Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEL Transit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

MEL Transit

Arriving into MEL from NZ (Air NZ) at around 17:30 before an international flight to LHR @23:30 with QF in J. Not sure if I can check my bags all the way through to London- and if I should go through transit in MEL and hang around- or go into the city. Any help/ advice appreciated, thanks
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
You won't have enough time to get in to the city and back and do anything meaningful whilst there. You'd have 2 hours tops in the city if transport worked in your favor.

Conservative timings.
Arr @ 17:30
Out through customs @ 18:00
Taxi or Skybus to City by 18:45

Need to be back at airport by say 21:30 at the latest so leave city at 20:45

Cost of transport anywhere from $36 for bus to $120 for taxi.

Depending how long you are away for maybe look at buying a 30 day Admiral's Club membership which you can use to get in to the Qantas Club in Melbourne and the Admiral's Club in Heathrow T3 (if you are flying QF back)

Cheaper than a rtn trip to the city and a meal.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/mel-club.jsp

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/lhr-club.jsp

edit: Forget that last bit, just realised you are flying J... I'd just go the Qantas Bus Lounge (or CX lounge) and stay there

Last edited by Guvner067; Jan 14, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi mkdoc,

There is an Interline Agreement between NZ/QF however I'm guessing you're asking the question since you're on separate tickets? In that case I believe you'll need to retrieve your bags and recheck with QF.

I'm pretty sure J check-in for QF9 opens at t-4hrs and so you won't be able to drop your bags until 19:30 anyway (others may contradict ... I've had no problems dropping bags slightly before this at the First Check-In suite - for which you'd need to be OWE/QF WP); being restricted to this check-in time would definitely preclude you from making a trip to the CBD.

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by BD1959
Hi mkdoc,

There is an Interline Agreement between NZ/QF however I'm guessing you're asking the question since you're on separate tickets? In that case I believe you'll need to retrieve your bags and recheck with QF.

I'm pretty sure J check-in for QF9 opens at t-4hrs and so you won't be able to drop your bags until 19:30 anyway (others may contradict ... I've had no problems dropping bags slightly before this at the First Check-In suite - for which you'd need to be OWE/QF WP); being restricted to this check-in time would definitely preclude you from making a trip to the CBD.

Regards,

BD
Thanks, yes I am travelling on separate tickets so guess I will have to collect my bags and then recheck them in with QF but a shame I will not be able to do that till t-4. My friends were coming to meet me for dinner but now can't make it.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Only one other comment. Not sure if you really have to be back at the airport by 21:30 if already checked in. I routinely arrive at MEL for SQ departures at about 60-70 mins before the flight (for checkin which closes at T-45) and have never even missed a visit to the lounge, let alone the flight. But always relying on private transport , so that is one factor that makes it easier to do this. If flying J you will have express pass that should make it quicker to get through security and immigration if it is busy.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:24 am

Had to collect bags, and no one at check in, so have been allowed in to the QF domestic lounge and will then pick up bags from left luggage and check in at around 8pm -thanks for all the help
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Do I need to clear Immigration in Melbourne and check in landside with QF or does QF have a Transfer desk Airside International? I have no checked bags.

Arrive Philippine Airlines 8:30AM
Depart QF to LAX 11:15AM

Separate Itineraries.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No need to clear immigration since no checked bags. There is no transit desk - you get boarding pass for the onward flight at the gate about an hour before departure (or at the lounge if you have access).
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No need to clear immigration since no checked bags. There is no transit desk - you get boarding pass for the onward flight at the gate about an hour before departure (or at the lounge if you have access).
OP stated separate itineraries. If OLCI has not been done, then they may have problems with attempted check-in at the gate an hour before departure (if in Y):
International Qantas operated services at all Australian international airports (QF1-QF399)
Latest check-in
Economy or Premium Economy: 90 minutes
Business or First: 60 minutes
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by og
OP stated separate itineraries. If OLCI has not been done, then they may have problems with attempted check-in at the gate an hour before departure (if in Y):
International Qantas operated services at all Australian international airports (QF1-QF399)
Latest check-in
Economy or Premium Economy: 90 minutes
Business or First: 60 minutes
I doubt there will be an issue unless attempting to check in just before boarding completes. It is QF that chooses not to have a transfer desk and to only man the gate desk about 1 hour before departure, and it follows therefore they accept passengers may check in that close to departure.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:03 am

Can I get a boarding pass at the Qantas lounge?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by davistev
Can I get a boarding pass at the Qantas lounge?
Yes
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by og
Yes
issue solved then. Thanks. It is rare to find myself in this situation of transiting within my own country.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:34 pm

The Qantas lounge sent me to the gate to get the pass. The gate agent was not too impressed. She wanted to know how I got into the terminal without a boarding pass and so I explained that I just arrived on an incoming international flight. I asked about seating on the LAX flight and she said it is pretty tight and that my seat was good. Yet again, the lazy finger syndrome strikes me again. The flight had rows of empty seats and I was stuck seated next to another big guy. I was too slow in moving over and so I just crawled into my sardine can compartment for the next 15 hours. I really hope the 787 economy seats will give us more room in economy than the A380 / A330 nightmare.

Sometimes I wonder where Qantas gets their ground staff from, as they certainly are not of the same calibre as their flight crew.

Anyway - I made my tight connection. All ok!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by davistev
The Qantas lounge sent me to the gate to get the pass. ...
That is really weird.

I have never had problems getting a BP for an international QF flight from an Airside Qantas Business/First lounge in the departure terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.