Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Thanks perthite. Have put it in wiki
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
OK so I have upcoming travel:

PHL -> LAX on an AA reservation/itin, 6 hour layover in LAX then LAX -> MEL, 12 hour layover then MEL -> AKL...so are folks in agreement that if I check my bag at PHL it should get checked all the way to AKL? Will I have to pick it up in SYD and recheck after customs?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Filler03
PHL -> LAX on an AA reservation/itin, 6 hour layover in LAX then LAX -> MEL, 12 hour layover then MEL -> AKL...
(Amended 11:43) I think you're most likely going to be able to check all the way through to AKL:

- one booking PHX-LAX-MEL-AKL: definitely
- separate ticket for MEL-AKL or LAX-MEL-AKL: should still be able to, since AA is still checking through to partners and QF allows check through between its own flights even in separate PNRs.

Originally Posted by Filler03
Will I have to pick it up in SYD and recheck after customs?
(Assuming you mean MEL not SYD) No recheck.

Note you probably need an ETA for Australia because the TWOV exemption is 8 hours (unless you're an Australian or New Zealander). I see you've asked the question in another thread in this forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post26870912

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 4, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
My forthcoming travel is in October. Classic points award ticket on QF to LHR, followed by a separate paid booking for travel onwards to the continent with BA. Not able to be on the same ticket as no award availability on the BA flight. All booked and ticketed before the changes were announced.

On the forward journey, the scheduled arrival at LHR is at 2.15pm. The onward journey on BA is a departure at 5.40pm. That's a little over 3 hours (assuming no delayed arrival). I think that should be enough time to clear immigration, collect bags and head over to T5. What do others think?

I've never had to make a non-interlined connection of this kind before at LHR, so I am afraid I don't have a sense of whether I will have enough time to make the connection.

(Return is no problem as there is an overnight stop in London).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:31 am

Should be fine http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post26815131
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
QF does provide online (ie, QF to QF) through check of bags when on separate tix.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Chalkie
My forthcoming travel is in October. Classic points award ticket on QF to LHR, followed by a separate paid booking for travel onwards to the continent with BA. Not able to be on the same ticket as no award availability on the BA flight. All booked and ticketed before the changes were announced.
QF should be able to tag your bags the whole way through with that one.

Exceptions apply in the following circumstances:
  • The separate ticket is a Qantas or Emirates booking;
  • Customers are travelling on oneworld separate PNRs, using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. These customers may be through checked and their baggage interlined as it is not possible to make both of these reservations in one PNR.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Brettmcg

• Customers are travelling on oneworld separate PNRs, using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. These customers may be through checked and their baggage interlined as it is not possible to make both of these reservations in one PNR.
Quite ridiculous that is the reason given for this exception. What about the other circumstances where it's not possible to book in one PNR such as a work trip happening immediately before or after personal travel?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:52 pm

So I think it's a revenue management initiative...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle

Many thanks. QF did indeed interline our bags on those sectors. There was no issue or mention of it at check in, other than "here are your luggage receipts with your bags checked through to GVA".
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

Where did you get confirmation on this exception? I didn't know it existed....
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by ermen
Where did you get confirmation on this exception? I didn't know it existed....

Hi ermen,

Have found a link to that policy:

http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/...hecked-baggage
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Welcome to FT, blue_nose !!!!

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:32 pm

Just to piggyback on this thread.....

I'm flying QF J SYD-ADL and then QR J ADL-DOH on two separate PNR's.

What are my chances of finding a nice QF agent to tag my bag all the way from SYD to DOH? Do they seem to be accommodating at through checking bags on separate OneWorld PNR's?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bananahead
Just to piggyback on this thread.....

I'm flying QF J SYD-ADL and then QR J ADL-DOH on two separate PNR's.

What are my chances of finding a nice QF agent to tag my bag all the way from SYD to DOH? Do they seem to be accommodating at through checking bags on separate OneWorld PNR's?
Very unliklley. QF's policy is not to check through. Expect to collect bags and check back in again. Fortunately Adelaide is a really easy airport for such flights with it all being in 1 terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.