Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF double status credits

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Of course the 738 hard product will be less than the 380 hard product, but the JetConnect crew IME have been professional and have done everything expected to make the (short) flight as comfortable as possible given the cabin constraints.
Travelled AKL-BNE on the EK A380 service a few days ago...business class was absolutely full (which was great since I was upgraded to first as a QF Platinum - first also full).

So EK manages to fill about 90 premium seats on a mid week flight and QF is piddling around with a dozen seats each on 737s with a low domestic grade hard product?!

Very disappointing that QF is excluding code shares from the double status credit promotion since a trip to NZ combining a domestic flex business leg (e.g. 760 credits roundtrip ex CNS to AKL/CHC) with a first leg on EK would have been a nice little earner and very comfortable...
Old May 2, 2016, 3:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Platy
Very disappointing that QF is excluding code shares from the double status credit promotion since a trip to NZ combining a domestic flex business leg (e.g. 760 credits roundtrip ex CNS to AKL/CHC) with a first leg on EK would have been a nice little earner and very comfortable...
So you're expecting something for nothing?!

Perhaps it indicates just how little benefit QF gets from its code sharing on some other metal.

Last edited by og; May 2, 2016 at 11:33 pm Reason: changed "meal" to "metal" (blame "autocorrect" too early in the morning...
Old May 2, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og

Perhaps it indicates just how little benefit QF gets from its code sharing on some other meal.
I can understand why the codeshares are excluded, although IIRC this is probably the first time they have been.
We just do not know the commercial benefits QF has with each of its codeshare arrangements, so who knows if QF gets more revenue selling tickets on its Jetconnect flights or from the EK operated flights.
For me I think I will just forsake the indulgence of EK First and take the QF flights from WLG and reconnect with the crew that I used to know and love.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From WLG I can understand taking a non stop service despite it being a lot lower quality offering, but if departing AKL , I wouldn't be choosing QF . Pricewise I found CI to be a great option , but after that EK would win over taking a QF offering just for some SCs
Old May 3, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ *G, Le Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by og
Of course the 738 hard product will be less than the 380 hard product, but the JetConnect crew IME have been professional and have done everything expected to make the (short) flight as comfortable as possible given the cabin constraints.
I don't disagree re the crew, they have always been great in Business and Economy on the 738. And to be fair its not comparing apples with apples. That said I do that trip at least twice a month, and it is often the case AKL-SYD that the fare is about the same using the QF code and there is no choice there. CHC to SYD I am 50/50 on as EK have 777's there and its not a great hard product. Agree with others though CI has been very good this year for business fares AKL to CHC to SYD, sometimes less than $800 return and not a bad product at all value wise.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by ssnz
I don't disagree re the crew, they have always been great in Business and Economy on the 738. And to be fair its not comparing apples with apples. That said I do that trip at least twice a month, and it is often the case AKL-SYD that the fare is about the same using the QF code and there is no choice there. CHC to SYD I am 50/50 on as EK have 777's there and its not a great hard product. Agree with others though CI has been very good this year for business fares AKL to CHC to SYD, sometimes less than $800 return and not a bad product at all value wise.
Comparing business class on a Qantas codeshare vs business class on a Qantas flight seems a fare comparison

CI's fares are great , decent onboard service and ( on flights I have taken ) been really nice and empty in the business cabin

I would say that EK's business cabin on a 777 is far better than QF's business cabin on a 737
Old May 3, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
What exactly does the following mean...

"Only one double Status Credits offer can be used per individual qualifying segment of your itinerary. However, double Status Credits may be earned on multiple eligible flight bookings if you book and travel within the promotional dates as listed above." (From the T&C of the offer)

Does this mean that only the 1st segment of my ADL-MEL-OOL-MEL-ADL trip will qualify for the double SC offer (not to mention the 2 other 4 segment trips that I have booked in the last 4 days...)

Confused...
Old May 3, 2016, 6:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by medicus
What exactly does the following mean...

"Only one double Status Credits offer can be used per individual qualifying segment of your itinerary. However, double Status Credits may be earned on multiple eligible flight bookings if you book and travel within the promotional dates as listed above." (From the T&C of the offer)

Does this mean that only the 1st segment of my ADL-MEL-OOL-MEL-ADL trip will qualify for the double SC offer (not to mention the 2 other 4 segment trips that I have booked in the last 4 days...)

