Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Domestic to International connection at Sydney

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic to International connection at Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by dddc
Are there any plans for Sydney Airport to ever address the issue of Int/Dom transfers with a faster service, like a train or monorail between the terminals?
There is already a train between the international and domestic sides of the airport.

IIRC, in the very long term there is a plan to cease the concept of separate international/domestic terminals at SYD so that (for example) all QF operations will be in the same terminal. It would then work more like MEL does, and perhaps there will be scope for it to be even more streamlined than MEL. But I suspect that this will be a decade or so off yet, if it ever happens.

I have to say that I've never understood the policy that physically separated the international and domestic sides of airports in the way that they are.
Originally Posted by og
No doubt VA and every operator might be unhappy.
They might be happier if all of VA's domestic and international operations are also in the same terminal? There would then be choices between easy domestic <--> international connections within the same teminal, and more difficult connections if you have to change terminals - but that is a common issue at many big multi-terminal airports, and at worst nobody will be worse off doing a domestic <--> international connection than under the current system.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I have to say that I've never understood the policy that physically separated the international and domestic sides of airports in the way that they are..
Go back to the days of the Department of Aviation (pre FAC) and try to understand the logic of the guys who made the decisions - most / all long departed. I think the assumption was that connections were not part of the deal. Why would anyone live in something that was not a capital city? And why would they need to fly overseas? QANTAS flew overseas, TAA and Ansett flew domestic. Perfect operations - under legislation..
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
There is already a train between the international and domestic sides of the airport.

IIRC, in the very long term there is a plan to cease the concept of separate international/domestic terminals at SYD so that (for example) all QF operations will be in the same terminal. It would then work more like MEL does, and perhaps there will be scope for it to be even more streamlined than MEL. But I suspect that this will be a decade or so off yet, if it ever happens.

I have to say that I've never understood the policy that physically separated the international and domestic sides of airports in the way that they are.They might be happier if all of VA's domestic and international operations are also in the same terminal? There would then be choices between easy domestic <--> international connections within the same teminal, and more difficult connections if you have to change terminals - but that is a common issue at many big multi-terminal airports, and at worst nobody will be worse off doing a domestic <--> international connection than under the current system.
But I'm assuming there is a cost to the train service? I know at Brisbane there is a $5 charge for the Skytrain, but a free bus service - which seems to run every 10 mins during the day, not 20 after the morning rush at Syd.

The one terminal concept is a bit like how some of the US terminals operate isn't it? JFK springs to mind where certain airlines operate their international and domestic flights together, although maybe some sort of "wall" between them. Long time since I've been to JFK.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
But I'm assuming there is a cost to the train service? I know at Brisbane there is a $5 charge for the Skytrain, but a free bus service - which seems to run every 10 mins during the day, not 20 after the morning rush at Syd.
The Sydney Airport website gives the current price as $6 for both train and bus: https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ween-terminals

And now that there is a train service, albeit landside, I don't see much likelihood of any additional train or monorail being installed.
The one terminal concept is a bit like how some of the US terminals operate isn't it? JFK springs to mind where certain airlines operate their international and domestic flights together, although maybe some sort of "wall" between them.
Off the top of my head: in addition to your JFK example, LHR T1 and T5 have or have had this; and at FRA, all of LH's operations are within T1.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The Sydney Airport website gives the current price as $6 for both train and bus: https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ween-terminals ...
There is Also the 400 Bus which can be had for $2.30 ... https://transportnsw.info/trip#/?wSp...62680:GDAV:nsw
mattm199 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I want to transfer from QF domestic arr SYD T3 07:15 to UA international T1 departure 09:15, on a Sunday morning. My connect time is 2 hrs, and I will have checked bags.

1) Will QF interline if it is on the same ticket?
2) Can I used the gate 15 airside transfer?

What about if I am not on the same ticket? (it is a RTW ticket issued by UA or LH, not certain if I can add the QF sector)

thanks
Old May 29, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
You will have to have your international boarding pass scanned as you go down the stairs to the bus at SYDd gate 15.
Not that I am sure, but you can always ask at your originating airport if they will interline your checked bags all the way.
If they say no, then you have no choice but to go to domestic baggage claim, and then get a taxi to SYDi.
I haven't done an interline thats not in the same alliance, so can't say for sure what will happen.
Edit: I see its on a different PNR, and that you are trying to tab/tag on a domestic QF flight onto the RTW trip.
Note that if that QF flight is late into SYD, you are going to miss your UA flight.
Ideally, if it were me, I would overnight in SYD at the Ibis budget and get a taxi to international, calling for a taxi the night before, first shuttle if you call using the operator by Ibis budget departs the hotel at 5am.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; May 29, 2018 at 9:10 am
Old May 29, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I want to transfer from QF domestic arr SYD T3 07:15 to UA international T1 departure 09:15, on a Sunday morning. My connect time is 2 hrs, and I will have checked bags.

1) Will QF interline if it is on the same ticket?
2) Can I used the gate 15 airside transfer?

What about if I am not on the same ticket? (it is a RTW ticket issued by UA or LH, not certain if I can add the QF sector)
  1. QF will interline baggage if on the same ticket.
    However if it is a UA LH RTW (Star Alliance?)ticket would be a little surprised if QF was part of it. Some RTW tickets are alliance based. UA seem to use JQ for Au domestic flights.
  2. If baggage interlined:- Yes.
    If baggage not interlined:- No, as you will have to collect your baggage and make your way across to T1 by the free airport transfer bus, train (paid by you) or number 400 bus(paid by you). 100's of people do this every day.
    In the morning 2:00hr is not a lot of time, especially for a USA bound flight. On separate tickets a high risk of failure. Personally I would never do that, but go to SYD the night before.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Edit.
Other thread by sabbasolo on associated topic:- QF sector on RTW ticket
I'm a little confused on the original premise... how is I/D at LAX any worse than D/I at SYD? I've done MEL-LAX-xxx and haven't had any noticeable issues.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 29, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Thanks for the help and comments. Looking at the uncertainties of baggage interlining in this case, and chance of a delay leading to a missed connection, I have routed MEL-LAX-IAH. Indeed, the difference is not that great. Remember though that Australians don't have Global Entry, even though we let USA people use SmartGate - isn't life unfair?
Old May 30, 2018, 4:16 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
.....UA seem to use JQ for Au domestic flights.
My recent search for UA fares showed heavy use of QF for SYD-MEL sectors (Business booked into D). JQ was not visible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.