Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

A380 water from the hold "triple filtered" in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 water from the hold "triple filtered" in J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I find it hard to believe QF would risk a major health issue by not ensuring the tanks are kept sanitised.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by GulkanaAlaska
The jugs are NOT silver, they are stainless steel, which also has antibacterial properties—its why commercial kitchens counters, etc. are SS.
This was reported by a leaked internal document in December. QF stated that the jugs were to be silver, as referenced in the article that leaked this.
Qantas takes bottled water out of biz class | Plane Talking
If what you have observed is highly polished stainless steel that serves the same purpose, then so be it.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bensyd
I find it hard to believe QF would risk a major health issue by not ensuring the tanks are kept sanitised.
Indeed - it has been that standard way of delivering drinking water in Economy for sometime, and it has been used in Business for six months or so. There doesn't seem to have been too many issues.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Well if passengers get wind of this, they will start buying their own water to bring on board - hence more weight. Sounds like crew is bringing their own on board already.

Last edited by cova; Jun 12, 2016 at 8:59 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:51 am

Tens of millions of passengers have been drinking potable water for over a decade on QF aircraft.

Crew are entitled to one bottler of water and this is what the OP would have seen in the galley. I don't know of any crew who bring on their own water.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eoinnz
Tens of millions of passengers have been drinking potable water for over a decade on QF aircraft.

Crew are entitled to one bottler of water and this is what the OP would have seen in the galley. I don't know of any crew who bring on their own water.
Is this a contract item with the crew?

Why would it be necessary to provide bottled water to the crew but not passengers?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:52 am

It is written that crew are to be supplied with a bottle of water but all passengers are still provided an initial bottle of water.

So everyone including crew are getting one bottle of water.

It's more of a practical thing for crew. It can be easily taken around the aircraft and it's handy to take into the bunks.

Individual passenger water bottles in Business are now replenished with potable water (as has always been the case in economy). Crew would also have to fill theirs up using potable once consumed.

First Class still continues to receive bottle water.

Last edited by eoinnz; Jun 12, 2016 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by cova
Well if passengers get wind of this, they will start buying their own water to bring on board - hence more weight. Sounds like crew is bringing their own on board already.
Have you never been through secondary security immediately before boarding - where the poor sods that go through carry ons are specifically looking for water bottles?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by GulkanaAlaska
The jugs are NOT silver, they are stainless steel, which also has antibacterial properties—its why commercial kitchens counters, etc. are SS.
Unfortunately stainless steel does not have anti-microbial properties. It is used in commercial kitchens as it does not corrode in the presence of water, food acids etc. and is easy to clean.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by perthite
There doesn't seem to have been too many issues.
But there have been issues with other airlines. For example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...hygiene-tests/

Ensuring safe water is a non trivial exercise and there are many ways in which things can go wrong, not to mention that it is impractical to test for each loading of water: see the summary training document for the US system;

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...uction_pdf.pdf

There may be safety and security protocols in place to ensure crew are not all affected if the water supply is compromised for whatever reason (i.e. not all drinking from the same source).

The question for travellers is are you better off drinking the aircraft potable water or bottled water?

Personally, I'd take the bottled water, given the choice, for the simple reason that the applicable testing regime is more likely to catch a problem based on my (admittedly limited) initial readings on the subject and (admittedly rusty) postgraduate level experience in water quality and microbiology.

Incidentally, in the US, the tap water comes under the EPA and bottled water under FDA (bottled water is classified as a "food").

PS. I also tend to favour bottled water when travelling having been unwittingly "exposed" to the Cryptosporidia and Giardia contamination in Sydney in 1998 and subsequent scares and to this day boil tap water at home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Sydney_water_crisis

and 2010:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-06-0...ne-away/854462

Last edited by Platy; Jun 12, 2016 at 11:13 pm
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Love the spirited debate - if it's a 'weight' thing, then why don't the crew / pilots drink water from the hold?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shuuy
Love the spirited debate - if it's a 'weight' thing, then why don't the crew / pilots drink water from the hold?
Do none of the pilots or cabin crew drink tea or coffee?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by shuuy

It was never claimed to be a weight thing. It was to reduce landfill.

You are still loading water. Makes no difference what is comes in - it is still weight.

Pilots and crew do drink from the hold as well. They, like the passengers, also get a bottle too as it's slightly more practical. There is no tap in the flight deck and you can't be running up a cup of water every 5 seconds.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Weight wise it would make a difference I suspect. There is probably a lot of wasteage of water carried where bottle is opened but doesn't get fully drunk

If N Kg of water bottles loaded with Y Kg of water in part drunk bottles, the amount carried could be reduced by Ykg

I personally do not see fixation some have of bottled water ; I buy a bottle occasionally if I need to, but then tend to reuse it by filling from a tap
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
How on earth did any of us survive before bottled water came along? Just imagine what those old 707 water tanks may have been like...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.