Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Domestic to International connection at Sydney

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic to International connection at Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I find it funny you flying from MEL to SYD to fly to BKK when in Jan I flew OOL to MEL to fly to BKK on Jetstar. I had a 2.3 hr connection but ended up in a panic after the flight from OOL was delayed by over an hour. Just made it but not by much.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suziemay
Completed my trip and reporting back! Actual transfer between terminals took 25 minutes, but that's because my MEL-SYD flight was on time, there was no line at immigration, and the seamless transfer bus was right there for me to board.
Thanks for reporting back. Good it worked out. So all the stars aligned, but that does not always happen.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by suziemay
Completed my trip and reporting back! Actual transfer between terminals took 25 minutes, but that's because my MEL-SYD flight was on time, there was no line at immigration, and the seamless transfer bus was right there for me to board. Probably for future transfers I would be comfortable with 90 minutes (I allowed myself 2.5 hours for this trip).
Good to hear, suziemay - care to buy me a lotto ticket??

Regards,

BD
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
3) It sometimes takes a while for the bus to get to the international terminal due to stopping and starting a lot due to ground traffic - the longest I had was about 20 min
Mine took 25min this morning.

And also they're doing lots of construction in T1 at the moment, it's a bit of a rabbit warren. So there's that, too.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:26 am

Obviously there are a range of experiences with this. I've made the transfer in less than half an hour every time this year (5 trips). In fact one time I was the only person on the bus for an 8.30am Tuesday transfer.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Funnily enough was speaking to a Virgin staffer the other day,

Obviously their Dom-Int connection isn't as good as it goes via the outside roads (I assume partially because of the location of their terminal)

They were saying that in peak hour / for pax with tight connections, rather than using the bus they will put pax on the train -- much quicker and not subject to congestion on the outside roads!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I'm doing this route in February. MEL-SYD on QF414 (08:00-09:25) connecting onto QF23 at 10:30. I have little more than an hour. Quick question. Where does the bus leave from SYD T3?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

By Gate 15

See https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...nal3/global/en
Strawb likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Strawb
I'm doing this route in February. MEL-SYD on QF414 (08:00-09:25) connecting onto QF23 at 10:30. I have little more than an hour. Quick question. Where does the bus leave from SYD T3?
The shuttle bus departs from gate 15 which is adjacent to the food court and is only a short walk from whatever gate you disembark from. I would try to get on an earlier flight on the day eg the 0700 so try to get to the airport around 0600 and tell staff you're concerned you may miss your flight if you only have one hour.

I always have several hours in SYD to either catch up with family between flights or a visit to the F Lounge but I've seen too many cases where pax only have one hour have missed their flight due to unforeseen events eg ATC delays in SYD due to single runway ops in high winds, a fail to board pax with bags, late inbound aircraft or operating crew etc. Not worth the risk.
Strawb likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ozflygirl747
The shuttle bus departs from gate 15 which is adjacent to the food court and is only a short walk from whatever gate you disembark from. I would try to get on an earlier flight on the day eg the 0700 so try to get to the airport around 0600 and tell staff you're concerned you may miss your flight if you only have one hour.

I always have several hours in SYD to either catch up with family between flights or a visit to the F Lounge but I've seen too many cases where pax only have one hour have missed their flight due to unforeseen events eg ATC delays in SYD due to single runway ops in high winds, a fail to board pax with bags, late inbound aircraft or operating crew etc. Not worth the risk.
+1

Inspite of this connection apparently being OK with MCT, it’s still to tight for my confort. The only positive is that emigration is now much faster with the electronic passport checking. I’d try to get an Express card from QF so you can get the Express line (if its open given that it wasn’t a month ago due to building works). And I’d certainly ask QF at MEL if they can put on an earlier fight - they have done that for me when they can see there is a good reason.
Strawb likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Thanks for the suggestions and good advice, I will certainly come to the airport a bit earlier and ask to be put on an earlier flight. ^
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Originally Posted by moa999
Funnily enough was speaking to a Virgin staffer the other day,
Obviously their Dom-Int connection isn't as good as it goes via the outside roads (I assume partially because of the location of their terminal)
OT, I do realise, but for anyone reading this and looking for info on VA, yes, I realise this is the QF side of the forum, at SYD now, VAd uses the internal road as what the QF transfer buses use.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by ConradS
Obviously there are a range of experiences with this. I've made the transfer in less than half an hour every time this year (5 trips). In fact one time I was the only person on the bus for an 8.30am Tuesday transfer.

Glad the OP's connection went well. I've had a mixed bag of experiences, as others have noted the bus is a focus. What I almost always see is other passengers stressed about their connections. They may not be frequent flyers but message is that it doesn't feel easy.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Are there any plans for Sydney Airport to ever address the issue of Int/Dom transfers with a faster service, like a train or monorail between the terminals? I've had to do the transfer a fair few times and have preferred in some instances to go to Melbourne as it's an easier transfer. At least I feel in control by walking between the two terminals that having to wait 10 to 20 mins for a bus you hope turns up and you hope you can get on!!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by dddc
Are there any plans for Sydney Airport to ever address the issue of Int/Dom transfers with a faster service, like a train or monorail between the terminals? I've had to do the transfer a fair few times and have preferred in some instances to go to Melbourne as it's an easier transfer. At least I feel in control by walking between the two terminals that having to wait 10 to 20 mins for a bus you hope turns up and you hope you can get on!!
QF have been working on the plan to amalgamate all domestic and international ops into a single terminal at SYD. If that gets the OK, then that'll overcome the QF connection issues. No doubt VA and every operator might be unhappy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.