Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

how often does QF adjust flight times?

Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Specifically, QF94.

Is the time of departure updated/changed monthly, quarterly, etc?

I now have a misconnect by a handful of minutes, but if the schedule only updates every six months, don't need to bother checking daily until my departure.

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a minimum QF does change timetables with Aust daylight saving changeover. And the same in other countries with daylight saving where QF fly to/from.

QF publish a pdf timetable. Seems to be about every 30 days. But no idea if flight times change or just published
http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...able/global/en
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As a minimum QF does change timetables with Aust daylight saving changeover. And the same in other countries with daylight saving where QF fly to/from.

QF publish a pdf timetable. Seems to be about every 30 days. But no idea if flight times change or just published
Thank you, but if that means there won't be any schedule changes until 3 April, I'm sure the changes would start X days out from that point. I would need a change BY April for service IN April.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: QFF
Airlines change flight times all the time as demand and capacity requirements change. Normally much more higher frequency routes. These sorts of changes are normally minor (eg, cancel one flight, adjust the times of the surrounding flights slightly. Change aircraft between 737 and A330, adjust times accordingly).

The major changes tend to be seasonal (winter/summer) and as different timezones enter/exit daylight saving.

It's not so much time changes that you should check on often. The airline should tell you about any time changes anyway (though some airlines are better at that then others). It's aircraft changes that many people check for often. The airlines won't tell you about these, and you could end up with different seats even between different aircraft of the same type.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:21 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Case in point, I've had significantly shortened AA domestic connections (2 hrs) which haven't been notified. Pure chance I checked and saved a crisis. DIY bookings that we are doing need close monitoring quite regularly.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:43 am

Some flights, particularly longer flights, have slight adjustments to flight times on a regular basis to take into account changes to prevailing winds.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Specifically, QF94.
I believe that this is an international flight.

As Mwenenzi says, there are broadly two sets of schedules every year - although it's one for each of the two IATA scheduling seasons rather than specifically to do with Australian daylight saving time. There will be many one-hour adjustments in the timetable within any scheduling season if daylight saving time changes on a date within the season, either at the origin or the destination, but typically this is merely a local time adjustment, and the GMT/UTC times for the flight remain the same.

Many airlines have burst of activity a couple of months or so before the start of each season when the international schedules are finalised. After that, they tend to be fairly stable.

Of course, events can intervene and make further adjustments necessary. But IME once that schedule-change period has been and gone for any scheduling season, such adjustments are less frequent than for those seen, for example, on US domestic flights.

When is your flight?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
Case in point, I've had significantly shortened AA domestic connections (2 hrs) which haven't been notified. Pure chance I checked and saved a crisis. DIY bookings that we are doing need close monitoring quite regularly.
OP here. That's exactly what happened in my case. Hoping now to be able to connect again, but would need a slight schedule adjustment almost ASAP.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I believe that this is an international flight.

As Mwenenzi says, there are broadly two sets of schedules every year - although it's one for each of the two IATA scheduling seasons rather than specifically to do with Australian daylight saving time. There will be many one-hour adjustments in the timetable within any scheduling season if daylight saving time changes on a date within the season, either at the origin or the destination, but typically this is merely a local time adjustment, and the GMT/UTC times for the flight remain the same.

Many airlines have burst of activity a couple of months or so before the start of each season when the international schedules are finalised. After that, they tend to be fairly stable.

Of course, events can intervene and make further adjustments necessary. But IME once that schedule-change period has been and gone for any scheduling season, such adjustments are less frequent than for those seen, for example, on US domestic flights.

When is your flight?
Thanks for the detailed info. Roughly 70 days from now.

QF94 shows the same departure time for the next 330 days.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Roughly 70 days from now.
If my maths are right, that makes it about early May?

If so, your flight is in northern summer 2016. That season starts on 27 March 2016, which is less than 5 weeks away. I reckon that any schedule changing that QF was going to do would have been done by now, so personally I would be working on the presumption that the time of your flight in early May will not now change.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If my maths are right, that makes it about early May?

If so, your flight is in northern summer 2016. That season starts on 27 March 2016, which is less than 5 weeks away. I reckon that any schedule changing that QF was going to do would have been done by now, so personally I would be working on the presumption that the time of your flight in early May will not now change.
Yes, it would appear so. Shot in the dark but had to ask. I seem to be constantly on the wrong side of schedule changes lately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.