Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Following on from the likes of AA and CX, QF will cease interline of baggage on separate bookings from 1 Sep according to http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-tight...eworld-flights

The article is a bit unclear on whether this will apply to QF->QF bookings or just QF->other carriers

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Following on from the likes of AA and CX, QF will cease interline of baggage on separate bookings from 1 Sep according to http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-tight...eworld-flights

The article is a bit unclear on whether this will apply to QF->QF bookings or just QF->other carriers
Has it been confirmed for AA (I know BA has from 1 June)?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....orld-alliance/
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

So far, it seems that AA has not announced a change to its policy and still documents that it will through check and protect passengers connecting between AA and another OW carrier ( this on its pages for travel agents and not on the public pages )

I would be very surprised if it chose to be the hang out and continue to offer it as other major OW players stop

I think now that BA,CX,MH and QR have all ceased offering it
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:25 am

So far, it seems that AA has not announced a change to its policy and still documents that it will through check and protect passengers connecting between AA and another OW carrier ( this on its pages for travel agents and not on the public pages ). I would be very surprised if it chose to be the hang out and continue to offer it as other major OW players stop
Just an update on this: AA has confirmed that it will "continue to thru-check bags on multiple PNRs with Oneworld carriers" (albeit that comment preceded with the statement "at this time").

Link: Oneworld airlines revise baggage policy for connecting flights

[Disclaimer: I'm the author of that article but sharing here as it's directly relevant to the issue raised]
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You could also spin this to say that Qantas have just confirmed they will continue to through-check "at this time". (That changes from 1 Sep, though).

And the last time I asked Qantas to through-check luggage on to a different ticket on a oneworld carrier - QR - they told me to bugger off! So, as far as I'm concerned, they stopped doing this years ago.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Just an update on this: AA has confirmed that it will "continue to thru-check bags on multiple PNRs with Oneworld carriers" (albeit that comment preceded with the statement "at this time").
That doesn't really mean much - Qantas could have said the same thing yesterday
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: QF, Virgin Australia
To me, the lack of interlining on separate PNRs would be a HUGE inconvenience and definitely affect my choice of carrier.
I'm almost always travelling on a cobbled together collection of sectors across different bookings and while I avoid checked luggage, sometimes something has to go in the hold. FWIW a few months ago QF had no issues through checking bags onto MH (different booking and different class of travel) but it took the check-in agent quite some time to accomplish.
Anyway, if this feature of Oneworld goes away, they can expect passengers to go away as well
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:11 am

That doesn't really mean much - Qantas could have said the same thing yesterday
Quite so, except that at least we don't have AA saying "No dual PNR through-check for you!" at this point... that's something, surely, and at least for now we know where we stand with AA.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Quite so, except that at least we don't have AA saying "No dual PNR through-check for you!" at this point... that's something, surely, and at least for now we know where we stand with AA.
Maybe - but I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't change its position to go inline with the others soon and provide a consistemt experience whether it be AA->XX or XX->AA
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Maybe - but I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't change its position to go inline with the others soon and provide a consistemt experience whether it be AA->XX or XX->AA
They may well be more interested in how they compare with UA and DL before they decide what to do.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:12 am

But the QF-EK partnership is unaffected, so that continues as usual. Thought of adding this as the title may be misleading.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by edy4eva
But the QF-EK partnership is unaffected, so that continues as usual. Thought of adding this as the title may be misleading.
[mod hat] Edited the title to reflect this. [/mod hat]
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Quite frankly, I really fail to see the logic. Checking people in for connecting flights and checking luggage through is one of the big benefits of an alliance. And there are many reasons why people have to travel on more than one ticket. The cost savings to QF will be minimal from this so I wonder how this ever got on the Oneworld agenda.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Checking in for connecting flights is a benefit of having a connecting flight

When on 2 separate itineraries, they are not connecting flights

There are benefits of separate tickets and there are drawbacks

Why should airlines assist those taking positioning flights to get cheap tickets onwards, for example?

There are few cases where having separate tickets is mandatory, though many where it can make a cheaper journey
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Quite frankly, I really fail to see the logic. Checking people in for connecting flights and checking luggage through is one of the big benefits of an alliance. And there are many reasons why people have to travel on more than one ticket. The cost savings to QF will be minimal from this so I wonder how this ever got on the Oneworld agenda.
Totally agree. It's almost as though this policy change was devised in the "how to p!ss off pax with no financial gain" workshop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.