Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lavatory use on AA flights from the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lavatory use on AA flights from the USA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Lavatory use on AA flights from the USA

Interesting thread on the AA forum that is of interest for people on QF flights on AA metal.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
It appears that in flights out of the U.S.A. that economy passengers are entitled to use the business and first class toilets. And that the F.A. aren't too worried if the economy people use them on flights into the U.S.A either.
I can see that this is a bonus if you are in economy, but a bit of an issue if you are paying for the privilege of business or first.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
On my recent JQ flights to/from HNL, the crew specifically quoted the TSA requirement that pax were required to use the toilets in their own cabins. So, from the OP's comment does this mean that AA crew are acting inconsistently with their Government's rules?

Last edited by og; Feb 10, 2016 at 11:38 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
People tend to post anything, never really seen anyone from the rear using the bathrooms up front...

They ask you to stay in your own cabin...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Economy passengers are not entitled to use the business class toilets - all it is is that there is no actual legal prohibition to it, unlike for flights to the USA

There is nothing that prohibits an economy class passenger on Qantas on a flight to UK from using the business or 1st class toilets, however such actions are likely to be addressed by cabin crew

I will say that AA cabin crew can be amongst the worst and some think that they are there to read magazines and so there are some that would not care much if passengers did use the wrong toilets
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Just about every USA bound (or exiting) flight (let alone just about every QF flight I have been on) have had the announcements that you are to use the lavs in "your ticketed cabin" (UA love to use that phrase ). Now QF/NZ/UA (who I have flown on over the years) have all claimed it to be either a TSA rule or FAA (or whatever) but it's always been clear. QF also of course basically tell people to use their "own" (class) lavs since well, J pax don't want or need Y in their lavs and so on.

I would be very surprised if AA had a formal policy regarding this. sounds like someone just went forward and a FA didn't make a big deal about it so suddenly it's OK.

Not in my experience.

Of course there's announced policies and what goes on in flight.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi, if you look at the thread there is this message at the top which is american airlines policy -
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers).

If I was an AA economy flyer and was allowed to use the J loos on the flight going from the USA, I might well believe I was entitled to use it on the way back as well - regardless of announcements.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Good thing I've booked AA to LAX and QF back then !!
Couldn't bear the thought of queuing up behind the coach passengers
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Good thing I've booked AA to LAX and QF back then !!
Couldn't bear the thought of queuing up behind the coach passengers
OMG - does this mean having to wear shoes to the toilets instead of just sox?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Just about every USA bound (or exiting) flight (let alone just about every QF flight I have been on) have had the announcements that you are to use the lavs in "your ticketed cabin" (UA love to use that phrase ). Now QF/NZ/UA (who I have flown on over the years) have all claimed it to be either a TSA rule or FAA (or whatever) but it's always been clear. QF also of course basically tell people to use their "own" (class) lavs since well, J pax don't want or need Y in their lavs and so on.
The only announcement QF make about toilets is on the 737 that there is one in the front for business and two down the back for economy.

I'm not aware of any requirement to tell passengers to use toilets in their respective cabins on QF flights to the USA nor have I ever heard it.

Last edited by eoinnz; Feb 12, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I would like them to tell passengers that is not a changing room and it is not "make-up".
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:28 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Really fascinating. But unless this thread goes in the direction of at least pretending to have something to do with QF I will have to close it soon. [/mod hat]
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eoinnz
The only announcement QF make about toilets is on the 737 that there is one in the front for business and two down the back for economy.

I'm not aware of any requirement to tell passengers to use toilets in their respective cabins on QF flights to the USA nor have I ever heard it.
Interesting difference in approach between QF and JQ services to USA. As stated above, I specifically recall from less than a week ago the JQ announcement quoting "the TSA requirement" at pax use the toilets in their ticketted cabins.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
While I agree there is inconsistency of "enforcement" of the use of lavatories on AA domestic flights the major breaches occur when FAs are working the plane with their carts. I fly in the front all the time (AA's very good to its ExecPlats for comp upgrades) and seldom face delays in using the washroom due to passengers from the back cabin lining up to use the one in front. More inconvenient is when the pilots use the loo and FAs block the aisle with a food service cart so nobody can enter the galley/door area. Pilots generally tend to linger and chat, keeping the loo in "lock down".

While I admit to being mildly irritated by the sight of a mere coach passenger transgressing on our hallowed loo, it's seldom a never ending flow of violations.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I would like them to tell passengers that is not a changing room and it is not "make-up".
[obscure post follows]. The changing room is further forward. Calling Gold Flyer ...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are no TSA rules.

There are DHS rules governing all international flights destined for the US. That includes both AA and QF. The rule prohibits passenger movement between cabins.

US law does not prohibit passenger movement between cabins on domestic flights. It is up to a carrier to impose its own safety and security rules. AA does not impose such a rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.