Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Fair enough - the QR website has been known to sometimes seems to show up 36h 'connections' (even though there are other flights in the meantime), so I didn't know if this was one of those situations - hard 24h limit makes more sense though.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Yes that sounds like a situation that should be covered - I'd advise they take some of the printouts referenced upthread with them though in case they run into problems at the airport! Also make sure they're clear they only want the luggage to go to DOH due to the long layover. Please report back and let us know how they get on
Thanks EDIflyer

I will ask my friend to take the printouts referenced upthread with him. Hopefully it will be okay.

I will report back and let you guys know how he get on. Thanks again for your help and time!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No chance - 24 hours is the maximum check through time - the passenger will need to retrieve the bags in Doha
Thanks Dave Noble!

So that means that my friend will be able to retrieve his luggage in Doha at ease as the layover is more than twenty four hours?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by kkt228
Thanks Dave Noble!

So that means that my friend will be able to retrieve his luggage in Doha at ease as the layover is more than twenty four hours?
Your friend just needs to ensure the bags are tagged to DOH since it is technically a stopover (>24hrs) and that bags are required in Doha. The check in agent should briefly discuss / confirm at check in.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkt228
Thanks Dave Noble!

Yes - Since it is a stopover in Doha , the bags will need to be collected in Doha
If the passenger changes his booking such that it simply a transit in Doha ( < 24 hours ) , the bags should be able to be checked through
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by og

Your friend just needs to ensure the bags are tagged to DOH since it is technically a stopover (>24hrs) and that bags are required in Doha. The check in agent should briefly discuss / confirm at check in.
Yes - Since it is a stopover in Doha , the bags will need to be collected in Doha
If the passenger changes his booking such that it simply a transit in Doha ( < 24 hours ) , the bags should be able to be checked through
Thanks og and Dave Noble for your help and time. It is hugely appreciated.

I will inform my friend about this matter. Thanks again!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Looking for some advice on this situation:

1) AS award ticket on QF MEL-LAX (in F if it matters)
2) AA paid ticket LAX-PHX four hours after MEL-LAX arrives

Based on the Agency Connect page on interlining, I'm not sure if this qualifies for through-checking bags given the following exception:

^ Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
Since my QF flights aren't on a OW PNR but were ticketed by AS. Do I have a chance of through-checking bags from MEL to LAX (picking them up to clear customs of course)?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Not that it makes a lot of difference given that you have to collect bags anyway, but yes, they should be tagged to onward destination
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Not that it makes a lot of difference given that you have to collect bags anyway, but yes, they should be tagged to onward destination
Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I am flying QF BNE to HKG on a revenue ticket and then BA HKG to LHR on an award ticket (booked on BAEC). Will the exemption for a mixed award / revenue apply? I am hoping in BNE QF will check my bags through to LHR.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braiden9
I am flying QF BNE to HKG on a revenue ticket and then BA HKG to LHR on an award ticket (booked on BAEC). Will the exemption for a mixed award / revenue apply? I am hoping in BNE QF will check my bags through to LHR.
Phileas was successful interlining on a QF award (BAEC avios?) ZQN SYD to a QR flight SYD-DOH, as below. (SYD airport thread)
Best to print out the QF rules. How much time in HKG if QF will not interline?

Originally Posted by Phileas
I have a question concerning the existence of a transfer desk for an international connection. I am arriving in SYD from ZQN on a QF flight (award ticket) and continuing on QR with 2 different bookings. As the first flight is an award flight, the QF exception should apply and I should be able to through check my luggage in ZQN. However, I just did the OLCI on QR and got the classical problem with them that I am checked-in but they did not send the boarding passes and I am asked to get them at the airport. I am flying to Canada on a Canadian passport, but it does not seem to matter to them... So I was wondering if there is any chance I can get my boarding passes without having to go through customs and going to QR check-in counter?
Originally Posted by Phileas
Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciated. Currently in the lounge at ZQN. It took some convincing to get the staff to acknowledge that we had the right to through check the luggage, but once they confirmed it with QF in AKL, they went out of their way to make it work. It took more than one hour for them, but in the end, they through checked the bags. On top of that, without having me to ask, they felt bad that we would have to go through customs in SYD, so they arranged to have someone meet with me at the arrival gate to give me a boarding pass so I can directly go to the lounge. Let's hope it goes as expected in SYD...
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Phileas was successful interlining on a QF award (BAEC avios?) ZQN SYD to a QR flight SYD-DOH, as below. (SYD airport thread)
Best to print out the QF rules. How much time in HKG if QF will not interline?
I have 7 hours, but I would rather not clear immigration and re check in at HKG as BA check in doesn't open until 3 hours before. Phileas situation is different as his QF ticket was the award where mine is the other way around.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:13 pm

Rather grumpy with Qantas at MEL. I'm on a First Class LH ticket (220 stock), MEL-SIN-FRA, then another FRA-LHR, also 220 stock.

LH are the MSC for the purposes of the baggage rules and they allow LH to LH itineraries to be checked through on different PNRs (indeed *A to *A is fine). However QF point blank refused to do this, whilst admitting that they could.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.