Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaiotes
I did some research it appeaap as a us citizen I can get a transit Visa good for 72hrs? Is this correct? The evisa will cost me $140? Not willing to pony up that kind of money. But ideally I would like to avoid having to clear customs. Concerned 3 hrs is not sufficient. Is there a premium customs line for premium passengers?

I am wanting to take the syd-sin-hkg flight as I want to fly in their new A380 First class. Done the suites.
To get to syd. I have the flexibility to book on qf or vf. I don't think it makes a difference so I am leaning towards Qf but Va is cheaper vis ey miles.
As Dave Noble's post above you can/will get an immigration express pass, but the self service Smartgate kiosk will be quicker if you are eligible. I now have a collection on express passes but never used since Smartgate (no need to use).
For customs/quarantine everyone is the same queue.
Queues can be long or short getting into Australia.
If first flight is on time should be OK, but with separate tickets is a risk .

An ESTA is Au$20. Is a link in the smartgate thread. The Au government will not negotiate or waive Au$20-Au$140 fees. To go landside after collecting baggage (and then check in) you will need some sort of visa, depending on your passport.
At both Australian & NZ airports I have seen passengers denied boarding due to lack of an Au-NZ visa.

Old May 20, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
An ESTA is Au$20. Is a link in the smartgate thread. The Au government will not negotiate or waive Au$20-Au$140 fees. To go landside after collecting baggage (and then check in) you will need some sort of visa, depending on your passport.
At both Australian & NZ airports I have seen passengers denied boarding due to lack of an Au-NZ visa.
An e-visa is not an ESTA .

They are "ETA"s and can be had for AUD20 here:

www.eta.immi.gov.au

Note they can also be had for the cost of a "pass it forward" here: (But not until after May 31.)

Free Australian ETA Visa application*

Last edited by serfty; May 20, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 4:14 pm

Thanksfor the link to the ETA thread. I will go that route. Hopefully 3 hrs is sufficient
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Would QF thru check bags on separate tickets?

I will have two award tickets. One in either coach or Business class (haven’t decided which one yet) from BNE to MEL, and from MEL to SIN on First Class. AAdvantage made me drop the first sector as there were too many segments. So now I’d have to redeem a separate ticket between BNE and MEL. It’s for my aunt, and she’ll be in a WCHR and want to make the experience as little hassle as possible.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

I will have two award tickets. One in either coach or Business class (haven’t decided which one yet) from BNE to MEL, and from MEL to SIN on First Class. AAdvantage made me drop the first sector as there were too many segments. So now I’d have to redeem a separate ticket between BNE and MEL. It’s for my aunt, and she’ll be in a WCHR and want to make the experience as little hassle as possible.
A better thread for your question QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

QF link https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hecked-baggage

If travelling on a oneworld flight booked on separate tickets in separate bookings, the baggage will not be checked through and the customers will not receive the boarding pass for their onward flight.

Please allow enough time for your customers to collect their baggage at the end of each flight, clear customs and immigration if necessary, move between different terminals and re-check in with the next carrier.

However, if your customers are travelling on separate tickets but in the same booking, the bags will be transferred between flights and they will receive the boarding pass for their onward flight.

* Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel.
What is not 100% clear is if the exemption only for QF ffp awards or all ff awards from other ffp's (OW & partner)

I would work on the assumption bags will not be interlined on separate PNR's.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Actually according to this link, QF to QF on separate bookings and on separate PNRs, baggage will be checked thru. So thank you for that!
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Actually according to this link, QF to QF on separate bookings and on separate PNRs, baggage will be checked thru. So thank you for that!
Looks like this has changed recently! Thanks for pointing out.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc

Looks like this has changed recently! Thanks for pointing out.
Nope. Been that way for a long time. I have pdf's going back to when it was announced.
But getting a QF check-in agent to do it is another matter
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
QF Award -> BA Revenue

I wanted to add this email conversation from late 2017 for the record - so QF email customer service denied knowledge of the policy exception (qf award -> oneworld revenue baggage interline) as outlined in the QF website.

BUT i want to know if this CS rep has gotten it all wrong as it would be helpful if they lived up to their exception on their website.
Has anybody managed to successfully do this by pointing the check in agent to the website?

++++ query 1++++
i asked something about qf interline policy, specifically connecting QF award (mel-syd) to BA revenue (syd-sin)

++++ answer 1++++
Thank you for your email.

Since the 1st of September 2016 Qantas has no longer provided passengers with a through check to another oneworld operated flight if they are travelling on two separate tickets. Passengers connecting from Qantas to another oneworld operated flight booked on the same eTicket within the same itinerary will be provided with a boarding pass for their onwards flight and any checked in baggage will be through checked to their final destination.

