Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by THR
Bear in mind, she said Qantas make it tricky for them to find the appropriate way of checking them through. She obviously knew ... I suspect other less knowledgeable staff may struggle.
Correct, you may need to request that the agent phones their supervisor or help desk to assist; I doubt it is a deliberate attempt by QF to make it hard to do such interlining, more a case of infrequently used options being buried inside a menu system that the agents rarely navigate. Usually not a problem at SYD/MEL but a big problem at outlying airports particularly those with contract staff (so they work different systems, not just QF). Making interlining hard has got to be the dumbest idea that legacy airlines have adopted en masse ... great way to make LCC more successful.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by number_6
Correct, you may need to request that the agent phones their supervisor or help desk to assist; I doubt it is a deliberate attempt by QF to make it hard to do such interlining, more a case of infrequently used options being buried inside a menu system that the agents rarely navigate. Usually not a problem at SYD/MEL but a big problem at outlying airports particularly those with contract staff (so they work different systems, not just QF). Making interlining hard has got to be the dumbest idea that legacy airlines have adopted en masse ... great way to make LCC more successful.
Agree. I remember back in 2002 I checked in at CDG for an AF flight to LHR, with my next flight on QF. Separate tickets. I asked if I could get checked through expecting to be rebuffed. And they were able to interline as if it was a normal check in. No confusion, no extended wait times. Things have changed for the worse.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc

Agree. I remember back in 2002 I checked in at CDG for an AF flight to LHR, with my next flight on QF. Separate tickets. I asked if I could get checked through expecting to be rebuffed. And they were able to interline as if it was a normal check in. No confusion, no extended wait times. Things have changed for the worse.
If Air France was prepared to take the risk of costs associated with it, then it can check bags through, that is an Air France decision - it may only be getting paid for a cheap flight to London, but then becomes liable to cost of rerouting luggage et al if something goes wrong

It seems that some want to have their cake and eat it - take advantage of separate bookings but not happy with the disadvantages
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seems that some want to have their cake and eat it - take advantage of separate bookings but not happy with the disadvantages
And equally I guess some airlines would rather have the revenue from a flight (and through check bags) than forego the revenue on the odd chance the bag may go missing.

If no airline is willing to interline bags on separate tickets I have a choice of carrier. Would you rather take my money and make $200, or refuse to interline and I can take a competitor (who also may not interline, but as a passenger I still have to pick up the bags anyway, so no loss).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
And equally I guess some airlines would rather have the revenue from a flight (and through check bags) than forego the revenue on the odd chance the bag may go missing.

If no airline is willing to interline bags on separate tickets I have a choice of carrier. Would you rather take my money and make $200, or refuse to interline and I can take a competitor (who also may not interline, but as a passenger I still have to pick up the bags anyway, so no loss).
It isn't making $200 - if the bag goes atray - it is going to be a loss

If another airline is cheaper, then it makes sense to take it - if the airline thinks it will make more money by offering such a benefit, I suspect it would do so

That Qantas ( and BA and AA ) have stopped offering it, suggests that the reasons for offering it are outweighed by the negatives
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If another airline is cheaper, then it makes sense to take it
How much does it cost to repatriate a bag? One would have thought airlines off-set that against each other. Maybe they don't.

The fare difference may be negligible. But if one carrier decides to take the initiative to through check they'll get the money.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:09 am
Original Poster

How much does it cost to repatriate a bag? One would have thought airlines off-set that against each other. Maybe they don't.

The fare difference may be negligible. But if one carrier decides to take the initiative to through check they'll get the money.
My understanding is that tthe airline which accepts the bag is the airline liable for the costs associated with it - the passenger may deal with the last airline in the set , but the 1st airline bears the cost

If the airline felt that it was losing too much profit by having that restriction, I expect that it would get rid of it. It sounds like Qantas was happy to be able to drop the through checking

The airline / passenger relationship is simply a business transaction - if one business is offering something that is of value to the customer, then makes sense to use it
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that tthe airline which accepts the bag is the airline liable for the costs associated with it - the passenger may deal with the last airline in the set , but the 1st airline bears the cost

If the airline felt that it was losing too much profit by having that restriction, I expect that it would get rid of it. It sounds like Qantas was happy to be able to drop the through checking
It would be interesting to know what the actual cost was.

