that's right. Where is Customs at MEL for arrivals on a domestic flight? Oh wait, there isn't any. Customs and Immigration will be at SYD for this international flight arriving into the country. A country's Customs Dept. has precedence over what an airline "allows".
MH can tag the bags through to MEL across two separate tickets if their process allows, however - as Dave Noble points out - that does not protect the passenger in the event of a misconnect at SYD since they still have to retrieve/recheck the bags.

As others have alluded: 3:35 at that time of day should be ample to make the connection (even with the reduced running of the Transfer Buses from a 10min interval at peak to 20min off-peak); status should allow for a fairly quick bag-drop experience at SYD if there are any hold-ups there.

Regards,

BD
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I have read on a forum (I think on AFF), that although legally not protected, once through checked in Altea (which is used by MH and QF to process check in) it will appear in the system as a connection and thus is likely (not 100% certainty) that passenger will be rebooked if late inbound. So even though you physically have to collect and recheck bags it is worth trying to through check if possible.

Also QF transfer desk at SYD international tends to have more leeway than other checkin areas - I know (admittedlly some time ago) my partner once had late inbound on DL from LAX with separate award ticket to MEL on QF and was moved to later flight at transfer desk (I think perhaps having award ticket helped).
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I have read on a forum (I think on AFF), that although legally not protected, once through checked in Altea (which is used by MH and QF to process check in) it will appear in the system as a connection and thus is likely (not 100% certainty) that passenger will be rebooked if late inbound. So even though you physically have to collect and recheck bags it is worth trying to through check if possible.
It was recently somewhere here on FT - I have not been to AFF for ages but clearly recall reading that statement recently...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by vbroucek
[/left]
It was recently somewhere here on FT - I have not been to AFF for ages but clearly recall reading that statement recently...
It was likely this post by @ozflygirl747 who has worked for Qantas at check-in and knows that side of using Altea. They have a presence on FT and AFF.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Hi everyone,

sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I have a question similar to that of the OP, and thought that it isn't one that justifies a new thread altogether.

So, I'm flying into SYD in late December on MH123 arriving at 10:55, flying J, and intend to connect to QF441 to Melbourne (in Y) which departs at 14:30. This is on separate tickets. I will be checking in luggage, and based on the above cannot check it through all the way to Melbourne from my origin. Otherwise, I could book myself into QF499 which departs at 21:00 although that is not a desirable time.

Thanks in advance

clubeurope
Also depends on if your flight is not picked for a deep inspection by ABF.
Some flights, they pick on to check a lot of the pax, ie, xray the contents, or decide on a certain number of pax to pull aside and get the pax to open bags, or they can make a fuss when the pick up your incoming pax card off you.
A lot of variables.
If you don't pack any food, and have nothing to declare, go through the green nothing to declare channel, if they decide to get your bag opened, let them have a look see.
From KUL, they might decide to check for food or other things.
Best of luck anyway, usually, when I come back via SYD from NZ, I just have the incoming pax card and smartgate tix, and let them decide if they want to check my HLO or chat.
Some people seem to like to argue with officials.
What passports tho? Can you or your party use Smartgate?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Also depends on if your flight is not picked for a deep inspection by ABF.
Some flights, they pick on to check a lot of the pax, ie, xray the contents, or decide on a certain number of pax to pull aside and get the pax to open bags, or they can make a fuss when the pick up your incoming pax card off you.
A lot of variables.
If you don't pack any food, and have nothing to declare, go through the green nothing to declare channel, if they decide to get your bag opened, let them have a look see.
From KUL, they might decide to check for food or other things.
Best of luck anyway, usually, when I come back via SYD from NZ, I just have the incoming pax card and smartgate tix, and let them decide if they want to check my HLO or chat.
Some people seem to like to argue with officials.
What passports tho? Can you or your party use Smartgate?
Thanks AustralianPoochie

I think I'll just stay overnight in Sydney and take a flight the next morning
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Thanks AustralianPoochie

I think I'll just stay overnight in Sydney and take a flight the next morning
Hi clubeurope,

If you have reason to stay the day/night in Sydney - fine - but personally I think that overkill as mitigation of a mis-connect on a 3:35 window that late in the morning.

How much would your accommodation be costing you? Why not buy a cheap fare on QF441 and also a flex on QF499 - if you make 441, you can cancel 499 for $99 ... got to be cheaper than a hotel in Sydney for the night??

Regards,

BD
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would just book a QF ticket with a later connection, then ask to move earlier. QF domestic @ intl terminal have a lot of discretion and deal with this all of time. Moving to a late morning flight from a later afternoon should not be a capacity issue. I guess it is a matter of what is the worst out of pocket expense that your personal risk appetite will accept.

Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I would just book a QF ticket with a later connection, then ask to move earlier. QF domestic @ intl terminal have a lot of discretion and deal with this all of time. Moving to a late morning flight from a later afternoon should not be a capacity issue. I guess it is a matter of what is the worst out of pocket expense that your personal risk appetite will accept.

Originally Posted by BD1959
Hi clubeurope,

If you have reason to stay the day/night in Sydney - fine - but personally I think that overkill as mitigation of a mis-connect on a 3:35 window that late in the morning.

How much would your accommodation be costing you? Why not buy a cheap fare on QF441 and also a flex on QF499 - if you make 441, you can cancel 499 for $99 ... got to be cheaper than a hotel in Sydney for the night??

Regards,

BD
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate them!

As to overnighting at SYD, some things caught on, and as it goes, one of my friends invited me to meet up at her native Parramatta the day of my arrival. In the end, I chose to book QF423 flying the next day.

Despite that, thanks again!

Safe Travels,

clubeurope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.