If passengers are booked to travel Melbourne to Sydney with Qantas on one eTicket and Sydney to Singapore with British Airways on another eTicket, they will be required to re-collect any checked in luggage upon arrival into Sydney and re-check in for their onwards flight with British Airways directly.

I hope this helps.

Regards

+++++++query 2+++++++++
Hi team,

I would like to clarify then what baggage through check exceptions exist,
when travelling on QF, then connecting to another oneworld carrier on
separate tickets (this is clearly mentioned in your industry webpage below):

- QF connecting to/from oneworld, travelling on SEPARATE PNR^

^ Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a *one*world separate PNRs
when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel.

https://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf...hecked-baggage

++++response #2 ++++

Thank you again for your email.

I'd suggest getting in touch with the Qantas Industry Centre team for further clarification on the policies outlined on their website as Qantas will no longer through check passengers and/or luggage from a Qantas operated flight to another oneworld operated flight booked on a separate eTicket and no exceptions apply. Passengers and baggage will only be through checked if they are booked upon the same eTicket within the same itinerary as per my email below.

I hope this further clarifies.

Regards

Qantas Airways

================================================== ========================

Last edited by ermen; Jul 29, 2018 at 6:33 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Customer service/call centre... unlikely to be up on the rules. Airport check in should be (hopefully).
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ermen
QF Award -> BA Revenue

I wanted to add this email conversation from late 2017 for the record - so QF email customer service denied knowledge of the policy exception (qf award -> oneworld revenue baggage interline) as outlined in the QF website.

BUT I want to know if this CS rep has gotten it all wrong as it would be helpful if they lived up to their exception on their website.
Has anybody managed to successfully do this by pointing the check in agent to the website?
<snip>
I'd suggest getting in touch with the Qantas Industry Centre team for further clarification on the policies outlined on their website as Qantas will no longer through check passengers and/or luggage from a Qantas operated flight to another oneworld operated flight booked on a separate eTicket and no exceptions apply. Passengers and baggage will only be through checked if they are booked upon the same eTicket within the same itinerary as per my email below.
================================================== ========================
This pdf attached was printed/downloaded 19 Nov 2016. It has the award - revenue exception. The current web site has this exception described better.

The BA part of "QF Award -> BA Revenue" may be an issue. Some at QF may thinks it only QF to QF, but the policy states Oneworld
Attached Images  
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
thanks next time i will print it out and bring it on my itinerary (where interline is not 100% critical).

may ask over at the AFF if anybody has done this successfully before
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Correct and Correct ; maybe you would have more luck if you book on Air New Zealand from AKL-SYD. If not booked yet, can you not book non stop from AKL-SIN?
NZ won't even through check to other NZ flights on separate pnrs so I'd be surprised if they would through check to SQ despite both carriers being Star Alliance members. The only time you *may* have some luck with QF interlining to SQ on separate tickets was if you booked through a TA who uses Amadeus and could use the same pnr but still issue separate tickets. The SQ flight would show as oncarriage in the Altea checkin system which looks like it's all on the same ticket so the CSA would check the bags through from AKL to SIN and issue both boarding passes. I believe QF still have an IATCI agreement with SQ.

QF will definitely through check to other QF flights on separate pnrs - there was never any change to that policy when the OW interline changes happened. Until the end of August the 789 is operating several flights between BNE & MEL prior to commencing service BNE/LAX on 01 Sep so look out for those flights. If not a 789 it'll be a 738. Tell your aunt to check in at BNE domestic terminal at least one hour prior to departure and to mention that SIN is her final destination so they'll through check bags and issue both boarding passes.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:09 am
THR

Seems to be quite a hit and miss policy.

I'm booked n QF 1st, AA points, from SYD-HKG. Then I am catching a CX flight (paid PEY).

As it is Oneworld-->Oneworld, Award to Revenue, it should be covered by this policy? It's a tight connection (2 hour turnaround at HKG) - so if we have to reclaim baggage, as they won't interline, I am concerned we will miss our onward flight
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by THR
Seems to be quite a hit and miss policy.

I'm booked n QF 1st, AA points, from SYD-HKG. Then I am catching a CX flight (paid PEY).

As it is Oneworld-->Oneworld, Award to Revenue, it should be covered by this policy? It's a tight connection (2 hour turnaround at HKG) - so if we have to reclaim baggage, as they won't interline, I am concerned we will miss our onward flight
It should be covered. But if not, you can (a) check with the CX transfer counter at HKG on arrival and ask if they can assist with finding your bags and retagging them (saving you the journey out), or as a worst case scenario, if you do have to collect your bags, don’t stress... it will be tight but you would have time to exit, collect bags and recheck. You should be in the arrivals hall around 30 minutes after arriving at the gate, giving you 90 minutes to recheck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.