IIRC the refusal to interline on separate tickets came in about the time of the Icelandic volcano eruption? The days of delays cost airlines money with baggage. But a knee jerk reaction to a one off seems a bit short sighted. At least from a passenger perspective.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It would be interesting to know what the actual cost was.

IIRC the refusal to interline on separate tickets came in about the time of the Icelandic volcano eruption? The days of delays cost airlines money with baggage. But a knee jerk reaction to a one off seems a bit short sighted. At least from a passenger perspective.
Iceland volcano was 2010. This came in 2016.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The IATA operating rules change regularly and in 2017 for interlined baggage the IATA rule specifies that the final operating carrier has all baggage risk. This is the opposite of the prior rule where the first carrier paid Corresponds to the date when many airlines stopped interlining voluntarily on separate tickets -- they have no choice but to interline for single tickets. The law in most countries makes all carriers equally liable (first, middle, last) for baggage loss or damage and you can choose to deal with any of them, however most airlines will tell you that you must deal with the last carrier (this is mostly for their convenience, as only the last carrier may have a presence in the final destination airport). Finally the Montreal or Warsaw conventions for international flights each have different terms and dollar limits. Most country pairs have signed up to the Montreal convention, but those that have not will use Warsaw. Brunei for example has not ratified Montreal so uses the cheaper Warsaw convention -- maybe part of the reason Air Brunei has cheapest airfares in the region
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

If another airline is cheaper, then it makes sense to take it - if the airline thinks it will make more money by offering such a benefit, I suspect it would do so

That Qantas ( and BA and AA ) have stopped offering it, suggests that the reasons for offering it are outweighed by the negatives

A bit off topic but CX did restore interline through-checking (one of the first times it has listened to customers!!)

MH too.

​​​​​​​But then both airlines seem to be basket cases at the moment with one of them obviously more basket.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If you believe the ground staff in "Heathrow: Britain's Busiest Airport" documentary, thousands of pounds when bags make connections but passengers don't.

I think the problem isn't recovering the cost of the service. The problem is retaining the ability to price connections separately from the sum of its parts.

Airlines regularly take on the risk (cost) of losing "thousands of pounds" when they sell connections.

But if airlines want to charge a fare difference of a few hundred pounds as a connection service, it may seem unseemly and/or attract unwanted competition regulator scrutiny.

(How few hundred £) say I want to fly back from KEF (popular holiday destination for HK) back to HK on the end of a public holiday.
BA wants eight hundred £ for that o/w.
It may be offering Avios redemptions to LHR (which will yield it say about 30 £ of Avios purchase from my HK partner bank). And revenue tickets from LHR to HKG (less popular, or at least more competition) for five hundred £.
BA will want to charge me £270 difference - as bag transfer fee, but that would be unseemly, wouldn't it?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This pdf attached was printed/downloaded 19 Nov 2016. It has the award - revenue exception. The current web site has this exception described better.

The BA part of "QF Award -> BA Revenue" may be an issue. Some at QF may thinks it only QF to QF, but the policy states Oneworld
This did the job perfectly! BA Avios redemption on QF BNE-SYD, connecting onto revenue BA SYD-LHR-OSL. They weren't sure at first, then showed the website, still unsure then showed this and they were much happier! Called over their supervisor to check (who was totally up to speed re the exemption for mixed reward/revenue) and bag duly checked the whole way through to OSL ^ Many thanks to the posters on this thread, saves me having to collect and recheck in SYD and can go straight to connecting bus, giving me more time in the QF First Lounge
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Do Qantas interline with Ethiad. Its all one PNR but with a 9 hour transit in Abu Dhabi from 11pm to 8am not sure whether they will check it in to final destination in Europe
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
QF has a baggage interline agreement with EY. But what exactly is your itinerary, and is it all on one ticket? (It's probably my ignorance, but I didn't know that QF flies to AUH.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.