Confused...
I took it to mean that say you booked 2 seats on the same flight (i.e., for larger passengers) you only get SC once. I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og

Perhaps it indicates just how little benefit QF gets from its code sharing on some other metal.
Something for nothing...eh? Joking aside, give me a break....please consider:
  • The flights ain't free, fella, we are paying for them, and likely in business class: the promotion is designed to accelerate sales, flush out some extra bookings up front with end of financial year coming up
  • QF does generally counts its codeshare arrangements in bonus status credit promotions (IIRC)
  • QF has already set up a model which is simpler and fairer for the airline (= complicated and derisory for the customer) in its allocation of status credits
  • Promoting additional status credit earn does not compromise QF's liabilities compared with, say, alternative marketing vehicles such as a double points earn promotion, or sale fares with reduced revenue per mile

Not sure what QF has to lose here - maybe a small percentage of customers will attain a higher status level than otherwise - so what - does QF want to lock in customer loyalty or not?

Code share commercials may differ from partner to partner. In the case of there being a block space codeshare (QF purchased a fixed number of seats) I would imagine QF would want to ensure its allocation is 100% utilised. If such is well patronised the promo wouldn't be necessary, if not the promo may have cost effective promotional value.

However, if there are cases of free flow codeshare (seat allocation not locked in), the promo might increase volume of business in a case where QF is not liable for the running costs of the operation of the flight: can't see how QF can lose here if its cost model of such is already robust (assuming it is highly unlikely double status would undermine the revenue for such seat sales).

The problem for QF is that is has a very very small international footprint so needs codeshares and to promote them in its business model.

When all is said and done, QF is simply boostings its books, perhaps trying to manipulate the all important revenue per mile metrics to boost the apparent success of that very very lucky (read collapse in fuel prices) little fella at the top...

...and in any case we are getting far less for our loyalty that we used to (e.g. removal of ASAs, less status credits on partner airlines, etc) so to some extent QF is only giving back a very small amount for a very limited amount of time having already torn the guts out of the value proposition for its most loyal frequent flyers...

Last edited by Platy; May 3, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Old May 3, 2016, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssnz
You can't compare apples with apples only because QF choses not to put competitive product in the marketplace. It's relying on its codeshare with EK to provide product of a genuine international standard.

Remember that Air NZ manages to run 787s and 777s between NZ and Australia (SYD, BNE, MEL, PER) in addition to the A320 product - that practice can't be passed off as a convenient aircraft turnaround on fifth freedom route.

It does come down to the crews and most on QF and its (avoid paying the going wage) suppliers are excellent: it's the anti-customer decisions from the executive that often have me scratching my head...

PS Flew the LAN 787 SYD-AKL recently on a business class fare which was embarrassing cheap (half the QF pricing) and all aspects of the product / service were excellent.

Last edited by Platy; May 3, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Old May 3, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ *G, Le Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Platy

PS Flew the LAN 787 SYD-AKL recently on a business class fare which was embarrassing cheap (half the QF pricing) and all aspects of the product / service were excellent.
Agreed that the LAN product is great, and if booked in advance can be < $900 return AKL-SYD.

They are sketchy on keeping to time though - have had several delays AKL to SYD. Hard product however, top class.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Skyteam Gold, VA Gold
I fell for this promo too!

Originally Posted by PabloM
I was originally confused by this:

but if you put it the 2 ways it can be read, I think it means you can change, as long as the dates aren't outside the promo period of April 16 - April 17:

It doesn't make sense if you book a more flexible class of travel and then change it, that you wouldn't get the DSC.

I fell for the promo too thinking that I could book travel well in advance for October & November and then change the dates nearer the time. The ticket itself allows changes. But now I know my real dates QFF are saying any change means no DSC! They quoted me the same ambiguous line of T&C as above. How unfair and petty is that. I've kept up my side of the offer, I registered, booked and paid within the promo period and the new dates remain within the original travel period. So my spend remains the same, I will even spend more changing the fly dates! Really it's just a complete scam.

Last edited by AMOZ; Aug 31, 2016 at 3:00 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:19 am

I do not see that there is anything that QF has done wrong

"Book an eligible Qantas operated flight between 28 April and 4 May 2016"

If you make the change now, this is a flight booking made outside of the promotion period
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I had made multiple different flight changes (same day @ airport, with my travel agent).

So long as I did not change the routing, the double status credits posted without issue 3-4 business days later, with the exception of switching SCL-SYD from QF to LA metal.

The promotion netted me 1,100 bonus status credits in total.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Skyteam Gold, VA Gold
Dave, Don't you think it's being a bit petty on the part of the airline?

I registered and booked the flights within their promo booking period, way in advance of the travel dates. I'm now trying to change only the travel dates not the flight numbers, to within the same travel period. A move that will cost me more money. So where's the problem for Qantas, why would they even consider that restriction as a condition other than to try to limit the offer. The intention of the offer was to get one to travel with Qantas and I was still proposing to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.