Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

It should be covered. But if not, you can (a) check with the CX transfer counter at HKG on arrival and ask if they can assist with finding your bags and retagging them (saving you the journey out), or as a worst case scenario, if you do have to collect your bags, dont stress... it will be tight but you would have time to exit, collect bags and recheck. You should be in the arrivals hall around 30 minutes after arriving at the gate, giving you 90 minutes to recheck.
per some reports, dont think the HKG airside transfer desk will retagg baggage now

i really think you should have time to get out though...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:35 pm
THR

Assuming the flight is not late arriving... average delays are 20-40 minutes. Anyway, hopefully will all be okay on the day.

Ideally, in order:
1) QF interline, per the exception policy
2) CX transfer at transfer desk, failing above
3) Flight is not delayed and we have enough time to collect and re-check in.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by THR
Assuming the flight is not late arriving... average delays are 20-40 minutes. Anyway, hopefully will all be okay on the day.

Ideally, in order:
1) QF interline, per the exception policy
2) CX transfer at transfer desk, failing above
3) Flight is not delayed and we have enough time to collect and re-check in.
If were me I would skip #2 - I believe there was a change of policy that CX will not help you retag airside transfer desk.
YMMV.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29029044-post573.html
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Let's see what happens in the next 3 weeks for Mrs shuuy. QF award to LHR, BA revenue. Hopefully the QF F desk will make this happen!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
I had an unexpected win a couple of weeks ago flying out of SYD. Knowing the story, didn't even try ask for the bags to be interlined (separate itinerary on UL ex CMB that only had my QFF number to link them). You can imagine my surprise when the check-in desk asked if I wanted the bags checked all the way through to the destination on the other booking - this was as she was in the act of putting the tags on, which had already printed to my final destination! Both normal revenue tickets, no award travel involved.
shuuy likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Reds2011
I had an unexpected win a couple of weeks ago flying out of SYD. Knowing the story, didn't even try ask for the bags to be interlined (separate itinerary on UL ex CMB that only had my QFF number to link them). You can imagine my surprise when the check-in desk asked if I wanted the bags checked all the way through to the destination on the other booking - this was as she was in the act of putting the tags on, which had already printed to my final destination! Both normal revenue tickets, no award travel involved.
When you say separate itinerary ex CMB, on the outbound journey were UL in CMB happ to through check to QF flight ex Asia on separate pnrs ie you would have have bags through checked to SYD and received both the UL and QF boarding pass on your outbound journey?

If so, Altea would have automatically merged the return flights in the checkin system (UL & QF res pnrs remain totally independent of each other). Therefore when you checked in with QF on the way 'home' to CMB they would automatically see the oncarriage flights on UL. When flights are merged in the checkin system it gives the appearance of all flights being the same booking hence bags being tagged to the final destination and both the QF & UL boarding passes issued.

It has nothing to do with your QF ffn being in the UL pnr as the above scenario would happen for someone with no ffn in the bookings.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
When you say separate itinerary ex CMB, on the outbound journey were UL in CMB happ to through check to QF flight ex Asia on separate pnrs ie you would have have bags through checked to SYD and received both the UL and QF boarding pass on your outbound journey?

If so, Altea would have automatically merged the return flights in the checkin system (UL & QF res pnrs remain totally independent of each other). Therefore when you checked in with QF on the way 'home' to CMB they would automatically see the oncarriage flights on UL. When flights are merged in the checkin system it gives the appearance of all flights being the same booking hence bags being tagged to the final destination and both the QF & UL boarding passes issued.
Nailed it. And here I was thinking I was special Appreciate the explanation.

Separate booking AUH-CMB-AUH connecting to the QF booking (Codeshare with UL on to HKG etc). The check-in desk at AUH were happy to check it through onto the QF booking, so that's when the magic would have happened.
ozflygirl747 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Thanks all for this informative thread.

Next week I'm taking QF9 PER-LHR booked through Qantas Business Essentials (anyone else use them?) then catching BA LHR-ABZ booked direct with BA website. That route is still listed by Qantas as a codeshare so I'm hopeful I can interline bags.

Otherwise I have 3h to collect T3 and bag drop T5. Should be do-able but much more convenient if I can check bag through from PER.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
Thanks all for this informative thread.

Next week I'm taking QF9 PER-LHR booked through Qantas Business Essentials (anyone else use them?) then catching BA LHR-ABZ booked direct with BA website. That route is still listed by Qantas as a codeshare so I'm hopeful I can interline bags.

Otherwise I have 3h to collect T3 and bag drop T5. Should be do-able but much more convenient if I can check bag through from PER.

Since these are 2 separate bookings then you will have to collect at T3 and take them to T5 - if you miss the onward flight, you will have to pay any fees for new flight
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by mandolino

The fact that LHR-ABZ is a codeshare route is irrelevant with separate pnrs because if booked direct through BA then it will be a BA marketed flight. If the PER/LHR/ABZ was on a single ticket then you'd be fine and it wouldn't matter if the LHR/ABZ was booked as a QF codeshare flight or a BA marketed flight as your bags would be tagged to ABZ and you'd get both boarding passes in PER.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by THR
Seems to be quite a hit and miss policy.

I'm booked n QF 1st, AA points, from SYD-HKG. Then I am catching a CX flight (paid PEY).

As it is Oneworld-->Oneworld, Award to Revenue, it should be covered by this policy? It's a tight connection (2 hour turnaround at HKG) - so if we have to reclaim baggage, as they won't interline, I am concerned we will miss our onward flight
@THR did you manage to get the QF check in to apply the policy exception?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:49 am
THR

I shall let you know soon. We fly on 22nd December.

Depending on it given our connection.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:00 pm
THR

So, end result is they interlined.

Check in agent (at first) was aware of the policy, so was all pretty simple.

Very thankful for that as it makes our transit immensely easier.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by THR
So, end result is they interlined.

Check in agent (at first) was aware of the policy, so was all pretty simple.

Very thankful for that as it makes our transit immensely easier.
thanks for reporting back!
certainly will keep this in mind for next time!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:44 am
THR

Bear in mind, she said Qantas make it tricky for them to find the appropriate way of checking them through. She obviously knew ... I suspect other less knowledgeable staff may struggle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.